AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thank you sir. Very interesting idea with the lift off hinges. I think I will order some and try it out and see if it would work for my situation. And thanks for the staple info.

I also want to say how outstanding your build is. I also like the look/style of your house...very unique from what I have seen. Are you located in the U.S.? Because initially I thought you were in maybe the UK when I saw the style of your house. Very nice.
Keep up the good work. Looks like you are heading down the home stretch now.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I also forgot to mention @nicco the staples I'm using are PUS12G - 1/2" long. So far I've used nearly a whole box of 10,000. Again, I highly recommend some gloves with a grippy rubber coating to help you pull the fabric tight.
Thanks, just ordered a box :). This and your post above: The Dawkness Theater is a list of some really good tips. Now I have to wait for my fabric to be delivered. Until then I just sit and polish my new Porter Cable upholstery stapler.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I'm doing my best to get some before and after tests in REW for y'all. I'm pretty new to REW and I don't have a good mic yet but this is the only opportunity I will have to put the "front wall Linacoustic sandwich" recipe to the test.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Son of a NUTCRACKER! I came up short. I've been bad at estimating materials lately. I'm short 54" by 10 feet of Linacoustic for the final layer. I checked around and my best option was a 25' roll from Fabricmate. The price per square foot is high but I'm spending almost $100 less to get a short roll from them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
I am so glad went with SeymourAV for my screen. Last night I started assembling my DIY screen and realized that my Center Stage XD fabric is too small! It was cut to the exact size of the image and not oversized for the screen frame.

I emailed Seymour and in less than an hour they tracked down the error, got a new screen sent to me and sent me a return label! This is after 5 months of me sitting on the fabric.

Amazing customer service!

That puts my current state waiting on more Linacoustic and on screen fabric. In the mean time I'll work on some other odds and ends.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Son of a NUTCRACKER! I came up short. I've been bad at estimating materials lately. I'm short 54" by 10 feet of Linacoustic for the final layer. I checked around and my best option was a 25' roll from Fabricmate. The price per square foot is high but I'm spending almost $100 less to get a short roll from them.

Where are you located as I have some Linacoustic leftover that I do not need. Are you interested?

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I've really enjoyed you build thread and have been subscribed for some time. Previously you mentioned that having the mobile scaffold was a huge benefit during your build. I have never used a scaffold, so I have a few questions:
  1. Do you think having a second unit so you could rig planking between them would have improved the utility, or would the added scaffold just be in the way too much?
  2. Was the scaffold stable enough in the standard configuration, or would you recommend outriggers or rigid legs for two of the corners for better stability?
  3. Do you have any other suggestions, recommended options, or helpful tips with regards to purchasing or using a scaffold for a theater build?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Good questions about the scaffolding. My room has 12' ceilings and I'm 6' tall. I can easily work on the ceiling with the scaffold set to the max height I feel comfortable with so no need to extend the height for this project.

Now, I do have a tall 2 story house so I could use another set for working at higher altitude around the house. If I did that, I would also get outriggers to make it more stable.

I got mine from Tractor Supply and from what I've seen it's just a Chinese-made light duty set that's commonly available at a lot of places. I looked at reviews online and the most common gripe was that people thought the plywood deck was too thin at 1/2 inch. I've never agreed with that though, seems fine to me and I wouldn't want the extra weight up there with a thicker deck.

The best part is that it breaks down and stores easily.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
My replacement 40 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice came in yesterday. The connector broke on one end. Monoprice replaced it no questions asked.

As you can see on the label, it goes to the front of the riser. It's just an aux input for doing things like REW.

I enlisted my wife again to help pull the new cable. It's always easier to pull cables with 2 people especially when there are already wires in the conduit.

It took us 2 tries and we lost one of those HDMI end caps inside the conduit but it's safely in place now.

I credit my past self with leaving a pull string in there. My future self might appreciate the same so I tied one to the new cable before pulling it. This particular conduit comes into a central spot under the 2nd row couch. This little spot is quite busy with conduit and cables.

Speaking of couches, we FINALLY moved the seats into the room! We ordered this furniture near the beginning of construction over a year ago. Those were optimistic times!

Unfortunately only 3 of 4 front row chairs fit. The steps are just a few inches too wide.

The recliners are West Elm Spencer and the couch is a West Elm Enzo sectional with power reclining seats. I currently have it disassembled to access the conduit.

Aside from one of the recliners not fitting, overall I'm happy with the layout. More space between the wall and couch would be nice but everything seems to work as far as being able to get around the room. There's also adequate room for the rear bar. It's tough for me at least working all this out on paper so it's nice to see it in real life.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
We watched the first movie in the theater! Choosing the perfect first film to watch is almost impossible. When my replacement screen material from Seymour AV came in yesterday afternoon, the first movie choice became clear. You see, it was my youngest kid's 6th birthday and she absolutely loves the most recent Grinch film. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, when it's her turn to pick, it's almost always this film.

It felt good to have the room in a state to watch something for her birthday. Her brother and sister (also her parents) were overjoyed to finally get to use the theater after officially starting construction in May 2019.

I know I deliberately broke the cardinal rule about hanging projectors before the room is complete, but let's be honest, the room will never be 100% complete if I'm the one working on it.

Picture quality and sound quality were excellent. 8 picked up the projector used from a forum member, it's a JVC RS-500U, and it came pre-calibrated. I am quite satisfied with the performance per dollar there. I have no regrets buying used VS getting a new NX-5 or NX-7.

The screen is a DIY Center Stage XD. I took the spline approach which turned out well but I do have some ripples to work out. I'm very pleased with the screen. I don't see any hint of weave in the front row. At about 8 or 9 feet I can see it.

Since I was just working towards getting it up there for our fist movie, I didn't worry about taking it back down to fix the ripples. My only gripe, and it's not something I've seen mentioned anywhere, is that the PVC material of the screen is off-gassing and producing a smell, but that will go away I'm sure.

On the audio side, all I've done is level-match the speakers. I, like many others have been affected by the supply shortages plaguing DIY Sound Group. I need some HT-8 speakers for the surrounds but they're out of stock. I did decide to try to roll my own Volt 8s for height speakers so I ordered some B-stock woofers, but that's taking some time.

I pulled out some speakers I bought way back in 2007. Two houses ago I had a full Athena speaker setup. I put my old AS-B1.1 and AS-R1.2 speakers to work. Last weekend I threw together some temporary stands for them. The final speakers will be mounted to the wall.

There's still a lot of work to do but my wife and I have mentioned to each other multiple times that we just can't believe we have a room like this in our house.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also have a JVC-RS500 that I bought from a forum member 3 years ago and I agree...the picture is stunning. I also have no problem hooking up the projector and enjoying the room in its current state. We work on the room for awhile and then clean it up and sit down and watch a movie. Enjoy the fruits of your labor to this point.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Here's some detail on my screen build. I went with the window screen spline approach. It's a 1x4 finger jointed pine frame. The box stores near me don't carry 5/4 FJP which I would have preferred but the 1x4 came out plenty strong.

This is a 2.07:1 screen, 72.5" high and 150" wide. Seymour Center Stage XD.

I cut everything to size and routed a channel for the aluminum screen track.

The screen track cuts easily on the miter saw with a carbide blade. I used my Freud router bit for under-sized plywood dadoes to cut a channel for the track. It fits nice and tight, no glue or fasteners,just gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet.

I joined the miters with dry 3/8" dowels. I want to be able to take it apart if needed. I built a doweling jig for this.

I had just enough room to install the dowels avoiding the channel.

I wrapped the frame with black velvet from SY Fabrics. I used leftover drywall corner bead spray adhesive. It seems to be the same as 3M Super 77 but with pink dye. I used it sparingly but it probably would have been better to really hit the edges because I did end up with some wrinkles.

Finish with lots of staples and trim the corners with a sharp knife.

The corners are actually held together with 8" corner brackets. In the store I grabbed a small one first and then noticed a bigger size, and then a bigger size. This one seems to be sufficient.

Installed the French cleats. These things are pricey but work really well. The giant screen is awkward enough to handle but the cleats lock in positively.

A laser level helps here and made for a cool shot of my fabric panels, one of which served as a convenient mount for the level.

Then I pulled vacuumed the floor really well, laid down a big sheet, vacuumed the sheet and pulled the frame down for installing the fabric.

Sticking with the theme of cleanliness, I donned some white gloves from my film developing days and unrolled the fabric which fit this time!

The spline goes in relatively easily. Use one end of the tool to wedge the fabric in and the other to roll in the spline.

I started at one corner and worked my way to the opposite corner. I ended up with some ripples in the area where I started. I haven't noticed them with content playing but at some point I'll try to smooth them out, probably when I take the screen down to install subs.

241 - 260 of 287 Posts