297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let’s see:

Both of them live in caves

Both have big fangs and claws

Both have wings and fly

Both are blind and use some kind of sonar-echo-location thing

So, in a one vs. one which one wins? hehehe

A little bit more seriously I know the plot wasn't that good but the photography was awesome. Seeing a film with good real scenery was like fresh air these days where everything is done by computers, even the creatures were puppets like in the old days.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Clearly nothing new in concept of this creature feature, but agreed that this cinematography -- all the underwater stuff, all the cave locations, lighting, staging -- all of it -- this was no cakewalk to shoot. It is nothing short of sumptuous/lavish and my new number one reference!

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych
Clearly nothing new in concept of this creature feature, but agreed that this cinematography -- all the underwater stuff, all the cave locations, lighting, staging -- all of it -- this was no cakewalk to shoot. It is nothing short of sumptuous/lavish and my new number one reference!
I'm an active cave diver since 1992, and several times have had the opportunity to meet the man who headed up the underwater videography on The Cave, Wes Skiles. Wes was one of the early pioneers in exploring and mapping some of the Florida spring - cave systems. From what I was told on a recent cave diving trip in Florida, the UW shots were filmed at Dos Ojos, a cave system in Mexico that I've dived several times over the years. There are over 120,000 ft of explored passages in the system, most of which is relatively shallow at about 10 - 30 ft. deep.

Thought I'd pass on some real world info if anyone is interested. More real footage of the system is in the IMAX film, Journey Into Amazing Caves.

ss9001

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the DVD extras they said that they use HD cameras to film the movie. This is one movie that I'll definitively get in high def.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
ss9001:

Thanks for that info -- in my mind there was no way that was a set piece for the cave interior, which means that to stage that operation would have been akin to mounting a full scale commando invasion of at least a small sovereign power -- all that lighting equipment, etc. -- the logistics just boggle the mind! Their devotion to their craft has paid off very handsomely and I can only hope they realize that at least some folks have REALLY appreciated the effort.

To the DP and gentlemen and/or ladies of THE CAVE DP crew, if you are out there reading, bless you for this reference disc! I had it sent by NETFLIX, but have quickly dashed out to add it to my increasingly narrow picks for must-owns (about ten discs this year)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil
In the DVD extras they said that they use HD cameras to film the movie. This is one movie that I'll definitively get in high def.
I heard the same info. It would very good to have released on BD.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil
Ok, let’s see:

Both of them live in caves

Both have big fangs and claws

Both have wings and fly

Both are blind and use some kind of sonar-echo-location thing

So, in a one vs. one which one wins? hehehe
Pitch Black. All the "little" ones would soften them up before the "big" ones came out to finish them off. :)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The ones from pitch Black would tear the creature from The Cave a new one... right quick like.

Not only that, Pitch Black was a fairly original creature and the one in The Cave is seemed all too familiar. ;)

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Seems like even I could take down quite a few of the creatures from The Cave if I had more than climbing/diving gear for weapons.

Just a quick question to those that thought about it...how the hell would echo imaging work in a big city, what with all the interference from cars, talking, etc.?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.