701 - 720 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
it’s black level—> low, correct?
If you want limited range, yes.
Low=Limited range.
High=Full range.

With the RPI we are sending Limited range (16-235 or 16-255) tunnelled inside a Full range (0-255) RGB signal, which the TV can tell that signal is 0-255 full range, so that's why you can't rely on "Auto" all the time. Normally it's more of a problem on Sony TVs.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I had a question: If a person picked up an AVLab 4K, could they do similar to get an accurate YCbCr HDR10 video patch, or does this only work with RGB?
Hi,

DVDO can provide bit-perfect YCbCr REC.709 10/12 bit.

Using HDFury, it can inject metadata and AVI but not able to provide you correct YCbCr REC.2020 just by adding a flag for REC.2020 signaling.

HD Fury can be used for adding metadata to convert an RGB-Video signal to HDR10 RGB-Video.

Calibration software sends a command to DVDO to generate an RGB-Triplet to YCbCr 709.

The hardware of the generator will have to use the matrix to convert RGB to YCbCr REC.709; the software can't control or change that matrix.

The matrix from RGB -> YCbCr 709 is different from the matrix for RGB -> YCbCr 2020.

However, the Grayscale will not have any difference, or the 100% Saturated Red/Green/Blue will be OK to use.

I mean that, if you send YCbCr 10bit REC.709 but only to generate Grayscale patterns, then you can use DVDO with YCbCr REC.709 output and set the HD Fury to send REC.2020 flag from HD Fury GUI, so you will be able to generate YCbCr REC.2020 10bit, but it will work only for Grayscale!

For CMS, you can't calibrate with 100% Saturated R,G,B because they will be 100% REC2020.

So while you can generate only three patches correct for CMS, they are useless.

For only grayscale calibration, it will be OK only.

Generally, use RGB HDR10 with Fury; it's impossible to make any SDR pattern generator work for YCbCr REC.2020 HDR10.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Hi Ted,

how do you change the HDMI to limited in a LG CX?
Hi,

Be sure to change the Black Level @ LOW before starting any calibration because RGB-Full range signaling will make the TV to understand that you are using Full Range RGB (Black 0 and White 255) with AUTO.

When you set HDMI Black Level @ LOW, the TV will expect RGB (Black 16 and White 235).

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
So, picked the used one up anyways because $330 was a good price. Now, if only able to get an HDFury that works with Calman... I know that the Integral works with it, but...
The HD Fury Integral (1) 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz was working in CalMAN 2017.

Send an email to ask the support if it's working with the current release of CalMAN.

Newer models are not working.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The HD Fury Integral (1) 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz was working in CalMAN 2017.

Send an email to ask the support if it's working with the current release of CalMAN.

Newer models are not working.
Thank you for the responses. Automating the grayscale will be fine, as I have purchased R. Masciola's patterns from Diversified Video Solutions for HDR-10, DV, and HLG. So, being able to start with automated grayscale then move to his patterns for the CSM, it will still significantly speed up the process.

That will hold me over until I get a device that can do YCC HDR-10 and Dolby Vision (like a videoforge pro, Murideo six-g or seven-g, or other devices that can do it or load custom patterns such as those from DVS).

From the limited searching I've done on the secondary market, I haven't seen any Integrals up for resale at the moment, so considering an Integral 2 or Vertex.

Once again, thank you.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Thank you for the responses. Automating the grayscale will be fine, as I have purchased R. Masciola's patterns from Diversified Video Solutions for HDR-10, DV, and HLG. So, being able to start with automated grayscale then move to his patterns for the CSM, it will still significantly speed up the process.

That will hold me over until I get a device that can do YCC HDR-10 and Dolby Vision (like a videoforge pro, Murideo six-g or seven-g, or other devices that can do it or load custom patterns such as those from DVS).

From the limited searching I've done on the secondary market, I haven't seen any Integrals up for resale at the moment, so considering an Integral 2 or Vertex.

Once again, thank you.
Integral 2 or Vertex will work only from the HD Fury GUI utility.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just asking around.

I wanted to use the 4k firestick with mobileforge as my tpg. but reading your first post and you said its not accurate. So my question is what would be the best alternative?

The setup i have is below. Please let me know the be TPG i can use. How do I use a disc as a tpg in sony calman?

idisplay pro - color meter
(fill in the blank) - TPG
sony calman - calibration

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Just asking around.

I wanted to use the 4k firestick with mobileforge as my tpg. but reading your first post and you said its not accurate. So my question is what would be the best alternative?

The setup i have is below. Please let me know the be TPG i can use. How do I use a disc as a tpg in sony calman?

idisplay pro - color meter
(fill in the blank) - TPG
sony calman - calibration
PGenerator can be used as an automated TPG for patches.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Reactions: ConnecTEDDD

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is there a recommend model on amazon? would you recommend a kit? which would be ideal to purchase?

thanks for the response

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
All your answers (and more) are given in the first post of the linked thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all, this week I will received my new Sony XBR65-950H and I want to calibrate the TV. At the moment I have a X-rite i1Display Pro meter because I calibrate my PC monitor (Nec PA series with Nec Spectraview). I wrote to Calman and they suggest me this:
Calman for Sony
Mobile forge with AppleTV, FireTV stick or Chromecast (as a pattern generator)

According to this threads the mobile forge is not accurate.

So I read good comment on a Raspi 3 b+ with Pgenerator. I can get a full kit at amazon link: Rasberry Pi 3 B+ kit
is this a good kit ?

Now for my hardware setup
I don't have a laptop but in the living room I have an Intel NUC (8 gen) with Windows 10. On the NUC I can set to RGB or ycbcr and the option for range : None, Limited and Full
Can I install Calman on the NUC and use it to calibrate the TV with the RasPI PGenerator ? Otherwise I will need to use my PC (Calman) and purchase a 30ft USB extension cable from PC to the Meter in the living Room.

How the Raspi Pgenerator interact with Calman ?

I also saw a video on Youtube a guy using Madvr as a pattern generator but I don't know if it's bit perfect as a pattern generator. The pattern was taking full screen when measuring and after was minimize to show the Calman software and it was switching from Calman to MadVR automatically.

I want to get the good hardware and software and ease of use to calibrate SDR signals and maybe HDR if possible.

Thank you all for helping me

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Hi all, this week I will received my new Sony XBR65-950H and I want to calibrate the TV. At the moment I have a X-rite i1Display Pro meter because I calibrate my PC monitor (Nec PA series with Nec Spectraview). I wrote to Calman and they suggest me this:
Calman for Sony
Mobile forge with AppleTV, FireTV stick or Chromecast (as a pattern generator)

According to this threads the mobile forge is not accurate.

So I read good comment on a Raspi 3 b+ with Pgenerator. I can get a full kit at amazon link: Rasberry Pi 3 B+ kit
is this a good kit ?

Now for my hardware setup
I don't have a laptop but in the living room I have an Intel NUC (8 gen) with Windows 10. On the NUC I can set to RGB or ycbcr and the option for range : None, Limited and Full
Can I install Calman on the NUC and use it to calibrate the TV with the RasPI PGenerator ? Otherwise I will need to use my PC (Calman) and purchase a 30ft USB extension cable from PC to the Meter in the living Room.

How the Raspi Pgenerator interact with Calman ?

I also saw a video on Youtube a guy using Madvr as a pattern generator but I don't know if it's bit perfect as a pattern generator. The pattern was taking full screen when measuring and after was minimize to show the Calman software and it was switching from Calman to MadVR automatically.

I want to get the good hardware and software and ease of use to calibrate SDR signals and maybe HDR if possible.

Thank you all for helping me
Hi Sylvain,

All these solutions, as pattern generators, have digital errors, and they are not recommended.

AppleTV, FireStick/TV, ChromeCast (1 - 2)

madVR is just a software patch generation; not all GPU provide bit-perfect, and it will require to disable ICC, VCGT, and other settings to have proper output.

It's not recommended to use an untested PC output for patch generation.

Several details in the windows or settings of your GPU can affect the video signal output.

The only bit-perfect RGB patch generation solution for consumers right now is the PGenerator (Pi Model B+ Kit 16GB you will need).

For more details, see the PGenerator thread.

HD Fury Linker (Integral, Vertex etc.) connected as the output of PGenerator can inject metadata/AVI, and you will able to generate HDR10 patches.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you, I will go with the RASpi Pgenerator. will just need to learn how to configure the Raspi Pgenerator.

How about using my NUC with Calman and the Raspi Rpgenerator to calibrate the tv ?
Will Pgenerator pattern goes away after reading to display Calman on my TV screen ?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Thank you, I will go with the RASpi Pgenerator. will just need to learn how to configure the Raspi Pgenerator.

How about using my NUC with Calman and the Raspi Rpgenerator to calibrate the tv ?
Will Pgenerator pattern goes away after reading to display Calman on my TV screen ?

Thanks
Please see the first posts of the PGenerator thread.

Its low-cost patch generation solution, your CalMAN will command PGenerator which patches to display.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since I only have a NUC (no laptop) if I install Calman on the NUC and use RASpi Pgenerator I will have to switch back and forth between HDMI input between each measurements. This is going to be tricky.

If I use my PC I will have to buy a USB extension cable (30 ft) for the sensor. Will this affect the sensor readings accuracy ?
Do I need to get a special USB cable extension ?
USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ?

Thank you

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Since I only have a NUC (no laptop) if I install Calman on the NUC and use RASpi Pgenerator I will have to switch back and forth between HDMI input between each measurements. This is going to be tricky.

If I use my PC I will have to buy a USB extension cable (30 ft) for the sensor. Will this affect the sensor readings accuracy ?
Do I need to get a special USB cable extension ?
USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ?

Thank you
Hi,

PGenerator is an OS installed to an SD card; then you place the SD card to Pi3 hardware.

From Pi3 hardware, you connect the HDMI with your TV.

Connect the Pi3 hardware using a LAN cable with your home rooter to perform the initial setup.

Then you can connect via BT, WiFi, or with a direct LAN connection with your NUC.

When you need to use an extension cable for a meter, use only a powered-cable or powered hub.

Not use just a USB extension.

See the first posts of PGenerator thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally got the Raspi and I install Pgenerator and it work ! I see their not pattern for (contrast, brightness, sharpness) How can we add those patttern for Pgenerator and call them with Calman ?

Thank you

701 - 720 of 724 Posts