AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
A box of goodies came from Parts Express today! Lacing bars, yet more Neutrik connectors for speaker wires in addition to crossover parts and a compression driver for my "Franken volt 8" speakers. It's the LAST Celestion CDX1-1446 that they had. I already have a bunch of Volt 8 b-stock drivers from DIYSG. My plan is to build and test one complete speaker this weekend.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
My plans didn't pan out this weekend. I did manage to rough cut all of the panels for my front subs. That was 7 sheets of nice Baltic birch plywood.

My newish Shop Fox track saw made it go easy. It's not the best saw out there but it makes breaking down plywood so much easier and more accurate than a circular saw and guide.

Then I jumped over to the table saw to finish up those panels and to cut panels for my height speaker prototype. The saw ran for a few seconds and quit.

At first I thought it was my new iVac switch but after much investigation I came across this 2 outlets upstream in the garage circuit.

It was like this on both the neutral and hot! I can't believe I'm just now finding this almost 6 years after the house was built. I got that fixed up last night so hopefully I can steal away some time today to catch up.

In all honesty though I enjoyed some time away from theater tasks. My middle kid's birthday is today, a week after her little sister's. Yesterday we watched Ralph Breaks the Internet in the theater and they rode around on their new electric scooters trying to keep up with big brother.

For anyone in the market for electric scooters this Christmas, I highly recommend Gotrax.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice work on the screen.

That's some really nice Baltic Birch. All I ever see these days is the AWFUL 7 layer veneer core "baltic birch" that HD/Lowe's sells. Where the top face is so thin it will just peel off after you cut it. Just worthless stuff. That's proper plywood.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Nice work on the screen.

That's some really nice Baltic Birch. All I ever see these days is the AWFUL 7 layer veneer core "baltic birch" that HD/Lowe's sells. Where the top face is so thin it will just peel off after you cut it. Just worthless stuff. That's proper plywood.
It is quite nice plywood. I'll probably break my back moving them into place it's so heavy. There's one local place that carries it. $32 for a sheet of 5x5 3/4.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It is quite nice plywood. I'll probably break my back moving them into place it's so heavy. There's one local place that carries it. $32 for a sheet of 5x5 3/4.
That's a pretty good price. I need to look at some supply houses around me for that kind of price. The quality of even MDF is so much higher from a legit supplier than the big box stores...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Then I jumped over to the table saw to finish up those panels and to cut panels for my height speaker prototype. The saw ran for a few seconds and quit.

At first I thought it was my new iVac switch but after much investigation I came across this 2 outlets upstream in the garage circuit.

It was like this on both the neutral and hot! I can't believe I'm just now finding this almost 6 years after the house was built. I got that fixed up last night so hopefully I can steal away some time today to catch up.
Can I assume that it was because the insulation is not striped back enough and not making good contact around the screw?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Well...now that you brought it up...where are you on this build? Let's see some pics and some updates...:)
OK, you twist my arm, here goes a quick update.

Front subwoofers are in. What an ordeal that was. They took forever to build and at 150 pounds and 5 feet tall, they were beasts to move into place.

I've made some room measurements with REW since getting my UMIK-1. I definitely need some bass traps and to finally bite the bullet and get a MiniDSP. It was nice to hit 113db at 40hz though.

I haven't done much else on the room. We've just been enjoying watching movies in it.

Next, I'm turning my attention to Atmos height speakers and acoustic treatments.
I still have a nasty slap echo so absorbers on the ceiling and back wall are what I'll do first.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
I'm disappointed that my first update in a few months is bad news. We had a water event in the theater yesterday. Almost 6 inches of rain fell yesterday - what we call down south a "gulley washer". Local fire and rescue performed 40 water rescues.

There was about 2 inches of water in the room when the termite inspector pointed it out to me.

Pumping it all out required cutting a hole in the floor of the micro-lobby to drop the pump in the low point of the slab. Fortunately the carpet tiles were easy to remove. My wife came through again and we cleared it out in about 30 minutes.

So now it's drying out with fans and the mini-split running.

I found at least one source of the water - it's coming in between 2 cinder blocks of the foundation wall of the existing house. So I guess it's coming from the ground.

This is certainly a hassle but I'm counting my blessings. It'll all get fixed. I'm fortunate to not have been caught out in the flash flooding.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Bummer man but yeah it could have been worse, glad everyone is safe and that this is recoverable.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Really sorry to hear about that Weavinator. Glad you were able to get to it relatively quickly and that everyone is safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So sorry to hear and see your new room has water damage. Hope you are getting it resolved. You have such a nice space you are working on, what a shame to have that happen. Keep positive and give us an update.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Thanks @nicco.

This weekend we put the carpet back in. It was quite the puzzle. I only took a couple of pictures when I originally removed it but they proved invaluable to getting it all put back together.

I have a water leak sensor in place now too.

Now I just need to cut out a proper access panel in the floor of the lobby, and my contractor needs to come out and do some waterproofing where we think it's coming in.

It seems like we haven't had a rain-free day in many weeks but we haven't had the same kind of heavy flooding event since this all started.

The theater is usable again. The kids watched Harry Potter yesterday and with summer break here, they're bound to watch many more.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Sorry to hear about flood damage. I had a modest home theater/computer assembly & benchmarking room next to my basement office. It flooded at least 3 times while we lived there (brand new construction). Insurance and my builder/subcontractor paid for damages.

Honestly for the rest of the time there every time it rained at night we went down to check. Whenever I felt the first squish of water in my socks I would panic.

We finally got it figured out. from sprinkler contractor changing the grade to home builder installing basement egress windows incorrectly (always the point of entry) - our flooding was always due to these faults, a high water table and saturated ground.

Keep up the good work glad you caught much of it in time.

261 - 280 of 287 Posts