AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have never had a projector before so this is all new to me.

Also, I made a very sudden move because a fellow forum member had a nearly new Z1 that he wanted to part with. I took it off his hands in a transaction I believe was mutually beneficial.

I was totally unprepared, so I have no screen. I also have a mantle that is too high and haven't figured out the screen logistics at all. I set the Z1 up on a box and plugged in the Zenith 420. The picture is beautiful, despite the lack of "pixels" -- even projecting onto the beige wall will holes leftover from the plasma mount that was there.

I realize the wall is no gain and such, but I have to say that with the lamp in low power mode, I cannot really watch a 51-inch wide picture with a 100-watt lamp on in the back of the room. Too much washout. I have to say that in high power mode, the fan is way too loud to actually use, except possibly for daytime sports -- and even then, I'd need at least a partial hushbox of some kind.

Finally, I have to add that I have no trouble at all seeing screendoor at 2 screen widths away. It's trivial for me to detect (I am 20/13, fwiw).

But overall, I'm generally pleased at this irrelevantly early stage. The big question now is: Silverstar or Da-lite High Power? And will either allow tolerable viewing with some light.

Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mark,

Congrats on the Z1.

I have my Z1 set up with the High Power and overall am very pleased (about 6.5' off the ground). This is my first screen (other than the white wall i was using before), but I did get the opportunity to view the Z1 with a few others like the HCCV, Stewarts and Kikuchi. I ended up with the HP because of the lack of waves and because it was able to deal with more ambient light. If it weren't for my set up I would have opted for a fixed HCCV screen, however with kids that wasn't an option (at least for me).

The HP does allow for some ambient light, but keep in mind the HP does have a limited viewing angle and their is definite drop off in gain once you are +15-20% off angle.

So to answer your question, it is probably one of the better options for set ups that require some light, but don't expect miracles with these amount of lumens.

Good luck.

BTW - if you don't already have, you may want to consider an HTPC with the Z1. I was all set to upgrade my projector and then I saw the Z1 with HTPC and was immediately sold. While its no HT1000, it was the best tweak I have done for the money (next to the HP!!). So for the next month or so I am satisfied:D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
That's the problem with projectors... they aren't really ambient light tolerant.

Although a lot of people (including myself) hope that a projector would do duty as a TV replacement, you will probably end up giving up that notion unless you watch TV in a light controlled dim room. That's why you see a lot of Home theater setups with a TV and a screen that pulls down in front of the TV for movie use.

Anyway, the fact that you are using a small screen size of 51" should work in your favor. A beige wall is not a very good surface, nor is a white wall. A screen should help your situation quite a bit.

But remember that the high gain screens focus light towards the center of the viewing area. So, don't expect good off-axis viewing with them.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Rear projection Tvs aren't good with ambient light either. Hell, direct views aren't good if you have the light in a position that it can reflect off the screen.

Basically, no display devices are good with light.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not expecting miracles under any circumstanes, I was just hoping to have at least some ambient light tolerance.

I am coming from a plasma, so anything would pale by comparison in terms of bright-room functionality. But I've also been an RPTV owner.

Anyway, I will get a screen and see what happens and it will be at least as high gain as the Da-lite, if not more. Messing around with the HTPC and other issues (I do have the HTPC) makes no sense until I can see what this thing can do.

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max: Yes, and that does help some. I am just surprised at how trivial it is for me to see it at 2 screen widths away. I am not yet sure it is bothersome enough to worry about, but really I need the screen before tweaking.

I have decided to get the High Power Model B and rip it apart and re-mount it. The SilverStar is just too much of a premium price.

Mark

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hmm. I have a Z1 on order. I was hoping the defocus would eliminate most of the screendoor at 1.5x distance. Dammit...it's either rainbows/eyestrain or screendoor. I can't win. :)

Well I guess I can always try CRT...just have to assume it will be the same size as a volkswagon beetle with the brightness of a 30 watt bulb. :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps if you are not 20/13 like me, you will be fine at 1.5x. Also, if you go bigger than I am, the effect may be mitigated. I doubt I could pick up pixels in a 10-foot screen width at 20-feet away. I am basically picking them up at 10-feet away on a 5-foot width.

I'm not at all sure it is linear with distance, you know?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
maxleung: I'm just projecting on a wall, and with a 7' horizontal image, I see no screendoor from 15' away (after defocusing). I am astigmatic, but I wear fitted contacts for near 20/20 vision. Trust me, you'll like this projector.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Mark,

Congrats on the Z1. Once you caliberate your Z1 its gonna please you at best.

As for screens I have an 96' x96' Da-Lite Glassbeaded screen and I am really ahppy with it. I could of done an DIY screen but from what people say that you can spend an easty 100.00.

So for me is was a win win situation so I got the Da-Lite (pull down) for 150.00 shipped.

Some people for some reason do not like the GB screen but to me I love it. There is no HOT SPOT like an RPTV. I think the Z1 and GB screen is a nice setup.

Playing PS2 or Xbox it the Z1 is awsome also ;)

Love LCD.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shift, glad you like the Glassbeaded. It looks like the price difference to the High Power is worth it to me (still paying

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have astigmatism too (no, my hands don't bleed! :D), wearing glasses. My corrected vision is probably nowhere near 20/20. But then again, I was able to spot screendoor on an AE100 at 2x distance. Hmmm. I must have mutant vision. :)

I hope I get my Z1 soon, to compare with my NEC LT240. I think my dealer is pissed that I returned an HT1000...I'm rainbow prone! Strangely, the rainbows on the LT240 aren't much different than the HT1000 I had...maybe the HT1000 was defective, or my eyes are so sensitive that they will all look the same to me. :D

rogo, you are probably right that a better screen may help. When I get my Z1, I will try a 20"x30" white foamboard from Staples, and compare it to my high-gain white wall, which is probably 1.4 gain.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't know much about the Z1. Am using a 106" Da-Lite HCMW screen with my HS-10 and it works great.

Since I got the projector, I hardly ever watch DVDs on the plasma anymore. Don't tell 'em over on the plasma forum OK?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't even got the plasma anymore. But I do have thousands to reserve for all my upgrades next year. :)

Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mark,

What happended with your plasma? I used to read quite a bit in plasma forum but lately I did not read much. I got a Z1 for about 7 days and loved the colors it produced. I did try at 2x the width and I still saw the screendoor. I wear glasses and am not 20/20. Only problem I have is I have to sit at 1x width so Z1 had to go.

Anyway, I tried the Z1 with Hipower screen and the pictures was very nice. I would say nothing would beat the price of the Z1 with the quality that it gives. If you can sit in the sweet spot, hipower is the way to go. Even you have to go off angle a bit, it is still very much acceptable.

Now I have HS10 with hipower and love it even more since I can sit at 1x. It just fits better with my room set up. If I could go 2.5x width, I would go with Z1.

Mac

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My plasma was never repaired by Pioneer and they ultimately agreed to buy it back.

I decided I'd buy another big flatscreen at some point, and in the meantime I'd play with projectors. I wasn't sure projectors were for me, but always figured a small, decent one would ultimately make a great bedroom TV for a few reasons.

So in the meantime, I got that small, decent projector for my living room to learn and play. I got the Z1 very suddenly, so I'm ill equipped for playing. And in two days this week, I've had no time during business hours to order my screen.

mark

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
Hmm. I have a Z1 on order. I was hoping the defocus would eliminate most of the screendoor at 1.5x distance. Dammit...it's either rainbows/eyestrain or screendoor. I can't win. :)

Well I guess I can always try CRT...just have to assume it will be the same size as a volkswagon beetle with the brightness of a 30 watt bulb. :)
Maxleung,

It's either rainbows (DLP) that you can see because somebody told you you can see them, or screendoor (LCD) because it's there and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's amazing how you can have 20 people over to watch a movie and nobody makes any rainbow complaints, just compliments for the incredible image. Either way, most people that are affected by rainbows get over them fast. The brain, it seems, is learning to process images differently. Maybe it raises one's IQ a point or two!

I can assure you that if you take a native from say, the amazon jungle, and take him to the movies for the first time in his life, he'll puke his guts out.

Most people that watch "analog" movies from infancy learn to process the movies early on because that's what infants do, learn everything from scratch. It's different when you get 30 y.o. people that can finally afford high end digital projection and they're stuck learning a new visual language. Like eveything else, some people learn faster than others.

It was said that people learn to see "through" the LCD screendoor effect by defocusing their sight and watching the image rather than the screen itself (except from you Tryg! :) )

anyway, just my 2 cents....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.