AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I made a post a few weeks ago regarding my disappointment with a Sharp Aquos 32" (LC32D4OU). Aside from a better selection of inputs, I was overall pretty disappointed with the set, so I opted to trade it for a Samsung LNS3251D, and what a difference that made! The awful picture on the Sharp (of which I had exchanged once to make sure it wasn't just the set) was replaced by a rich, vibrant picture that looked markedly better in almost every regard. As I mentioned, the only plus that the Sharp had over the Samsung was an extra component input.

All is not well, however. I noticed last night that my pretty new Samsung has a stuck pixel on the left corner of the screen. I can't tell if it's dead or not, as it only shows up prominently on a white background (the title screen for Lost Planet on the 360). It appears to be red when it's on a white backdrop, but it looks black when it's on a darker one.

I'm really struggling with whether or not I should return this one and exchange it for the same model. For starters, both the Sharps I got had stuck pixels, and with this one, that makes it three for three. Is it possible that it's just an inherent problem with LCD displays and that I'm being too picky? I mean, I just spent fourteen hundred dollars on this set, and I want it to be perfect, but I also don't want to be unreasonable from an expectation standpoint.

I'm wondering if someone can tell me just how widespread the problem is, and whether I have a good chance of going through all this trouble to just end up with another dead pixel (or pixels), possibly in a more visible spot.

I've heard that occasionally, stuck pixels will right themselves, and that rubbing the screen gently may make it go away, but it also might make more pixel problems. The last thing I want is to go and get another TV and wish that I had simply kept what I had (for example the first Sharp only had one, but the exchange had two).

Any advice? I'm really struggling with this right now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS /forum/post/0

Nature of the beast. With 6+ million transistors, one is bound to be trouble. Retailers are allowing returns in some cases but on a full screen of video, can you really see it?

I see your point, but if I'm forking over $3K for a TV set, it had better be PERFECT...ZERO dead pixels.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude /forum/post/0

I see your point, but if I'm forking over $3K for a TV set, it had better be PERFECT...ZERO dead pixels.

I understand where you're comming from. But if everyone held the position that every panel had to be perfect then flat panel displays would be priced out of reach of the vast majority of consumers due to reduced yields.

--Jerome

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you are posting about it then chances are that it will continue to bother you and so you should do an exchange while you still can. In my experience it's a 50/50 gamble that you will get a tv w/o dead or stuck pixels. I tried the various methods for fixing pixels but never got good results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.