AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The icing on the cake arrived yesterday and I am smiling from ear to ear. I am becoming, or maybe I already am, a very big fan of NECs. It replaced a unit of mine, no questions asked, and now I have a very stylish leather (I don't want to go there) case for one of my projectors. When I picked up my Marantz HT projector it came in a cardboard box and I paid five times as much for it than what I paid for my Dell LT150!!!

If you think you will get better service from the HT projector manufacturers I would think again!

Anyway, with all this talk about dithering, Matrix, rainbow, crawlies, scaling artifacts, black level etc. -what is one to do? And yes, I have contributed my fair share to this paranoia, however, what have I been doing all this time - collecting LT150s, that's what! Do you really thing I would buy three, count em, one, two three, LT150s if I thought there was something to all this banter? Granted, rainbow is a concern, a very, very minor one for me - you should check it out though.

O.K. the hype has started for the new 16:9 projectors, and since these are HT machines they have HT projector price tags. What everyone seems to have forgotten is that you will be asked to pay a hefty price for a projector that may well be HDTV obsolete within six to twelve months!! From what I have been able to garner these things do not have builtin decorders! The preceeding paragraph is just a reality check - is there anybody out there? I have the funds for a 16:9 projector put aside, right now! I am not going to buy one until all of this gets sorted out - everytime I fire up my LT150 I wonder what in the world I am thinking about? Why pay a ton of money for something everyone will be poking holes in next month and will not be a substantial improvement over what I now have!

I suspect that there are a lot of forum members who are connected to the business of retailing audio/video equipment and that is why the present exposure to all the hype - ever notice that the hype from the Vegas show seven months ago is almost verbatim with the hype from the CEDIA show? DLPs with CRT black levels and so on.

If you're in the market for a HT projector, don't go there -there, being HT projectors. In my humble opinion, it's not the time. Check out the best of the presentation projectors with their superior warranties (replacement policies) and service (in my experience, anyway). The NEC 540, LT 85, 150, 155, Sanyos, Plus units etc. come to mind. Why? These things cost a fraction of the HT units and their obsolescence will effectuate a modicum of the financial ramifications that a HT projector purchase will entail. I believe big changes are coming and in two or three years the landscape will have changed significantly - especially for DLPs and of course, HDTV compatibility.

I bet the HT people would like this forum to disappear - why? Well, it provides an alternative perspective and experience to their marketing hype and hyperbole. I'll bet that the LT150, for example, costs less than the markup on a HT projector!

I watched three excellent DVDs this past week, all great transfers, all non-Hollywood films. Everytime my jaw dropped at the great, and I mean great, image I have been able to obtain with my LT150, AVS HTPC and Da-lite Hipower screen, which is masked by a floating system I devised when I decided to rub my two remaining, and still functioning, brain cells together!

As I have said before, don't believe a thing you read on this forum, especially from me - check it out for yourself! Like Anthony Hopkins at the end of Hannibal - I am just providing you with a little food for thought (intentional pun - sorry).

Cheers,

Grant

P.S. Sorry Les, I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Do you really thing I would buy three, count em, one, two three, LT150s if I thought there was something to all this banter?
Grant,

Ok, let me be the one to ask. Why do you have 3 of them? I would love to just have 1 but why 3? Maybe you could start renting 1 of them to us who would like to try one out to see if the rainbows bother us. I bet you could have it paid for in 6 months. Let me be the first to sign up to rent one from you.

Just Kidding(not really),

Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Twenty minutes into Memento, I sat back and said WOW. It has been six weeks since the LT150 arrived and I am still struck by how good it is. It may be the best money I ever spent on my HT (the SVS is close). An HTPC is in the works, but only out of curiosity. For now, the LT150/RP91 combo works for me. So, I agree with Grant, but caution you to ignore his final paragraph. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Now, where is my leather case??

[This message has been edited by j albert morgan (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am still Caseless in Bloomington. I faxed on the night of August 9th.....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Congratulations with your purchases-you seem quite pleased with the choices you have made-wow what an effort to explain it all to us so that we can understand too-

Thanks-

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gary I concur with everything you said in your post.

I'm running my LT150 with a progressive scan DVD player - Panny RP91 and this is the best move I have ever made!

I am so happy that this projector is here instead of a 16:9

HD RPTV I was considering buying.

I have said it before and I'll say it again - I now have real home theatre in my house! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Where is this case deal? I just purchased a LT150 but I didn't see anything about a leather case. I got a nice nylon case with mine. Was this a special offer only for people who took advantage of the early Dell deal?

Jon

p.s. Grant, thanks so much for bringing the LT150 to my attention. I just can't believe the picture!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The leather case deal was a special from NEC for LT150 purchases thru July 31. You had to return your request prior to August 10 to get one. It is a different case from the one included. They retail supposively for $399, but I think they sell around $225.

·
Registered
23 Posts
J Morgan,

Where in Chicago do you live? This is the exact combo I am looking to get and would very much appreciate a quick demo if you are willing.

Thanks,

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.