AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me why THE COMMITMENTS dvd is $145 brand new at Amazon.com and everywhere else for that matter and it's not even out of print??? Not to mention that it's FULL SCREEN only???

Why the hell is this movie so damn expensive?!?!?! I had no idea!! Are there any other movies out there that aren't out of print but have an outrageous price tag as well???

Lastly ... is this movie coming out in WIDESCREEN anytime soon at a REASONABLE price??

If anyone has any info, please post ... thanks!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I don't get it either. What's even funnier is that the R2 PAL DVD can be purchased from Blackstar for about $27.00 US.

--Jerome

·
Registered
165 Posts
When discs go out of print, the price seeks its own level, strictly determined by the amount people are willing to pay. 'The Commitments' has become a fairly hot collector's item, however, there are plenty of better ways to spend your money [buy some Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding CDs].

The comforting fact is that those who hold the rights to any given film make no money by not releasing them to the marketplace. Almost every film with a potential audience will be reissued sooner or later (probably sooner). If not on DVD, then on DVD-HD.

Just be glad you're not the last guy who ran out to purchase 'Evil Dead' on laserdisc for $750. How many times has that film been released on DVD already?

Patience.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
This is a great flick, but the DVD isn't very good at all. I really wish it would be redone and done right. I've seen it a gazzillion times on VHS and a few on DVD. Its one of those that grew on me. At first, the accents are a bit thick and the Dublin'isms are unfamiliar. But after the second time, I really liked it. The actors aren't pros, or weren't at the time, and do perform the music themselves, so its unusual in that respect. And, despite the fact the they weren't the best actors ever born, it has a lot of heart and humor.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
One of the greatest movies in the history of the universe. I suspect it is out of print... Amazon doesn't really indicate that the OOP Criterion Silence of the Lambs is OOP, though the remaining copies do not command a similar price to what you describe. Possibly someone has cornered the market on what is left of The Commitments.

I am prepared to wait. I suspect it is only a matter of time before it is redone properly in R1. Can't have no PAL speedup on this baby.

·
Registered
247 Posts
'The Commitments' DVD for $145? I saw it advertized on E-BAY for that price also... WOW.. that is high.. I guess I will just have to continue watching it using my LAZER-DISC version. Anyone know WHY it is so expensive? The DVD is in 4/3, not in its original aspect ratio and is recorded in 2.0 Dolby surround. A couple reviews I have read said that the DVD is not that good compared to the original VHS or LD versions. Ron AZ

·
Registered
135 Posts
poj: ...ahh... note that dvdfr.com is NOT an e-tailer - it is a French site that informs about upcoming and already released French (Region2/PAL) DVDs...

...fyi: in my experience the information they provide is usually correct - it is correct in the case of this particular movie, too!... (and, again in my experience, any amazon site anywhere usually doesn't know its fore from its aft where technical specs of DVDs are concerned)...

...to make matters perfectly clear: the disc I referred to in my previous post is NOT, repeat NOT a UK disc, but a French disc, intended for Italy, France, Belgium and The Netherlands...
http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_...page=1&id=9225

...the UK cooks its own broth - afaik UK DVDs NEVER have French subtitles, they CERTAINLY NEVER have Italian subtitles...

...perhaps it is useful to know that EUROPE = Region 2 (PAL), but WITHIN "Europe" there are many different countries, each of which may, and very often does, make its OWN version of a DVD, that may be, but very often isn't, available in another European country...

...for instance the Full, Complete, Totally Uncut, almost three-hour version of Giuseppe Tornatore's ENGLISH-LANGUAGE film " The Legend Of 1900" is available ONLY, EXCLUSIVELY in Italy, on an Italian 2-DVD SE... any other version of that very same movie, wherever it may be made, is ONLY available in the shortened (to two hours) "International Version"...

...sad?... yes!... confusing?... yes!!... true?... yes!!!

. . . :eek: . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.