Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all read this thread:

Maybe a long distance fix...

If Replay released a software program (which seanriddle claimed to be about finished with) and directed us to buy a $50-100 device, we could all use our existing internet connections instead of the dial-up network.

Thus saving them countless dollars.

And saving us countless headaches :)

How about it, Replay?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I HATE "Me too"'s but ...

ME TOO!!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmoazed
Such a device would eat into their high margin Model 4000 sales. Many if not most people buying those are buying them for the broadband connectivity. Specially now that they might remove the Commercial Advance from the machines: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=93910
First of all there is no chance of them removing Commercial Advance (why would they?) that's just ridiculous and they are not going to make that "device" and we don't need them to we are perfectly capable.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'd dump my Replay and SS and I'd plunk down $1K or more for a 4000 (or another series) IF I could get very cheap thin clients without hard drives--or small ones--that could be put in several rooms.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Creech - I totally agree and had suggested that aways back on the post about telling SOnicBlue what we were all looking for as a wishlist. I thought it would be great to have a server with multiple tuners, RAID storage (no more corrupted OSs, lost shows) and X outbound streams - in fact that could be part of the pricing in terms of disk output capabilities and scaling...

But as I write this and dream I also think that would push the price way up...but these could all be options...

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robotron
But as I write this and dream I also think that would push the price way up...but these could all be options...
robotron I think we just have to give it a little time... the future should be interesting. The 4000 is certainly a step in the right direction!! :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Everybody is opting to discuss complex ways to handle dial in problems or the death of replay tv dial-up service. The only thing replay has to do is to add a set-up screen for us to enter our isp phone number and log-on information. Then the unit could call the owners isp and connect to replay the normal way, which is via an HTML/FTP connection. Obviously they plan to continue the service (with the 4000's being released) but when these units do not have modems and a quarter of current owners can no longer connect to the dial-up service. I suspect that replay is now limiting the amount of connection number they will pay for to a certain phone numbers in certain areas. If you think about it, it must be costing them a fortune to maintain Earthlink. If we could use our own isp's they could do away with the dial-in service. How hard could it be to program the new screen. The units already call into an isp and then send a password before connection to replay. They just need to make it so the owner can specify a isp # and log-in information. Just a though, which I suspect has been brought up before.

mark

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Only one problem, Rock, I don't have a dial-up ISP. Broadband only.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rock_doctor
Everybody is opting to discuss complex ways to handle dial in problems or the death of replay tv dial-up service. The only thing replay has to do is to add a set-up screen for us to enter our isp phone number and log-on information. Then the unit could call the owners isp and connect to replay the normal way, which is via an HTML/FTP connection...

...If we could use our own isp's they could do away with the dial-in service. How hard could it be to program the new screen. The units already call into an isp and then send a password before connection to replay. They just need to make it so the owner can specify a isp # and log-in information. Just a though, which I suspect has been brought up before.
Yep doc that is a rather simple solution for those with dial-up ISP but no "Replay supported" dial-up ISP. We don't need them to add a setup screen for this although I don't see how an advanced claw-foot portal version could really hurt as long as it masks the default values. But I don't think we want the newbies changing this willy nilly when they are confused by all the BS and ranting about the connection problems...

I believe Ricardo in Mexico has already done this and if I'm not mistaken he just hexed in the #, user and pass for his local ISP. He offered to help others if they want to try. It may not be perfect for you if they don't have your exact lineup but I don't imagine there are any US broadcast markets without listing representation and of course you can always get national Sat. listings. Those with BB will probably be wanting 4000's anyway.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I don't know if this is even possible, but it would be nice if the serial port could be connected to a PC. With the proper software this could made to download the guide data and such over any TCP/IP connection. Any thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
I don't know if this is even possible, but it would be nice if the serial port could be connected to a PC. With the proper software this could made to download the guide data and such over any TCP/IP connection. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Smooth... that sounds like a deal! :D :D :D When you get time to get some coding worked up be sure to keep us updated. I wonder if bi-directional serial exchange is feasible from the hardware perspective? Hopefully in the meantime we will be getting some of those 4000's :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently in the TiVo world, people are doing PPP over serial. By connecting the TiVo to the PC via the serial cable, people are able to download their guide data via the internet using TCP/IP without having to dial in.

You can get to the instructions on how to do this by going to www.pvrhack.com

This may be helpful in figuring out a way to do this for Replay.

FXR

·
Registered
79 Posts
Acording to the Replay Emps that frequesnt these forums, the serial port on the Replay devices are one way only.

The reason that Tivo can do this is that Tivo runs Linux and has real serial ports.

-Mike

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by firefighter
Acording to the Replay Emps that frequesnt these forums, the serial port on the Replay devices are one way only.

The reason that Tivo can do this is that Tivo runs Linux and has real serial ports.

-Mike
"real serial ports"? I thinkt that you'd find that the Replay's serial port is one-way only simply because there's been no code enabled in the OS to accept incoming data. It's simply a matter of the "phone not ringing so no one's going to answer it."

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas

"real serial ports"? I thinkt that you'd find that the Replay's serial port is one-way only simply because there's been no code enabled in the OS to accept incoming data. It's simply a matter of the "phone not ringing so no one's going to answer it."
Or, the microphone has been cut off of the handset because it was cheeper to make that way. :rolleyes:

-Mike

·
Banned
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by firefighter
Really?! Would you mind pointing out the source of this misinformation?

Ben.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was during the time a guy was making a device to allow his CBand Sat to use Replay using the serial port. I would guess it was Mike?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I think it's just a matter of semantics. It's one way only because it was designed to only output data, and I think that it was characterized as "one way" by a replayperson. Of course it may also be used for some non-disclosed internal diagnostic or downloading of data purposes, but then we would not know anything about such things and as far as we're concerned it is still one way.;) ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.