·
Registered
166 Posts
is it a paid version?

that would be logical because of the collosal work

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Fantastic news. I look forward to the release of the Template.

Great work, as always, to both yourself and the PGen developer (Riccardo)
I forgot to mention that the PGenerator is a bit-perfect 8-bit RGB-Full range patch generator solution.

It can generate HDR10, as many users are using already.

It will require to connect any HD Fury device (Linker, Integral 1/2, Vertex 1,2) to the HDMI output of PGenerator, for injecting HDR10 metadata and info frame, so the generator will be able to generate bit-perfect 8-bit RGB-Video HDR10 patches.

The output of 8-bit is a limitation; as the calibration software we have right now, they calculate the errors based on RGB 8-bit triplets.

So generating 8-bit RGB-Video patches, it will not have any limitation compared 10-bit RGB-Video patch generation.

It means that the 8-bit SDR patterns can become 8-bit HDR patterns, using HD Fury.

In other words, that new template development increases the ideas for future developments.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
When you playback video stream with PGen with RGB-Full output, the patterns will not be accurate, so the only way to have RGB-Full range bit-perfect patterns is to load it to PGenerator uncompressed RGB pictures.

The Template uses RGB uncompressed files of the patterns, so it will not have any compression loss.

[...]
While you have an active connection of PGenerator with CalMAN/HCFR/LightSpace/ColourSpace and you want to display a static or flashing bars reference pattern, then:

Open DeviceControl, connect PGenerator, display the patch you want, disconnect from DeviceControl.

Then continue with the connected PGen to your calibration software (no need to disconnect from your software).
Wow. May I please say "wow" again? :) What a great idea! Full RGB versions of those patterns is a dream!

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
is it a paid version?

that would be logical because of the collosal work
It will have a fee, lowered for current disk users.

It's not only ''just a download'', as usual, but it will also have proper email support, which is known as ''the best'' in the calibration industry.

The Template version is not coming to replace any disk/media files version.

It's just an additional tool to save some time and prevent some errors.

I recommend the users with external patch generation solution to always check their player output first with patterns from there, and start the basic pre-calibration using that HDMI output, directly from their player.

If they use the TV USB to playback movies, then perform the pre-calibration using patterns as video files from there.

After that step, then to move to external generators, like PGenerator, for example.

But it will require using HDMI input, which sometimes is different HDMI input from the player; different HDMI have different settings etc.

Also, since the PGenerator has RGB-Full range output, TVs understand that you have connected a PC; they will expecting 0-255 data levels. (0 Black and 255 White)

It can provide the wrong patch generation when the TV is not configured to expect Video Levels.

Just having the Template with the patterns inside PGenerator, it will be easier to spot an issue before starting a calibration.

Any calibrator can make mistakes, even with extensive experience. Having tools for all scenarios, it will always help problem-solving quicker.

·
Registered
166 Posts
On my SONY OLED, I need to change the "HDMI video range". I switch from "Auto" to Limited. Otherwise the resulting patches are "gray" and the calibration false. In PGenerator, the RGB-gamut output is complete as you indicate.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
On my SONY OLED, I need to change the "HDMI video range". I switch from "Auto" to Limited. Otherwise the resulting patches are "gray" and the calibration false. In PGenerator, the RGB-gamut output is complete as you indicate.
Correct! :)

It will require the same adjustment to Samsung, Sony, LG, and many other brands also.

When the user changes HDMI inputs also, it can restore AUTO.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Wow. May I please say "wow" again? :) What a great idea! Full RGB versions of those patterns is a dream!
Thanks!

The testing goes very well, just an update:

The Delay Flashing Pattern value will allow the user to change the timing of the flashing bars.

I see that using a 240 ms setting; it will match the 1-sec interval flashing rate of the same pattern as 24p video stream edition.

But that function is providing the user to capability to the user to define and change the speed.

I believe it's a good idea to provide increased flexibility, and a feature is not available on costly generators.

BTW just came the idea to include an additional option of the Brightness flashing bars patterns without any text or gray/white markings, to help the OLED TV users for better decisions.

So they were available text or non-text versions of the flashing bars patterns for Brightness adjustments.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
BTW just came the idea to include an additional option of the Brightness flashing bars patterns without any text or gray/white markings, to help the OLED TV users for better decisions.

So they were available text or non-text versions of the flashing bars patterns for Brightness adjustments.
@ConnecTEDDD was kind enough to send me this pattern to test on my LG OLED65C9. In my opinion, the removal of the text and other markings do indeed help on an OLED panel especially in a pitch black room. It does include two very small 10x10 pixel grey markers above/below reference black to assist in knowing where reference black is, making it easier to make black level adjustments. In my opinion, it was a great idea, thanks Ted.

One thing I did notice is that when using the RPi PGen to play the animated pattern, it does get a little warmer than usual.

I have been using the Official Raspberry Pi 3 housing for my Pgen

In this housing, when running a full 21^3 profile it operates at a stable CPU temperature of 55C. I just ran a very quick 17^3 dummy profile with the virtual probe and as usual it ran at a stable 55C

Running the animated Advanced Brightness Flashing Bars pattern though, after just 5 minutes it was already running at 59C. If I recall, the first time I ran it, it peaked at 62C after around 15 minutes

Whilst that could still be considered a very safe operating temperature, I thought I'd try a third party case with heatsinks and a cooling fan. I purchased this kit from Amazon UK at a very reasonable price. After 2 hours of continuous looping of the same animated pattern, the PGen is still running at a very cool 39C

I just thought I would mention this prior to Ted releasing his pattern set to let anyone know ahead of time that if they have a PGen that already runs "warm", they may want to consider purchasing a very cheap "cooling solution upgrade".

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Running the animated Advanced Brightness Flashing Bars pattern though, after just 5 minutes it was already running at 59C. If I recall, the first time I ran it, it peaked at 62C after around 15 minutes
View attachment 3029810

Whilst that could still be considered a very safe operating temperature, I thought I'd try a third party case with heatsinks and a cooling fan. I purchased this kit from Amazon UK at a very reasonable price. After 2 hours of continuous looping of the same animated pattern, the PGen is still running at a very cool 39C
View attachment 3029815

I just thought I would mention this prior to Ted releasing his pattern set to let anyone know ahead of time that if they have a PGen that already runs "warm", they may want to consider purchasing a very cheap "cooling solution upgrade".
Hi Leon,

Under regular use of flashing bars patterns, I don't think the user will display them for a long time.

Generally, it's a good idea for all users to use PGen, a case that allows attaching a fan.

When you display a static pattern, it will not have a significant increase in temperature.

Users can test their temperature when they use PGenerator from DeviceControl Interface.

The official operating temperature limit is 85°C.

The Raspberry Pi should start to throttle performance around 82°C thermally.

The PGenerator, to be able to display patterns, will require the users to set GPU Memory to 128MB, while the default setting is 64MB.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Leon,

Under regular use of flashing bars patterns, I don't think the user will display them for a long time.

Generally, it's a good idea for all users to use PGen, a case that allows attaching a fan.

When you display a static pattern, it will not have a significant increase in temperature.

Users can test their temperature when they use PGenerator from DeviceControl Interface.

The official operating temperature limit is 85°C.

The Raspberry Pi should start to throttle performance around 82°C thermally.

The PGenerator, to be able to display patterns, will require the users to set GPU Memory to 128MB, while the default setting is 64MB.
Ted,
Is there a guide somewhere on using DeviceControl to feed different patterns through PGenerator?

CFC

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
@ConnecTEDDD was kind enough to send me this pattern to test on my LG OLED65C9. In my opinion, the removal of the text and other markings do indeed help on an OLED panel especially in a pitch black room. It does include two very small 10x10 pixel grey markers above/below reference black to assist in knowing where reference black is, making it easier to make black level adjustments. In my opinion, it was a great idea, thanks Ted.
Leon,

Thank you for the testing.

I have added a ''No Text'' version of all patterns with black flashing bars.

The user will have the capability to select the regular version (as static bars or flashing bars) with gray text indicators of the bars:

or to use the new version with ''No Text'':

''No Text'' edition will have only a 10x10 pixel indicator of about 5% gray at the top and bottom of the Reference Black bar and no other text.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Is there a guide somewhere on using DeviceControl to feed different patterns through PGenerator?
Hello,

I'm talking with the developer of the PGenerator, and he is developing a custom Template specifically for my disk.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
I see that Murideo Six-G is capable of uploading of ten 1920x1080 custom images.

The developer of PGenerator is an ''insane'' genius.....he just added the capability to upload an unlimited number of user custom images.

It will be available a category as 'Custom Pattern Library':

You will able to upload as many custom images as your SD card can allow.

For example, with a 16GB SD, you will have free space to upload about 1000 custom images.

For uploading or deleting custom uploaded images, these actions will be available from inside the Template.

Browse for an image to upload or delete from the drop-down list the image you want.

Adding at the output of the PGenerator an HD Fury device (Linker, Integral, Vertex), you can inject HDR10 metadata to generate HDR10 RGB patterns.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I see that Murideo Six-G is capable of uploading of ten 1920x1080 custom images.

The developer of PGenerator is an ''insane'' genius.....he just added the capability to upload an unlimited number of user custom images.

It will be available a category as 'Custom Pattern Library':

You will able to upload as many custom images as your SD card can allow.

For example, with a 16GB SD, you will have free space to upload about 1000 custom images.

For uploading or deleting custom uploaded images, these actions will be available from inside the Template.

Browse for an image to upload or delete from the drop-down list the image you want.

Adding at the output of the PGenerator an HD Fury device (Linker, Integral, Vertex), you can inject HDR10 metadata to generate HDR10 RGB patterns.
Ted,

I'd just like to say Thank You from the community for the work you do and the help you provide. I nominate you for AVS Member of the Year (if there is such an award!). If not, we should make one!

·
Registered
192 Posts
While waiting anxiously for Ted's disc on the PGenerator, I have been fiddling with a few things and trying to wrap my head around some triplet values.

I am trying to calculate the triplet values for CMS adjustment on my JVC X790. I will use Red as an example.

According to Interact Lightspace CMS and rapidtables.com HSV to RGB:
50% Saturation, 50% Luminance (for HDR):
Full 0-255 range 127,63,63
If I were to convert to Limited 16-235 range (Value*(219/255))+16 = 125,70,70

With PGenerator set to RGB full, projector set to RGB Limited:
Is 125,70,70 the correct triplet to use in the DeviceControl pattern memory?

With LightSpace/ColourSpace set to 16-235, controlling PGenerator set to 0-255, projector set to 16-235:
Is 125,70,70 the correct triplet to set the sliders to?

The 75%, 75% (for SDR) conversion I calculate is Full(191,47,47) Limited(180,56,56)

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
While waiting anxiously for Ted's disc on the PGenerator, I have been fiddling with a few things and trying to wrap my head around some triplet values.
Hi Andrew,

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk for PGenerator is ready, we have tested everything, and it's working perfectly.

When I have the instructions about how to install it, I will release it.

I have started to make a specific web page containing all information related to PGenerator. for users to able to find questions for all answers.

Here is the link; now it has only a few info, but soon it will have complete information.

I have started to prepare it, so I will update it when I have free time.

I am trying to calculate the triplet values for CMS adjustment on my JVC X790. I will use Red as an example.

According to Interact Lightspace CMS and rapidtables.com HSV to RGB:
50% Saturation, 50% Luminance (for HDR):
Full 0-255 range 127,63,63
If I were to convert to Limited 16-235 range (Value*(219/255))+16 = 125,70,70

With PGenerator set to RGB full, projector set to RGB Limited:
Is 125,70,70 the correct triplet to use in the DeviceControl pattern memory?

With LightSpace/ColourSpace set to 16-235, controlling PGenerator set to 0-255, projector set to 16-235:
Is 125,70,70 the correct triplet to set the sliders to?

The 75%, 75% (for SDR) conversion I calculate is Full(191,47,47) Limited(180,56,56)

Am I on the right track?
I have calculated all my disk chapters of CalMAN for ColourSpace:

It will completely cover your question about SDR, as you can load any of these files to ColourSpace, and able to manual cal or automatically measure any disk chapter very easily.

I was planning to inform my disk users, so, until that post, users can send me msg via the contact form of my site, to provide them the download link.

About the question for REC.2020, I have calculated also the 4-Point Saturation @ 100 nits for ColourSpace, you can download it here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Ted,

Message sent. Thanks for the info and everything you do to help us enthusiasts make our home theaters better.

I just wanted to confirm that:
  • Proper range settings are: LightSpace/ColourSpace 16-235 -> PGen 0-255 -> PJ 16-235
  • Also for ST2084 EOTF, given that I am using a PJ with max around 90 nits with effective diffuse white around 25 nits, how do I calculate the correct target for 50% WRGBCMY CMS Luminance?

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Hi Ted,

Message sent. Thanks for the info and everything you do to help us enthusiasts make our home theaters better.

I just wanted to confirm that:
  • Proper range settings are: LightSpace/ColourSpace 16-235 -> PGen 0-255 -> PJ 16-235
  • Also for ST2084 EOTF, given that I am using a PJ with max around 90 nits with effective diffuse white around 25 nits, how do I calculate the correct target for 50% WRGBCMY CMS Luminance?
Create a new colorspace using Multiplier (Projection HDR) here.

About your patch scale/output settings, they are correct.

I have made that patchset for LG OLED users, to verify with PGenerator + an HD Fury for metadata injection, the HDR10 post-calibration using ColourSpace.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When calibrating a OLED using a NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super should l output RGB Full and limited on the TV?

them when i change to limited on the nvidia panel, to get accurate desktop colors, the calibration will stay correct?

·
Registered
44 Posts
When calibrating a OLED using a NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super should l output RGB Full and limited on the TV?

them when i change to limited on the nvidia panel, to get accurate desktop colors, the calibration will stay correct?
It has been discussed quite a few times in several discussions here, I bet you can find them using the forum search!
As far as I remember: Most TVs have problems with RGB Full, since they are not PC Displays but playback devices for videos and therefore video legal (limited) should be used.

661 - 680 of 685 Posts