AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying the cinematrix modified dvd player for my Sony VPL-W400.On their website they have a special offer which is the mod. dvd player and a PCM board for a thousand bucks.My question is what can I use the separate PCM board for ? On their site they mention that it can be hooked up to a DSS system.Is this possible and will it produce a better picture ? I tried e-mailing Cinematrix directly but they didnt bother to respond.Any advice would be appreciated.Paul Hussey.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Paul, I think the special is for the player with the pcm board in it. You can get a different pcm board to go in a dss but that is not included in the $1000.

Scott

·
Registered
626 Posts
Good point Roland. I debated whether to buy the PSM-1 now or hang on for the PSM-2. I figured that I'd go for the PSM-1 now because;

a) Its the most current and bug-free version available

b) I'm wary of getting an early PSM-2 until its been tried and tested

c) I'm not sure I need all the bells of whistles of the PSM-2 and finally

d) I couldn't stand the wait any longer, I sent off my player yesterday to Frank D!

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
800 Posts
Roland- There will NOT be a PSM-2 modded DVD player. They

(Cinematrix) plan on releasing it (PSM-2) as an external scaler.

It's not going to be released until (maybe) March. It's also going

to be in the $2000 to $2500 price range.

Paul- I think you made the right choice!!! The board is virtually

bug free and looks AWESOME!! You might hear a lot of people

slam PSM-1 but most of the people who (supposedly) know

about have never even seen one! I don't know what kind of

projector you have, but if it's a CRT you are in for a real treat.

Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi Darrin,

Yep, I'm a CRT man, Barco 801s and I'm dying to get my hands on the PSM-1!!

You sure about there not being a PSM-2 modded player? I spoke to Frank Dorhoof (one of the European installers) about it less than a month ago and at that point it was still being worked on for a January '02 release for testing and a March/April release to consumers. I do hope its not vapourware but if so, like you said, the PSM-1 is awesome and at least its here now!

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you guys have a web site were I can find more info about this board and more importantly someone who can install it in the US?

Thanks,

-p

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just heard back from Frank, he says there won't now be a stand-alone scaler, just the mod and the Delphi (Cinematrix's own PSM-2 DVD player).

Guess we''ll have to wait and see - I'm real glad I went for the PSM-1, either way, looks like it will be phased out come time.

Paul

·
Registered
380 Posts
I sent an e-mail and got back a reply from [email protected] .

He said they could modify my ThetaDavid interlaced DVD player with the PCM-1 board for 879 plus 30 S&H and insurance.

He said it will not affect my current outputs, but will provide RGBHV BNC outputs at any resolution that I specify.

I would want it to output the native resolution of my G-15 D-ILA which is 1365X1024.

Does anybody know if that means that it would only output a

4X3 image or would you have to specify 1365X768 for the 16X9 portion of the D-ILA panel? I may be getting over my head here or unneccesarily complicating this-I don't know.

Larry

·
Registered
800 Posts
Paul- Sorry for not responding sooner. I would love to think there

is a PSM-2 mod coming, but....when you hear different from

Cinematrix directly, I tend to believe them. They distinctly told

me that there is NO PSM-2 board coming. It will be a dedicated

scaler that will be in the $2500 to $3000 range. THey will also

have their own DVD player. My advice is to enjoy PSM-1 now,

it looks better then most scalers. The only problem I see with

the PSM-1 is the lack of refresh rate adjustment. So when your

watching fast action scenes it's not as smooth as it could be.

It would be nice to go to 72hz and beyond. Oh well. Can't have

everything.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Darrin, very disappointing. The PSM-2 had the makings of the ultimate upgrade at a very reasonable cost - looks like they have sold out to making a hefty profit instead.

I'm really glad I've ordered my PSM-1 - looks like it may not be available in the near future which is a shame!

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
392 Posts
Paul

Which DVD player do you / will you have with the PSM-1? I have a Sony 7700 with the mod and while NTSC DVDs look very good on PAL DVDs there is a lot of stairstepping going on.

I therefore don't use the PSM-1 for PAL DVDs but instead I use the SKYWORTH 1050P.

Actually I'd be very disappointed if CINEMATRIX wouldn't release an upgrade-PSM-2 board but instead only a standalone scaler for $2'500.

We wouldn't get the deinterlacing and scaling done in the digital domain - or will they provide a digital video output upgrade for DVD players and a digital input on the "PSM-2 scaler"?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi Roland,

Its the Pioneer 737 that is being upgraded. I don't have many PAL DVDs but hopefully the stairstepping is much reduced on the 737 (Frank D. thought the 737 has far less stairstepping than the Sony 7700 - we shall see), as long as its a good NTSC picture I'll be happy!

Frank D. is positive there will be PSM-2 upgrade and I really hope there is but I can well believe that Cinematrix may just cater for the external scaler market which is no doubt a lot bigger than the market for modded DVD players - a pity.

I'll post a review of the 737 once I receive it back and also finally get the projector mounted onto the ceiling (this weekend for both hopefully)

All the best,

Paul

·
Registered
800 Posts
Paul- I wouldnt say that Cinematrix is selling out due to releasing

a standalone scaler and a DVD with PSM-2 technology. I think they are going to release a product that will be as good as or

even better then $5,000 to $7000 for almost half of that. If you look at the PSM-1, it just baffles the mind how awesome a product

it is compared to things that cost 5x as much.

Roland- When Cinematrix does release the scaler, it will have

MUCH better de-interlacing!! They told me they will be using

Truevison in the new scaler and DVD player. The scaler will

have MANY more bells and whistles as well as SDI/DVI. So,

as you can see they will be kicking some butt in the scaler market

in a few months. We need more companies like Cinematrix to

stir things up;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darrin
Paul- I wouldnt say that Cinematrix is selling out due to releasing

a standalone scaler and a DVD with PSM-2 technology. I think they are going to release a product that will be as good as or

even better then $5,000 to $7000 for almost half of that. If you look at the PSM-1, it just baffles the mind how awesome a product

it is compared to things that cost 5x as much.

I know, I'm just disappointed and it all sounds depressingly familiar (i.e. the original concept behind the Rock) - lets hope it doesn't go that way price wise!

Paul

·
Registered
800 Posts
Paul- It's funny that you mentioned that situation. I was following

The Rock with much anticipation. I would speak to Phil almost

every week on it's progress just counting the days till it's release.

Then, all of a sudden, the price started changing! It just continued

to go north and I decided The ROck was NOT for me. Oh well.

I guess we'll have to see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.