AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from D* last night. Short story is they offered me a Sat C kit "free" plus $8.50 shipping. I said yes. Then, they started rattling off some BS, and in the middle I heard her say "a 12 month commitment to at least a Total Choice package...". I said, "Hold on a minute. What's the charge if I decide to cancel?" She said "$150.00". I told her I could get a Sat C kit for about $30, and not have to be locked into any BS 12 month commitment....thanks, but no thanks D*. I also told her I would drop D* in a heartbeat if Dish gets ESPN HD first. What a rip...a "free" Sat C kit that requires a 12 month commitment with a $150 cancellation fee. They must really think people are stupid.

These guys just don't get it.

mike

·
Registered
982 Posts
Flooper,

I'm with you. I had a similar problem when I tried to buy a stb for my father-in-law. This is not how I'd run my business. You'd think they'd understand by now that Americans react very strongly to any restriction to their freedom - in this case freedom of choice. Moreover, many of the people caught in the commitment squeeze you describe are long-time customers. Is that how a business should treat a person who has consistently provided them with a nice revenue stream? I've been with D* since mid-1997 and these contracts have me seriously thinking of a switch to E*.

-Reagan

·
Registered
41 Posts
when I upgraded to HD, I had the same kind of commitment restriction, but I agreed to it, since they gave me a whole new dish (I only had single LNB) AND they had it professionally installed for me. That made it worth it. But I agree, if all they are doing is giving you a free $30 Sat-C kit, and you still have to risk your own neck installing it...a 12 month commitment is a lot to ask for.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, I'm worried everytime I call D* that somehow something I say will get me roped into a 1 year commitment. It seems to be the #1 priority by the CSRs to get you repeatedly into these. Before I end any call with them, I ask specifically about any commitment requirments. Even after they have said no, I've received a poscard in the mail informing me that I am commited. I pitty the CSR that received my call in response to that postcard.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by livetoflyfish
Yes, I'm worried everytime I call D* that somehow something I say will get me roped into a 1 year commitment. It seems to be the #1 priority by the CSRs to get you repeatedly into these. Before I end any call with them, I ask specifically about any commitment requirments. Even after they have said no, I've received a poscard in the mail informing me that I am commited. I pitty the CSR that received my call in response to that postcard.
Have fun with it, make up your own postcard with some unilaterally agreed-to committment from DirecTV to you and mail it to them. It's got about as much validity as the one you get. And maybe you get lucky. :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVorBust
when I upgraded to HD, I had the same kind of commitment restriction, but I agreed to it, since they gave me a whole new dish (I only had single LNB) AND they had it professionally installed for me. That made it worth it. But I agree, if all they are doing is giving you a free $30 Sat-C kit, and you still have to risk your own neck installing it...a 12 month commitment is a lot to ask for.
Same deal for me - free oval dish with triple LNB, pro installation & 3 months of SHO-HD, in exchange for something like $15 S&H plus 1 year commitment. Seemed reasonable to me, since I had no reason to bail on DirecTV. I dislike cable companies much more...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
hmm they must have alot of turnover or something, to push so hard for the 1 year thing, I prefer dish much much more.. and if not for hdnet I would drop directtv this instant . if dish gets espn and or more importantly to me the other hdnet channels before directtv I am gone...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am a Dish customer (and former DirecTV customer) and just wanted to warn you that I am not so sure Dish will be that much better in terms of (a) knowledge of CSRs, (b) misleading and deceptive promotions, (c) overall service quality.

From everything I have read, Dish is just as bad (or worse) than D* -- these tactics seem to be standard in the industry. I just don't want to get your (the "switchers") hopes up!

:(

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have had the same experience when calling to activate an additional receiver. When I asked what "was the consideration" for my being bound for an additional year the response was "you don't have to pay full price for additional service".

If I ever do cancel service, I will first revoke permission for the credit card autocharge and then argue later.

Of course, I am of the opinion that the one year committment they impose is void whenever they raise rates. They can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rvaidyan
I am a Dish customer (and former DirecTV customer) and just wanted to warn you that I am not so sure Dish will be that much better in terms of (a) knowledge of CSRs, (b) misleading and deceptive promotions, (c) overall service quality.

From everything I have read, Dish is just as bad (or worse) than D* -- these tactics seem to be standard in the industry. I just don't want to get your (the "switchers") hopes up! :(
There's also that ongoing thing about DishNetwork not refunding prorated prepaid subscription fees when you cancel. That's not terribly friendly either. At least DirecTV will do that.

And in all fairness, the $150 fee DirecTV claims for terminating before the 1 year committment ends is also prorated, so if you cancel at the end of the 10th month, you're only going to sacrifice 2/12ths of the $150. Though I expect that it's prorated by day, not by month, too, just like programming.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
Of course, I am of the opinion that the one year committment they impose is void whenever they raise rates. They can't have it both ways.
Interesting you should mention this. I got my new dish end of January, and signed the 1-year commitment at the same time (I have Total Choice.) I recently got a postcard saying that they were raising rates, but because I had commited to one year, they would honor the old rate for that time! I thought this was pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I bought and self-installed my HD stb, oval dish, and later Sat-C kit ordered from Radio Shack--so I'm not locked in and don't have to pay a $150 cancellation fee.

Of course, I paid $150 for the dish I installed myself and $25 or so for the Sat-C kit. So to avoid a pro-rated cancellation fee (which I doubt I'd ever have reason to pay since I don't plan on cancelling any time soon) I spent $175 when I could have gotten the hardware and installation virtually for free.

Of course when Comcast starts HD service here in Fresno (likelihood of this is about the same as that of hell freezing over) offering 12 HD channels vs DirectTV's 4, I'll be sitting pretty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.