AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I just learned that getting an extra HD Cable box in my house costs a whopping $16/mo! That's because even though Cox Cable charges $10/mo. for the additional box, they also charge their $6.95 fee for the "Digital Gateway." Apparently for every digital box you rent, you have to pay this extra special fee as well. So i guess if I got a CableCard compliant tv, I'd still have to pay $2 rental fee for the card + $6.95 "Digital Gateway" tax for a grand total of close to $10/mo. extra even if I don't rent their box! Getting an extra HD-DVR box would cost my about $27/mo. or $324/yr!! Every year!

Sorry, but doesn't this seem scummy to anyone else? Am I just being cheap or is this as greedy as I think it is?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
first off you shouldnt need a "digital gateway" for every box... its a one time fee to let you have extended basic (or full basic) and all the HDTV channels.

My HD-DVR is 15/month to rent (10 for rent and 5 for DVR service fee)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have Cox Cable? I talked to two different CSRs there, and asked them if they were sure I needed to pay this "digital gateway" fee for every digital box, and they said they were absolutely sure.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Yeah in TX.... I had extended basic (now called full basic) and they told me you only need one $5 digital gateway fee.

But I am now on full digital cable so the gateway fee isnt needed for me anymore.

·
Super Moderator
18,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donotremove
Getting an extra HD-DVR box would cost my about $27/mo. or $324/yr!! Every year!
If it makes you feel less alone, I'm facing a similar charge for an additional DVR. Seems the cost of the first one is sort of rolled into the HD/digital pack. On the bill, it makes it look like my HD DVR is something like $6 a month. But a second one will cost me something like $18/mo. Unlike you, there's no "gateway" fee. It's simply the charge for the additional HD DVR. However, when I signed up, the DVR wasn't available without subscription to the digital tier. Doubt that's changed. I'm Brighthouse. And the CSR was extremely up front about it all.

BUT, a digital cable box without DVR capability is still only 2 or 3 bucks a month (can't remember which), no matter how many I want.

Doc

·
Registered
860 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about this situation is how the COX commercials make it seem like any of there customers who want HD programing wont have any additional charges. They say "FREE" in there commercial several times. Just because you are essentially leasing the equipment from them doesn't mean its free. To me, leasing means I am buying something. If I give you money for something on a regular basis I feel that thing is mine. Cox says you dont have to BUY anything. Guess it is just there way to make themselves sound better than Satellite.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
By free, I believe they mean it doesnt cost more than the SD Programming, which it doesn't.

But I agree free does usually mean free, though I don't think anyone expects a cable company's product to actually cost $0 unless you are stealing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.