AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read every post for the last year on Componet Video cables for DVD players.

It looks like Monster Cable is ripping everyone off with there High price mark up.

A freind of mine who works at Best Buy says Monster is marked up %50 as when He got them with His Employee discount Cost plus 5% they were 45% off.

THE QUESTION

===============

I know when cables are really good on the High end line. There are many posts and links.

But what is good on the Mid Price line.

Are the A.R Acoustic Research ones at best buy and sears or Radio Shack Premium Fusion any good.

Are the Radio shack Gold cables good for DVD Componet.

What to get?

Ideas?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Wow. Monster is overpriced?

WHO KNEW?????

OK, sorry, not being a "cables matter" kind of guy, I could not resist. FWIW, although I have not tried them yet, I did find the bluejeans site refreshingly honest, and the prices looked to be better than RS for some stuff.

Seems to me I paid over $50 for a 12' RS Gold component set. I think BJ has what is perhaps even better quality for about the same money.

I think the head monster has enough Ferrari's, don't you? Then again, they sure as hell have perfected the art of selling the sizzle and not the steak.

BGL

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the gold series cables from Radio Shack and they work fine.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to the world of accesories. Ask you friend about the gold Belkin computer cables that cost about $35 and he can get them for about $3. There's massive markup on all accesories that's how companies make money or stay afloat. Monster compared to the rest of that cable world is very cheap that cost thousands of dollars a meter. Monster is actually on the lower end in cable prices not many other companies besides them and AR can you get quality cables for less than $50. I'd say they are on the high end of the low price stuff but still not overpriced compared to the world of accesories.

Daniel Smith

PS. tell your friend he can acually get them for 60% off if he orders directly from Monster and can get stuff they don't carry in the store plus no tax unless in CA. Tell him to ask his supervisor in the audio department.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
It's easy math - look at all the packageing and advertising(mooster) and then think about the small guys, like Bluejeans or Rhino or many others that build a great cable and send it in a plastic bag.

I believe a certain quality is important. I'll never forget buying my first DVD player at CC, and reaching for that 2 meter Monster Cable and getting the BIG supprise at the counter.......80.00 ....... for what? Bottom of the line Monster. I know better now.

DUH!

E

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seezar
For right around $35-$50 (depending on length) you can get these:

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

What is the price range you want to spend?
I did an A-B comparison between the cheap blue AR cables and the $90 Monster cables, both from Best Buy. The Monster looked slightly better, but then I returned the TV anyway, as well as the cables.

Then I later bought a Sony GW II and did an A-B comparison again between Monster and bluejeans cables. The bluejeans seemed ever-so-slightly better, and at less than half the price, it was no contest. The Monsters went back to Best Buy and I have kept the bluejeans (though I should have gotten just 3 or 4 feet, and the 3-cable wrapped set is rather stiff.

If I get a DVI-equipped DVD player, then I'll get those Pacific cable DVI cables that cost less than $20 and are said to be as good as $100 DVI cables.

Monster is overpriced. Way overpriced. You can pay 20% or so more and get Bettercables that are better. Or you can pay 1/2 the price and get bluejeans cables that are probably all you'll need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whats the difference between Audioquest and Bettercables?

Quality wise?

Which is peferable for component?

Kind of hard to search through the mire of cable and their claimed benefits if you dont have time and money to try them all or a degree in sound engineering.

Thanks for any help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.