AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
That warning only appears when you play HDR movie to non-HDR displays. My 4K rips are either both DV and HDR or just HDR and they play fine on my 4K TV in DV or HDR smoothly.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Huh. Thanks for replying. I know I definitely have a 4K HDR television. Guaranteed. So maybe this is a disconnect between what my qled is reporting to the Chromecast.

Anyway, I put it back in the back bedroom with a 1080p tv. I had to go back to the fire TV 4K stick for the family room qled.

-T

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does anyone have success with the Chromecast with Google TV playing 4K HDR via Plex onto a 4K HDR tv? Terminator 2 and assassin's Creed for reference.

I was getting mad stutter. An image would appear on the screen and would not update for another 5 to 10 seconds. The spinning cursor was appearing in between since it has a load data. Basically unplayable. I did receive a pop-up warning when I played the 4K content, and the pop-up was from Plex indicating that the content has HDR and I would need flexpass. Ignore the warning and play the content.

I received no such warning on my 2018 fire stick 4K. And the fire stick plays 4K HDR content via Plex just fine. I have refresh rate set to play the original on both streamers. And the data is coming across as not transcoded video. It's the pure 4K signal.

Both the fire stick 4K and the Google TV were attached to the same television using wi-fi. each one had an internet connection of 170 mbps up/down. So they can go at least that fast. I'm sure it's faster when they just contacting the home network. Cuz they're about 20 ft from the router.

-T
I had trouble playing 4k files too although I never got the pop-up you mentioned. I bought an ethernet adapter and that took care of the problem. And even though I have hardwired my Shield Pro and ATV4K they played the files fine over wifi when I tried it. I figured it was probably interference of some sort since I had the CCGTV plugged into the AVR with all the other wires and cables back there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got mine few days ago. Hoped to replace the Fire TV Stick 4K because Amazon's UI got worse with latest update and the device goes into a boot loop from time to time.
I'm using Fire TV Stick 4K as a Plex/Kodi client to play 4K HDR videos from NAS to FHD SDR TV.
Sadly, CCwGTV just can't do the same.
4K HDR video playback in Plex forces transcoding on server side. If transcoding disabled than playback failed.
4K HDR video playback in Kodi - washed out colors and utter stuttering.
Match Dynamic Range option doesn't change anything

It seems CCwGTV doesn't utilize HEVC hardware decoder when connected to SDR TV

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
CCwGTV plays 4K HDR just fine for HDR TV. And it plays Dolby Vision on 4K rip as well via Plex.

But it does behaves badly when connected to a SDR TV that need to perform HDR->SDR conversion. I had same issue when using Kodi and now Plex. It seems the HDR->SDR conversion is done by the software somehow. It ends up like a slide show.

As for transcoding required error, most of the time it is because you turned on HDMI passthrough (audio bitstream) and the particular format can't be passed through via CCwGTV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone have judder playing 25/50 fps content on LG oled tvs? Tried everything i could with no luck, plays fine on my old sony bravia w805c tv

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Android TV devices don't support frame rate matching feature which are common on other platforms. So make sure you set youtr CCwGTV display output to the frame rate that best for the signal format. In this case, you need to set to 25 or 50.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did and it's strange because it's still has judder, tried that refresh match app for nvidia shield but had no effect.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Android TV devices don't support frame rate matching feature which are common on other platforms. So make sure you set youtr CCwGTV display output to the frame rate that best for the signal format. In this case, you need to set to 25 or 50.
Inaccurate. It is not the Android TV devices which do not support frame rate matching. The devices are more than capable, but they have been limited by the software platform. The hope had been that Android TV 11 would make this possible, but so far that has not come about. The top tier Android TV devices on the market today are more than capable when the software platform and app developers catch up.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Inaccurate. It is not the Android TV devices which do not support frame rate matching. The devices are more than capable, but they have been limited by the software platform. The hope had been that Android TV 11 would make this possible, but so far that has not come about. The top tier Android TV devices on the market today are more than capable when the software platform and app developers catch up.
You don't have to educate me on that. I'm one first discvovered the new API in Android 11. But so far, zero device out there that supports Android TV 11, not even Google's own device. And all the current talk about upcoming Android TV devices are Android TV 10 only. 11 is no where to be found and probably never will be because Android 12 is coming soon:)

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Well, I did some more testing on my Chromecast with Google TV today.

I put this back in the family room which is a 4K HDR tv. So when I try to play back any 4K 59.94 HZ content, plex is telling me it has to transcode because the device cannot play 4K at 59.94 HZ. I have a few 4K demos such as "Samsung travel with my pet HDR UHD 4K demo.". Stutters, causes to reload, etc.o Sony 4K camp demo is another one that won't play right. 59.94 hz content.

Anyone else having issues like that?

I posted a while ago about 4K HDR bluray rips not playing at all. I'm not getting that issue anymore so I don't know what was happening that particular day. So 4K HDR 24p and 25p is playing great today.

The fire stick 4K from 2018 does play 4K 59.94 HZ content referenced above. Chromecast with Google TV won't. Wondering if I have defective hardware. The Chromecast with Google TV is set to 4K 60 output.

-T

Edit:. Plex is set to change the output resolution to whatever the source is.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Pretty much the same story but since virtually no movies are made at 60p anyway, it is not that important to me. I'm just happy that I can play my 4K rips with DV. I suspect the hardware decoder is not designed, powerful enough, to handle that kind of video.
Tested those same video on my Sony TV with plex and most of them plays fine on Sony. So we know this is not a Plex problem. But Sony TV can't play most of my rips in DV mode, only HDR10.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Pretty much the same story but since virtually no movies are made at 60p anyway, it is not that important to me.
You're right about the 60p thing in terms of movies. I think gemini man is dreamable 4K 60p. Not sure if it was delivered that way on a 4K UHD disc.

The part that bothered me the most was that 2-year-old hardware from amazon's fire stick 4K, plays 4K 60p without any issues whatsoever, and with plenty of processing to spare.

-T

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Probably on different SoC. CCwGTV only consumes 7.5w max. So some corners have to be cut.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
You're right about the 60p thing in terms of movies. I think gemini man is dreamable 4K 60p. Not sure if it was delivered that way on a 4K UHD disc.

The part that bothered me the most was that 2-year-old hardware from amazon's fire stick 4K, plays 4K 60p without any issues whatsoever, and with plenty of processing to spare.

-T
Yes it is 2160P60 on the UHD BD. In some of the theaters they had it as 120fps. Which is the framerate it was recorded at.

Reactions: T-Bone
801 - 820 of 837 Posts