AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very competent transfer from Alliance....no issues with the PQ. Audio is 5.1 DTS-HD MA. Director Tarsem Singh's dazzling visual palette is a feast for the eyes on hidef (1080p) on the expansive 2.35 frame. Avail on Amazon.ca.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod /forum/post/16940390

thats new for Alliance... who have been releasing cropped or open matte BR....

It's not new for Alliance.

Alliance have released some very nice OAR transfers.

THE CELL is gem. It's a great looking widescreen transfer that cost me all of $11.99.

The problem for Alliance is twofold: Some lack luster transfers which are their own fault and people who seemed compelled to use hyperbole whenever they comment about a Blu-ray.

Alliance is responsible for contributing to it's own reputation. There are too many cropped or unnecessarily altered presentations. There are things transfered at 1080i that we'd prefer to have in 1080p. Alliance does release some mediocre transfers probably intended for TV.

However, the hyperbole of some posters (not just here) has resulted in throwing the baby out with the bath water. It's not constructive to hear that company X is "The worst ever..." or "totally incompetent". It doesn't help if somebody tells me they'll never give a dime to Warner Brothers because they don't use lossless audio on every release. Every week we get the story from disgruntled viewers who will claim to have discovered the new, "worst Blu-ray in history". People have the right to their opinions but these are often opinions which are not helpful to people looking to buy discs.

I am less interested in what people think of a given company and more interested in an honest opinion of the merits of a given BD.

THE CELL is a great presentation and an excellent value. Alliance did a very good job on A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and FREDDY VS. JASON. I just bought MIMIC a few minutes ago. I haven't even opened that package but I'll comment on it later.

If anybody wants to deny themselves the chance to see these movies on BD because they aren't happy with Alliance in general, that's their right. But I think the rest of us would be mistaken to form opinions on ALL Alliance releases based on some of the over-the-top posts that accompany each new Alliance Blu-ray.

·
Registered
28,702 Posts
Any idea which version of the movie this is? The US theatrical release was 107 minutes, but the international "director's cut" was 109 minutes.

Description of the difference here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209958/alternateversions

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) One scene, where Vincent D'Onofrio hangs on his piercings, masturbating over the dead body of a woman, was not included in the US theatrical release, but can be seen in the European one.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/16941764

No extras at all...nuthin'.

Damn. The trailer for 'The Cell' was pretty cool too.

I gotta question for those who order from Amazon.ca often (I picked up Sin City and From Dusk til Dawn a while back)... Is there a good way to search for just imports for Blu ray on there. I can't find a "Blu Ray store" like there is on the US Amazon site (they just have some movies but most are US, I think) and usually just find these imports by searching them directly after reading about them here. I may be missing out on ones I hadn't heard about and was curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/16941478

Alliance have released some very nice OAR transfers.

THE CELL is gem. It's a great looking widescreen transfer that cost me all of $11.99.

The problem for Alliance is twofold: Some lack luster transfers which are their own fault and people who seemed compelled to use hyperbole whenever they comment about a Blu-ray.

Alliance is responsible for contributing to it's own reputation. There are too many cropped or unnecessarily altered presentations. There are things transfered at 1080i that we'd prefer to have in 1080p. Alliance does release some mediocre transfers probably intended for TV.

However, the hyperbole of some posters (not just here) has resulted in throwing the baby out with the bath water. It's not constructive to hear that company X is "The worst ever..." or "totally incompetent". It doesn't help if somebody tells me they'll never give a dime to Warner Brothers because they don't use lossless audio on every release. Every week we get the story from disgruntled viewers who will claim to have discovered the new, "worst Blu-ray in history". People have the right to their opinions but these are often opinions which are not helpful to people looking to buy discs.

I am less interested in what people think of a given company and more interested in an honest opinion of the merits of a given BD.

THE CELL is a great presentation and an excellent value. Alliance did a very good job on A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and FREDDY VS. JASON. I just bought MIMIC a few minutes ago. I haven't even opened that package but I'll comment on it later.

If anybody wants to deny themselves the chance to see these movies on BD because they aren't happy with Alliance in general, that's their right. But I think the rest of us would be mistaken to form opinions on ALL Alliance releases based on some of the over-the-top posts that accompany each new Alliance Blu-ray.
Hear - hear ! .... looking forward to your impressions of 'Mimic', Dex. Btw, where did u pick 'The Cell' up at such a miserly price? I paid $14.99 at Wall-E Mart and I thought that was cheap!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/16941817

Any idea which version of the movie this is? The US theatrical release was 107 minutes, but the international "director's cut" was 109 minutes.

Not surprisingly, it's just the 107 min version, according to the packaging info.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/16941817

Description of the difference here:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) One scene, where Vincent D'Onofrio hangs on his piercings, masturbating over the dead body of a woman, was not included in the US theatrical release, but can be seen in the European one.

This scene is there. Not sure if it was removed from the US release altogether or if it was just more graphic in the director's cut, but there is at least a brief scene as described here.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilips /forum/post/16940255

I concur with the props on this title. Fans of The Fall's visual style (albeit a little more on the gruesome side) will find lots to like here...

+1....looking forward to Tarsem Singh's 'War of Gods'; a Greek warrior epic now in preproduction and slated for release next year!

·
Registered
778 Posts
THE CELL was $11.99 at Best Buy during it's first week of release. It's since gone up in price.

Regarding the scene described in the spoiler tag and the question of domestic theatrical VS unrated/international cut: Having not seen the unrated version, I can't comment DIRECTLY. What I have READ from others is that the scene mentioned is significantly truncated in the domestic version and the BD release. That being said, I don't really consider this to be a shortcoming for the Blu-ray. Yes, I'm curious about the longer version but I don't feel shortchanged by the theatrical release. My feeling is that, if I see the same thing on the disc that I could see at the cineplex, that's fair enough.

·
Registered
28,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/16942495

Regarding the scene described in the spoiler tag and the question of domestic theatrical VS unrated/international cut: Having not seen the unrated version, I can't comment DIRECTLY. What I have READ from others is that the scene mentioned is significantly truncated in the domestic version and the BD release. That being said, I don't really consider this to be a shortcoming for the Blu-ray. Yes, I'm curious about the longer version but I don't feel shortchanged by the theatrical release. My feeling is that, if I see the same thing on the disc that I could see at the cineplex, that's fair enough.

Well, the thing is that the longer version did play theatrically in other parts of the world. It was truncated in the U.S. to appease the MPAA and secure an R rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/16942254

Not surprisingly, it's just the 107 min version, according to the packaging info.

When you have a chance, can you check the disc to see if it actually clocks in at that length? Alliance has a history of mislabeling the specs on their disc packaging.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
IMDB lists this for the European edition and DVD editions.

There are spoilers so i haven't listed what is actually said and people can just click the link to see.

I'm assuming we in the UK got the uncut 109m 2 second version because the BBFC site lists the cinema edition as running that long.

I have only ever saw the American DVD release and didn't even realise there was a different edit until i read this thread and then checked out IMDB. I assume the American DVD edition i saw was the longer cut of the movie.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts