AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
So, now I'm more confused than ever.
For ATV 4K what is better?

- Set the ATV to YCbCr then make a calibration within infuse with Ted's patterns for SDR and Masciola for HDR ?
- Make a calibration in RGB with the Raspy > Set ATV to RGB and then maybe checking the errors with patterns within Infuse?

:confused:
The best and quickest test is to measure video streamed patterns from inside ATV and then measure the same patterns via Rpi. (Your TV don't need to be calibrated, just use the default settings)

Compare then both reports and decide.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The best and quickest test is to measure video streamed patterns from inside ATV and then measure the same patterns via Rpi. (Your TV don't need to be calibrated, just use the default settings)

Compare then both reports and decide.
Since YCbCr is way off RGB then

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So, now I'm more confused than ever.
For ATV 4K what is better?

- Set the ATV to YCbCr then make a calibration within infuse with Ted's patterns for SDR and Masciola for HDR ?
- Make a calibration in RGB with the Raspy > Set ATV to RGB and then maybe checking the errors with patterns within Infuse?

/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
With what software? Anyway, nothing is good with ATV 4K and nothing is good with MobileForge. I strongly suggest RPi for CM.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Keep in mind that the atv is using ycbcr for hdr, also in case you set the atv to rgb.

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Since YCbCr is way off RGB then
You will be interested to compare the YCbCr from ATV video stream playback, not the YCbCr using app and software patch generation of ATV.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You will be interested to compare the YCbCr from ATV video stream playback, not the YCbCr using app and software patch generation of ATV.
aren't your patterns streamed by infuse player enough?

·
Registered
8,882 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It’s useless to measure. Color values (YCbCr/RGB triplets) fluctuate always, in menu, in movies, in infuse, in airplay. ATV 4K it’s not usable as TPG. Do. Not. Use. It.
Is it clear now? 😄

·
Registered
629 Posts
It’s useless to measure. Color values (YCbCr/RGB triplets) fluctuate always, in menu, in movies, in infuse, in airplay. ATV 4K it’s not usable as TPG. Do. Not. Use. It.
Is it clear now? 😄
Miki I watch a lot of movies on Itunes. Need a calibrated ATV. Clear?

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Exactly. But will the TV convert anyway your RGB only video source to YCbCr and then again in RGB?

Absolutely. There are certain video processing tasks that absolutely cannot be done in RGB and some that have to be done in RGB.

Things like CMS , saturation and sharpness have to happen in YCBCR. Things like 1D and 3D look up tables and HDR tone mapping are almost always done in RGB space.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Is it clear now? 😄
Miki I watch a lot of movies on Itunes. Need a calibrated ATV. Clear?
Is ATV 4K directly connected to the TV? Then calibrate that HDMI input with RPi RGB full output and set the TV HDMI to RGB limited (16-235) while calibrating, then back to Auto when you’ve finished.
ATV 4K displays correct triplets but for some reason it elaborates them continuously and changes their values, so you have a color with average 2/3 digital errors which is NOT a drama, you still are under < 0,50 dE. So if your TV with YCBCr color space has an average dE of 0,50 you are still accurate.
But don’t trust anyone, do your own test that could be:
1) calibrate yout TV using Ted’s disc via BDP
2) measure your TV accuracy using Calman color checker SG included in Ted’s disc with your BDP (I hope it is bit accurate)
3) do the same with Ted’s media file streamed through Infuse/ATV 4K
4) calibrate again using ATV 4K YCbCr 444 output and Ted’s media file streamed with Infuse
5) redo 2) & 3)
6) report back

If you have also a spectro (I’m sorry, I don’t remember), profile your colorimeter with TV native gamut with Ted’s disc via BDP or RPi and use always that FCCM

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thank you for the basics. I know how to perform a calibration, at least. And I do that at any firmware update.
Actually that wasn't my question.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I’m sorry, would you be so kind to reformulate your question for me please?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Since WE already know all the problems about ATV output. What is still better to calibrate taking in consideration the space color conversion process chain, ycbcr or rgb?

·
Registered
442 Posts
As the values aren't there to look at, can I ask how bad is the RPI YCbCr for calibration as there isn't a graph for it? Are we talking just minor errors, or great big monster errors that are very obvious?

And using the Apple TV, I assume that you mean using the Lightspace Connect app on the iphone/ipad and then screen mirroring to the AppleTV? I couldn't find a specific Lightspace Connect app in the AppleTV app store.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
As the values aren't there to look at, can I ask how bad is the RPI YCbCr for calibration as there isn't a graph for it? Are we talking just minor errors, or great big monster errors that are very obvious?

And using the Apple TV, I assume that you mean using the Lightspace Connect app on the iphone/ipad and then screen mirroring to the AppleTV? I couldn't find a specific Lightspace Connect app in the AppleTV app store.
RPi outputting YCbCr returns monster errors, 14/35 digital errors I have the chart but I didn’t post it because it could have confused people easily.
LightSpace Connect doesn’t have a native ATV app. So, yes you must use AirPlay with it. But again,I would use it with ATV 3rd and maybe 4th gen, not 4K.

Reactions: vollans

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Since WE already know all the problems about ATV output. What is still better to calibrate taking in consideration the space color conversion process chain, ycbcr or rgb?
If my only device was ATV 4K or if I had someone with a gun pointed to my face, then I’ll choose YCbCr. RGB has more digital errors.

I’m sorry to feel you are somewhat upset, I’m here to help and I’ve spent my time doing all those tests not only for free but spending my hard earned money to demonstrate something that I already knew. I’m a always joking dude, as people who knows me better knows. So if something that I wrote hurted your feelings... I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Only for colors or also for grayscale?

·
Registered
629 Posts
If my only device was ATV 4K or if I had someone with a gun pointed to my face, then I’ll choose YCbCr. RGB has more digital errors.

I’m sorry to feel you are somewhat upset, I’m here to help and I’ve spent my time doing all those tests not only for free but spending my hard earned money to demonstrate something that I already knew. I’m a always joking dude, as people who knows me better knows. So if something that I wrote hurted your feelings... I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention.
Ma figurati Miki.
On my ATV YCbCr is the less accurate. I wonder if there's anything wrong with my B7.

41 - 60 of 650 Posts