AVS Forum banner

881 - 897 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just installed the update so not sure if it's fixed.

Shield pro is ok. I tried it and it was pretty snappy same overall good. But the one thing it lacks is YouTube HDR and HDR10+ (not that 10+ a major deal breaker... But it should sorry that imho). Has that changed?
No. They actually could (and did briefly) implement software-processed YT HDR support (resolution/bitrate limited) similar to what they did with the Xbox, but apparently backed away from that.

It also does not have HLG support (passthrough or decode), Hulu 4K, Peacock TV (reliable) 5.1, Paramount+ 5.1, FoxSports/FoxNow HDR, etc

In terms of maximized audio/video quality, the Shield is great for local streaming , but poor for internet streaming (relative to other streamers).

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Yes, it has full "Chomecast built-in" GoogleCast protocol support (for casting & mirroring) as well as DIAL-enabled apps (YT/NF/etc).
Unfortunately, unlike Google's hubs, it will not cast Audio to a group speaker, which is a crazy omission.

I don't understand why Google doesn't allow it to cast audio to a Chromecast-enabled speaker, like even the Mini hub can.

The Bluetooth disconnect from a paired speaker has not been fixed by the latest update.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Are you using the Google Home App on your Phone/Tablet to cast? The last time I checked, I was able to create a group with three of my Home Minis and CCWGT. It wasn't the greatest thing to work with, but it was possible.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Because Android TV OS doesn't have this capability to cast to another device. And typically, you are connected to a TV and use TV's speakers (or soundbar) to play audio. It will be crazy to re-direct that to a speaker elsewhere.

·
UHD Addict
38,400 Posts
My testing shows that latest firmware update also enables 4K60p DV playback in Plex. Previously all those DV test clips with 4K 60p won't play at all. However, I'm not sure if it is due to Plex updates or firmware updates.
Not sure if it would be plex since I had no issue playing 2160P60 with DV on the SHield TV in Plex. Like with Gemini Man. Although I thought I had tried it with my Chromecast before? But maybe not?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Not sure if it would be plex since I had no issue playing 2160P60 with DV on the SHield TV in Plex. Like with Gemini Man. Although I thought I had tried it with my Chromecast before? But maybe not?
There was a discussion earlier in this thread or the other one that we concluded CCwGTV just can't play 4K60 DV. I'm glad this has been resolved.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Glad that it's resolved for Plex, unfortunately 4K60 Dolby Vision still stutters on Google Play Movies, Movies Anywhere and to a lesser extent, Disney+.

At least this is my experience using the most up-to-date firmware and a LG C8 OLED. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Are you using the Google Home App on your Phone/Tablet to cast? The last time I checked, I was able to create a group with three of my Home Minis and CCWGT. It wasn't the greatest thing to work with, but it was possible.
Yes, I can create a group. The problem is that there is no option to select a "default speaker" as you can do when there is a Google hub (including the Mini) and a Chromecast-enabled speaker.

Because Android TV OS doesn't have this capability to cast to another device. And typically, you are connected to a TV and use TV's speakers (or soundbar) to play audio. It will be crazy to re-direct that to a speaker elsewhere.
Why would it be crazy? I am trying to use a Google TV plugged into the back of a 70" TV hung on a wall without dangling wires or opening up the wall to hide the cable.

I can imagine a common scenario where a TV is hung on a wall that's not in close proximity to a receiver. Implementing the ability to cast the audio should be a no-brainer, IMO.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Casting starts a separate stream on the other device which means it is virtually impossible to have that audio in sync with your TV's video. And have a stereo audio come out something that's far away from TV is also unnatural, IMO.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Casting starts a separate stream on the other device which means it is virtually impossible to have that audio in sync with your TV's video. And have a stereo audio come out something that's far away from TV is also unnatural, IMO.

You have a point. But how is that different than Sending audio to the soundbar through Bluetooth? I don't seem to experience any BT sync issues and is there something about Chromecast that would make syncing so much harder to achieve? It's just another wifi protocol and the likes of Samsung seem to have figured it out since almost a decade ago.

The problem is that the latest Google TV update seems to have made Bluetooth audio casting even more unreliable and prone to disconnect, to the point where it's unusable for casual users.

As to stereo vs multichannel, I don't find the difference on a soundbar noticeable for practical purposes, so I'd rather have the convenience of a cableless setup.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
You have a point. But how is that different than Sending audio to the soundbar through Bluetooth? I don't seem to experience any BT sync issues and is there something about Chromecast that would make syncing so much harder to achieve? It's just another wifi protocol and the likes of Samsung seem to have figured it out since almost a decade ago.

The problem is that the latest Google TV update seems to have made Bluetooth audio casting even more unreliable and prone to disconnect, to the point where it's unusable for casual users.

As to stereo vs multichannel, I don't find the difference on a soundbar noticeable for practical purposes, so I'd rather have the convenience of a cableless setup.
Totally different things. Casting sends an URL for the device to start streaming by itself from that URL independent of the original device. BT audio is just like using the wire where processed audio data pass throught the BT wireless connection, not the original audio stream. And BT audio does incurred slight audio delay but not in the same range as starting a new stream from internet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Anyone getting video freezing (audio still plays) and/or intermittent DV dropouts on the Apple TV app?

Recently watched Defending Jacob and it froze and dropped out on every episode. Tried rolling back the app and the issue persists.

Running on LG OLED, 4K60 DV.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Chadwick...I had a lot of issues on the GCCWGTV. Finally gave up and returned it. I couldn't get the audio to sync up with Atmos, flickering picture, system lock up, etc. I like google but this device just didn't work for me. Currently trying the Fire Cube Gen 2 and it's been really good so far. Much better than the CC.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Totally different things. Casting sends an URL for the device to start streaming by itself from that URL independent of the original device. BT audio is just like using the wire where processed audio data pass throught the BT wireless connection, not the original audio stream. And BT audio does incurred slight audio delay but not in the same range as starting a new stream from internet.
Thanks.
I had to go to using an HDMI cable, as the latest Google TV update made the Bluetooth audio connection to the soundbar even more unstable, to the point where it's unusable.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Has ANYONE seen/heard any indication that the PIP Nest Hello notifications that were shown in the early UI leaks will ever show up? This was one of the killer features I had high hopes for. Resolution/HDR issues outside of Netflix/Prime at launch kept my CCGTV in the box for quite a while but now it seems most/all of that has been resolved... so the only hoped-for feature that's still lacking is the Nest Hello notifications. If this came to fruition, I'd gladly replace all my other streaming devices with CCGTVs, even my '19 Shield.

881 - 897 of 897 Posts