AVS Forum banner

281 - 287 of 287 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry you had to deal with the water issue. One of my sump pumps is about 14' from my unfinished theater and I have worried if the power went out for days about flooding in the basement. We lost power one time for about 6 hours and the water got to about 6" from going over. I have a sensor in place as well now. I almost burned up my pump this winter when the outside piping we have in the ground froze. I could hear the pump in my kitchen try to pump. I turned it off until I could thaw the pipe and put on a bypass I use in the winter. I got lucky since the ground was frozen and not much coming in. Do you have some kind of back up if the main pump goes out or you lose power? We don't lose power a lot, but it is something I think about.

Glad you are getting back to normal now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Things are back to normal. Humidity levels are down in the theater now.

I've never dealt with sump pumps, etc because here in the south basements are a rarity. I hope it doesn't come to needing a permanent pump. I have considered getting a generator backup. If I do that, I'll ensure the pump is on one of the circuits.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Yeah, I've seen the battery backup pumps too but thought since it would rarely be used, I question the longevity of the battery.

Anyway, it may not even come to needing a pump if we can seal up the leak.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the battery backup pumps too but thought since it would rarely be used, I question the longevity of the battery.....
Agreed. I had the same concerns. I realized that a more likely scenario was a failure of some kind leading to rising water levels that were undetected. Therefore, in my old home with a sump pump, I installed a high water alarm to alert me before damage had occurred.

Mike

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
My sump has the battery backup and it’s battery is just a standard automotive lead acid 12V battery that is trickle charged from the supply. It then has an inverter that will draw from the battery if the main power goes out. I would imagine it should last several years and not be too expensive to replace the battery. I’ve only had it 18 months though, so I’ll let you know in a few years. It came with the house, so I have no idea how expensive it is. Also looking at the display, I’ve only lost power 6 times in 18 months and I’d venture to guess one or two of those were me flipping breakers to rewire stuff

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

281 - 287 of 287 Posts