AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or are dark scenes in BluRay's tranfer too dark? It seems like most dark scenes have no details, for example, The Guardian, Black Hawk Down, Stealth, DeJa Vu. I have no problem with daylight scenes and they are gorgeous but when it comes to dark scene I can barly see anything. Esp, when the lighting hit from one side of the face, most movies I mentioned have this problem. Is it the tranfer?, the format?, I had Batman Begins on HD-DVD and did not have this problem.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman /forum/post/0

Is it me or are dark scenes in BluRay's tranfer too dark? It seems like most dark scenes have no details, for example, The Guardian, Black Hawk Down, Stealth, DeJa Vu. I have no problem with daylight scenes and they are gorgeous but when it comes to dark scene I can barly see anything. Esp, when the lighting hit from one side of the face, most movies I mentioned have this problem. Is it the tranfer?, the format?, I had Batman Begins on HD-DVD and did not have this problem.

Are you using a PS3 and suffering from the black crush issue I have read about? If so, search the forums for it, there is a fix out there with your HDMI settings.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot50Cal /forum/post/0

It cant be the format. It could be your player or the titles you choose.

Don't forget the displays.

I have seen 5 peoples TV's brand new 1080p, plasma/lcd's, and they are dark/grainy as hell.

Then on my display it kicks ass. but I paid over 6k for mine...

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner /forum/post/0

Are you using a PS3 and suffering from the black crush issue I have read about? If so, search the forums for it, there is a fix out there with your HDMI settings.

I ran a search on this and can't find anything on adjusting HDMI settings on the PS3 (Aside from choosing YCrCb instead of RGB). Could you post the link?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
have you calibrated your display??..If not, I suggest using ColorHCFR program that is in the calibrator forum (free software) and get a supported probe..My Mits3000U is calibrated to the max and I never feel the picture is to dark - if you know what your doing when calibrating you should be able to find a satisfactory picture..Ive watched 3 movies so far in BR, and none I have a single complaint about this

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I think it's a mix of both. Some movies do suffer from black crush but calibration is important as well. Id this something that you're only noticing with BR or do you see this with other sources as well?

·
23,044 Posts

Quote:

There's very little, if any BTB info on most discs. The PS3 does clip BTB and WTW but you'd be hard pressed to tell that except with test patterns. And it does not convert to PC levels like the Toshibas do connected to a DVI display.

Sounds like a display calibration problem and/or LCD "dark scene syndrome". The Descent looks incredible on BD and even using a PS3.

larry

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:

Yep it's PS3. Can you link the post about the black crush? I kind of suspect either PS3 or my Samsung 4095D. It's calibrated and I tried adjusting the brightness, it helps but it's makes bright scene too bright.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
have you calibrated using the PS3 as the source??

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo /forum/post/0

Don't forget the displays.

I have seen 5 peoples TV's brand new 1080p, plasma/lcd's, and they are dark/grainy as hell.

Then on my display it kicks ass. but I paid over 6k for mine...

And that marks the third time you've mentioned your "kick ass" display and how great it is in as many days.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman /forum/post/0

Any pics or specific times on titles to see if folks on here are having the same issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA /forum/post/0

Any pics or specific times on titles to see if folks on here are having the same issue.

Thanks

I'll try to post them later. They're mostly indoor scenes and it's the worst on Black Hawk Down because how the film looks is already oversaturated with colors and black crush make it worst.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Here I thought this was going to be a thread about Pink Floyd coming out with something on blu-ray.

My Sony BDP-S1 is bright enough on several of the titles you mention. Must be an issue with the player or display. It's not the format.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugpa /forum/post/0

Here I thought this was going to be a thread about Pink Floyd coming out with something on blu-ray.

My Sony BDP-S1 is bright enough on several of the titles you mention. Must be an issue with the player or display. It's not the format.

I kind of did too, I have been interested in dvd-a and sacd and was pretty excited.

But alas...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon /forum/post/0

And that marks the third time you've mentioned your "kick ass" display and how great it is in as many days.

I've said it more than that.

but it is true, my friend got a brand new regza, and tier 3 titles look crappy, but on mine they look sharp as ever.

Some people just don't have very good displays. and alot of things that people have problems with are due to that. *not the obvious problems..

What can I say, When I see people say. ahhh a tier 3 title booo, I guess I will cancel my pre-order.

then I get my copy of said film, watch it. and am amazed that it is so sharp.

I thank god I have a good display, an know that the tier list is a sham.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
No matter how many times you shove your good display down our throats not all recordings are created equally. As your display may make tier 3 movies look good tier 1 movies should look even better. And you should keep in mind that not everyone can afford lavish displays.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo /forum/post/0

have you calibrated using the PS3 as the source??

This is really a good idea considering that every source is different. Calibration should be first, if that doesn't work, blame the television

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo /forum/post/0

I've said it more than that.

but it is true, my friend got a brand new regza, and tier 3 titles look crappy, but on mine they look sharp as ever.

Some people just don't have very good displays. and alot of things that people have problems with are due to that. *not the obvious problems..

What can I say, When I see people say. ahhh a tier 3 title booo, I guess I will cancel my pre-order.

then I get my copy of said film, watch it. and am amazed that it is so sharp.

I thank god I have a good display, an know that the tier list is a sham.

You're starting to sound like Fett when he first got his new LCD and almost threw the Tier system out the window.

While I agree that a good, high-contrast display can make everything look better, it's absurd to even suggest that it can make everything look amazing. The phrase "crap in, crap out" comes to mind. There's no way you can watch something like 12 Monkeys or How the Grinch Stole Christmas and say it belongs in the same category as a Seabiscuit or a Riddick. It's just not possible.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.