AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch the premiere of "The Cleaner" this week? I've recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Is it worth a look?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Date & Time? What is the show about.

TWC = No HD atm

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry.

It premiered Tuesday 10/9c on A&E HD. According to Fred's HOTP thread, the numbers were pretty good.

http://www.aetv.com/the-cleaner/

"Each week THE CLEANER follows Benjamin Bratt as William Banks, a recovering addict who helps others get clean by any means necessary as he struggles to maintain his own rocky personal life. William works with an eclectic team. Swenton is a wily smart aleck who is great undercover and always jealous of Akani, the beautiful, manipulative, and mysterious woman who always seems to get the best assignments and might just have a romantic past with William. Darnell is the newest member of William's crew. Darnell is deeply indebted to William for helping his younger brother get clean, but he must balance his deep religious convictions with the kind of work required as part of William's team.

"Together with this eclectic group, William works week-in and week-out to bring addicts of all kinds to the point where they are ready and willing to get help and begin the difficult process of getting clean. With every success and every failure, William wrestles with his own demons through an unusual relationship with God. He's a man caught between an unwavering commitment to his work, deep love for his family, and the ghosts of his own addictions. Bad for his personal life, perhaps, but these are the tensions that make William the one you want helping a troubled loved one, the one you trust to do whatever is necessary, the man you want by your side in your darkest hour. In the face of tragedy and addiction, William Banks will risk everything to be The Cleaner."

Main Cast:

Benjamin Bratt ... William Banks

Amy Price-Francis ... Mellissa Banks

Brett DelBuono ... Ben Banks

Liliana Mumy ... Lula Banks

Grace Park ... Akani (from 'BSG')

Esteban Powell ... Arnie Swenton

Kevin Michael Richardson ... Darnell Mc Dowell (you might remember him from 'The Knights of Properity')

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
I didn't bother. When I originally saw the title, I thought it was going to be about a "Cleaner" for the mob, hitmen or the government. That would have been cool.

Then I read the actual premise and had absolutely no interest. It sounds like the premise of "Hack", but specializing only in drugs.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Benjamin Bratt as always good in Law&Order

·
Registered
128 Posts
I kinda enjoyed it. It got better as the hour went along and I'll definitely be tuning in for at least a few episodes. You should check it out, its better than the last couple to start up.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm going to hold off getting into this new series for now, as we have enough, and this series is going to extend past September 23, when I plan to knock myself down to limited basic cable.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
I've setup a Season Pass for this show, too. I'm not sure what to think about its premise but I always liked Bratt on Law and Order. Consequently I'm willing to give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/14318893

I didn't bother. When I originally saw the title, I thought it was going to be about a "Cleaner" for the mob, hitmen or the government. That would have been cool.

Then I read the actual premise and had absolutely no interest. It sounds like the premise of "Hack", but specializing only in drugs.

This sounds a lot closer to what you were expecting:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896798/

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 /forum/post/14318423

Did anyone catch the premiere of "The Cleaner" this week? I've recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Is it worth a look?

I don't know how busy your life is, but especially given that you already have it recorded, why not just invest 5 or 10 minutes of your time and see if you like it. Others may not like it, but you might. Hate you see you not watch what you've already recorded if someone else says they don't like it and you find out later on that you did like it.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
I watched today, too, and was mostly underwhelmed. Although the cast was uniformly outstanding, the thing is mostly soap opera and a downer at that, it seemed to me. The worst, though, the very worst, was A&E's stupid decision to clumsily Bowdlerize the dialog. They excised words that are routinely used on broadcast network shows, such as ass and *****, and substituted dead air. After awhile that made me CRAZY. That should have been enough to convince me to delete my Season Pass then and there but I decided to give it one more episode because of Benjamin Bratt's talent. Nevertheless, after the next episode I suspect I'll be done.

A somewhat similar plot concept is used on the popular, Saving Grace, which, despite the presence of the supremely talented Holly Hunter, I ended up hating. That's another reason why I am probably about through with The Cleaner.

Based on what I've seen so far, not recommended.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley /forum/post/14331039

I don't know how busy your life is, but especially given that you already have it recorded, why not just invest 5 or 10 minutes of your time and see if you like it. Others may not like it, but you might. Hate you see you not watch what you've already recorded if someone else says they don't like it and you find out later on that you did like it.

I watched it over the weekend. The jury is out - it has not grabbed my attention. Since it takes a while to build characters in a series, I'll give it a couple of more episodes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/14331150

The worst, though, the very worst, was A&E's stupid decision to clumsily Bowdlerize the dialog. They excised words that are routinely used on broadcast network shows, such as ass and *****, and substituted dead air. After awhile that made me CRAZY.

I don't remember them filtering words at all. In fact, the swearing in the episode stood out to me - it was more than networks would allow, but not 'Goodfellas' quality, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
After this week's episode, I see why it has been two months since anyone has posted to this thread. I have watched every episode from the beginning and have come to hate it. Half the characters are out of control addicts and the other half seem to be emotionally fragile ex-addicts, waiting to fall back into the abyss. What a downer! Despite Benjamin Bratt's talent, I am finished with this show.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts