AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some pretty high praise for the Cadence XSUB, I decided to order one Monday night. It arrived yesterday.

It is in the same 5700 ^3 foot room that my twin SVS PB12-Ultras have been in for the past two months.

Here are the specs on the unit :

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...&idproduct=192

So far, this $229 subwoofer is REALLY impressive. All I have done yet is to listen to it. We have watched "The Hostage", "Hitch" and for music, Some Pink Floyd and right now I have "FourPlay's" Heartfelt CD on.

Nice, deep, tuneful bass, and while it does not do the below 25 Hz stuff (where you feel it more than hear it)- but I would wager it provides a nice solid foundation to 25 Hz.

More later, but for the guys who need a subwoofer for about $250 delivered to your door, it is a contender...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
It would be great if you could post any measurements or additional listening sessions you do on the Cadence. As you probably know, there is very little objective info on this sub currently on the 'net. You could be a ground breaker! :)

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are three 2 meter, groundplane measurements....

25 Hz:

28 Hz:

32 Hz:

Apologies for the high noise floor - My battery decided to quit working, so I was running on AC, with a moving truck in the background (our neighbors are moving this morning) ...

BUT - This at least shows what the sub can do. Pretty decent for a $229 unit.

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Nice work Craig! Maybe Ed could calculate the THD figures, if you send him that project file (if you saved them)? :)

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops - My wife came home from her Saturday AM kickboxing class, and we got to chatting some stuff about my financial services company, and I closed the "box" without saving it ... :eek:

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would imagine Ed can chime in here later today, but all three of these SPL figures are going to (if I did the math right) be pretty close to 10% THD.

For comparison, here are the PB-10 numbers:

Quote:
25 Hz: 102.2 dB
Quote:
32 Hz: 104.1 dB
and the Cadence numbers to the nearest 1/10th dB

25 Hz: 93 dB

28 Hz: 94.1 dB

32 Hz: 100.3 dB

For $229, the Cadence is an impressive subwoofer. Size and driver excursion (that whole Physics stuff again) do matter, though. Two, stacked Cadence would still be 3 dB below a single PB-10 at 25 Hz.

BUT - and this was the reason I ordered this subwoofer, someone who is budget limited yet wants good bass will be well served by the Cadence.

It also seems to be pretty bullet proof...

The Cadence "specs" show its "XMAX" as being 1.12 inches "peak to peak" ... which is actually double "XMAX" ... Doing the Imperial to Metric conversion, you get a 14.2 MM true X-Max.

The port design is interesting - it is a 4 inch port flared to 5 inches, and is only 7 inches long. I have not run any figures in WIN ISD, but that suggests a fairly high tuning point - which is confirmed in listening and measurements:

Below 25 Hz, there is really not much in the way of output.

Again, it is a $229 subwoofer, so this is not a criticism.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a "picture" of what the Cadence does in our 5700^3 foot theater room. This is the scene from "The Incredibles" in which Mr. Incredible is fighting the 4 legged machine on the island.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Excellent! The cheap & poor forum members salute you!! :)

So, "groundplane" means those measurements were done outside, not in-room - right?

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Excellent! The cheap & poor forum members salute you!! :)

So, "groundplane" means those measurements were done outside, not in-room - right?
Correct - Outside, with the Microphone 2 meters from the center of the "box" ...

And yes, this $229 subwoofer gives a MUCH better slice of "Hsu VTF-3/SVS PB12-ISD" sound than one would expect for the $$$$ ...

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is midnight, and "Dark Side of the Moon" is playing. This is a really nice subwoofer. It is hitting all the bass notes quite well.

Thanks to "MacManNM" on Audioholics for demanding people hear this subwoofer. It is a wonderful value for the money.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yeah - Craig you have also experienced the PB10-ISD, right? Can you speak to this?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub
Correct - Outside, with the Microphone 2 meters from the center of the "box" ...

And yes, this $229 subwoofer gives a MUCH better slice of "Hsu VTF-3/SVS PB12-ISD" sound than one would expect for the $$$$ ...
Hey Craig,

Now that's an interesting comment. Wondering, have you any experience with the Hsu VTF-2 Mk 2, and if so how would you compare it to the XSub? I'm buying one of these two subs in the next few weeks, wrestling with the decision now. I most definitely want the VTF-2 Mk 2, but it's twice the price of the XSub and all these great reviews and comments have made me really curious to know if the Cadence might actually do as well as the Hsu for my purposes.

In my case, I need it for a dual purpose. My budget is pretty much nada at the moment, but I'll have money from some studio gear I just sold soon, which will finance the sub purchase. I'm a pro audio engineer and serious audiophile, though I've never had the budget to get the equipment for my home that I really want. I do both live sound and studio recording and I plan to share this sub between my bedroom-sized studio and my small family room HT I just slapped together (til I can afford a second sub), so it needs to rumble my walls for movies but sound EXTREMELY tight, musical, and accurate for music, since I'll be mixing projects with it.

Here's the gear I'm currently using:

HT: room is 14 x 12.5 x 8 with a couple openings, wall to wall carpet over cement (no basement).

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR702 (100 watts x 7, but I'm only running 5.1)

Front LR: B&W DM602 S2

Center: Boston Acoustics CRC (tiny, cheap lil thing but sounds surprisingly nice all things considered when you EQ it right)

Surrounds: Boston Acoustics CR75 bookshelf speakers (again, cheap and small, but I've used them as studio monitors and they sound really nice when EQd properly... They're a tinch on the bright side without EQ)

Sub: Currently borrowing a friend's tiny lil B&W ASW500, a 10" 70 watt cute lil box that doesn't do much worth talking about in the HT, but it's better than nothing. Will probably sound fine in the studio when I get around to trying it there. I run much lower volumes while mixing than while enjoying The Incredibles or the Matrix. :D

Planning to purchase (this week I hope) a pair of Ed Frias' (EFE) Ext Mod BIC DV62CLRS speakers to try out as either mains or surrounds in the HT and as studio monitors as an upgrade to the Bostons.

Studio: it's currently in a TINY bedroom, Mac dual G5 through a dual 15 band graphic room EQ into an old but venerable Luxman 110 watt/chan. stereo integrated amp. Speaker level connections from the IA to the sub then to the monitors. I'm mixing mostly some very soulful funk/R&B stuff. I noticed you tried Four Play's Heartfelt -- AWESOME record!!!!!!

Thanks for any thoughts on this! I have to make the decision soon and can only get one sub right now so I want it to be one that'll make me happy for a few years.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys - Running the numbers, Two Cadences colocated will hit, for example, 99 dB @ 25 Hz, where the PB-10 will hit 102 dB AND the PB-10 will also give a solid foundation from 18 to 24 Hz, and the Cadence will not.

The Hsu VTF-2 and STF-2 will also outperform the Cadence...

The Cadence IS a really nice value for someone who is on a VERY tight budget.

In other words, if you have $450 to spend, and have the space, buy the SVS or Hsu. :)

EDIT for further clarity ... When I said this :

Quote:
I was writing to those who can only swing about $250 delivered for a subwoofer. I hope noone looks at this and thinks:

"Wow, I can get VTF-3/PB12-ISD performance for $229 plus shipping !!! " - Because you won't. :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Guys - Running the numbers, Two Cadences colocated will hit, for example, 99 dB @ 25 Hz, where the PB-10 will hit 102 dB AND the PB-10 will also give a solid foundation from 18 to 24 Hz, and the Cadence will not.
Thanks! That is exactly what I was wondering. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
It would be great if someone could do a comparison between this Cadence, a Dayton 12 and a mighty Acouste H-100 !! .... Which, I think, are 3 good alternatives for the "budget minded enthusiast" :).

Jose.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Quote:
...The Hsu VTF-2 and STF-2 will also outperform the Cadence...

The Cadence IS a really nice value for someone who is on a VERY tight budget.

In other words, if you have $450 to spend, and have the space, buy the SVS or Hsu. :)
Thanks, Craig. I was just looking for someone with a clue what they're talking about to nudge me towards paying the extra $ for the Hsu, which is the one I really want, and you just did it. ;) I was mainly wondering if the extra power and driver size of the Cadence might put it up there performance-wise with the Hsu, but apparently not.

Cool!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Garcia
It would be great if someone could do a comparison between this Cadence, a Dayton 12 and a mighty Acouste H-100 !! .... Which, I think, are 3 good alternatives for the "budget minded enthusiast" :).

Jose.
I would like to see this as well...Even though the Cadence isn't in the PB-10's league, the PB-10 still costs $260 more delivered...I'm still leaning to the Cadence...

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.