AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 679 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did anybody ever test PS4 for Bit Accuracy regarding Bluray Discs? That's the only Disc Source I have access to right now.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
I've sold my DVDO AvLab TPG to @liberator72 , so I won't be able to test anything anymore.

I hope that Leon and @baller02 (Manuel) will take my legacy and become the new "cheap things" testers!

It has been a pleasure assisting all of you!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've sold my DVDO AvLab TPG to @liberator72 , so I won't be able to test anything anymore.

I hope that Leon and @baller02 (Manuel) will take my legacy and become the new "cheap things" testers!

It has been a pleasure assisting all of you!
You only did it because you're a lazy Italian and just couldn't be bothered anymore :D

I for one would like to formally and personally thank you for everything you have done in this thread. It has been of great benefit to everyone in this community and if I can expand on what you have done in the future then I will be happy to. That is if the DVDO ever gets here. Apparently it is coming via snail mail!! ;)

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
You only did it because you're a lazy Italian and just couldn't be bothered anymore :D

I for one would like to formally and personally thank you for everything you have done in this thread. It has been of great benefit to everyone in this community and if I can expand on what you have done in the future then I will be happy to. That is if the DVDO ever gets here. Apparently it is coming via snail mail!! ;)
Deliveries are slow here in the US as well. What used to take 2 or 3 days now takes 4, 5 or more...:(

·
Registered
950 Posts
Deliveries are slow here in the US as well. What used to take 2 or 3 days now takes 4, 5 or more...:(
I guess we should be grateful that deliveries are still happening at all. And that extra gratitude should go out to those that are willing to brave the current conditions to make those deliveries. Worrying times for all right now, so wishing everyone out there all the best.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I guess we should be grateful that deliveries are still happening at all. And that extra gratitude should go out to those that are willing to brave the current conditions to make those deliveries. Worrying times for all right now, so wishing everyone out there all the best.
Indeed. There are a lot of people at grocers, delivery services, and the like, who never expected to be in "the front lines", but now are. We owe them a debt of gratitude! And @Anger.miki and our other friends on the Continent, please stay safe.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Thanks Royce, I’m doing all I can to stay safe and keep my family safe. Please guys, stay at home. At least, now we have the chance to calibrate and to experiment!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you! Hope the best for all of you in Italy!

Regarding Samsung. Zidoo offeer output in RGB and YCbCr4:4:4. The latter should be the best option for a Samsung TV?

·
Registered
333 Posts
He didn't say you shouldn't be using a bit-accurate source. Not at all. What he said was that the internal conversion done by the Samsung from RGB to YCbCr is screwed up. The reason you might consider using a good test disc from a Blu-Ray player is that most of them properly output YCbCr...
Correct. Have to use a bit accurate source regardless of whether its RGB or YCbCr. Ted's patterns are bit accurate for YCbCr sources like BluRay players. I use them through my LG BluRay and from my Odroid N2 running Kodi and my Oppo based M9702 streamer using Ted's digital files. Same goes for Ryan's patterns for HDR. All sources are bit perfect in YCbCr,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Correct. Have to use a bit accurate source regardless of whether its RGB or YCbCr. Ted's patterns are bit accurate for YCbCr sources like BluRay players. I use them through my LG BluRay and from my Odroid N2 running Kodi and my Oppo based M9702 streamer using Ted's digital files. Same goes for Ryan's patterns for HDR. All sources are bit perfect in YCbCr,

I plan on buying an ODROID N2 COREELEC after we get over the current situation the world is living. Zidoo clips above 235. Did you ever check if ODROID N2 shows Above White? I don't like the idea of my player clipping information.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I plan on buying an ODROID N2 COREELEC after we get over the current situation the world is living. Zidoo clips above 235. Did you ever check if ODROID N2 shows Above White? I don't like the idea of my player clipping information.
Yes it does. In fact, the Odroid N2/CoreElec is as good as my Oppo. Better in some ways as it uses the latest Amlogic chip which has better Chroma upscaling algorithm than the Oppo's Mediatek chip (Bi-linear vs Nearest Neighbour). Otherwise they are identical.

I use Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark disk for evaluation.

PS next update will fix HDR10+ issue.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Egreat players don’t clip above 235.

·
Registered
40 Posts
After trying to sort through 58 pages I have a question. What about using the mobileforge app on my iPhone 11 using air play that is built into the Samsung Q80R. Since there is no “external player” being used would this be accurate? Or has anyone tested this? Please excuse me if this has been mentioned already.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
The answer to your question is written in the first post, if my memory is not failing on me

Reactions: Rolls-Royce

·
Registered
40 Posts
So is the DVDO AVLab TPG still a good option in 2020. Seems like it’s a legacy device on there website. Looks like you can still buy it from B&H. I really don’t want to purchase a i1 pro to profile my i1d3 if I don’t have a correct pattern to calibrate with.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
It depends on what displays you want to calibrate, but RPi PGenerator or LS connect through a bit accurate device might be the best and cheapest choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Alright so I ordered a RPi 3 B+ is there any thread about how to use it beyond putting the free software on it? This is compatible with calman? Maybe source: spectracal then Ethernet and put the IP address in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm wondering if the ATV4 4K still gives the wrong colors if you enable the Chroma 4:4:4 from it?
They have added a function with Chroma to the ATV4 4K now.

@Anger.miki

Edit:
I did read this in the first post: So, we can use Apple TV Full HD as TPG only with RGB output
So then I'll change the output to RGB instead of YCC?

Edit:
Should I have the box Expand Video To PC Levels unchecked or checked? I guess I should uncheck it?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
Usually, if the TPG displays 16-235 patterns, then the calibration software should be set to 0-255 (hence no expand video to pc levels). But you can easily test: if your black level is elevated by checking it, then leave it unchecked. ;)

561 - 580 of 679 Posts