AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this is a violation but I wanted to order the ed panny from Dell, and have not even gotten them to price match other on line orders. I did get a decent price from them. If you got a good deal from them on this plasma, please pm me the price and quote # or other ordering info if you have it. Thanks ahead.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I assume you are considering a 42" plasma. I bought a 37" unit from Dell several months ago. In general, if you watch their prices like a hawk and buy during a sale w/ a stackable coupon, you can usually get them down to nearly 20% off their regular catalog price, with free shipping. Dell claims this is close to their cost, and I have not heard of anyone getting a significantly better deal from them, via price matching or any other way.

And, as mentioned above, it sometimes pays to try several sales reps, and to check both the Home and Small Business Divisions, although you will usually be stuck with sales tax if you buy through SB.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I called like 6 times. It took 7 calls when I ordered my 433cmx to get it at an even 4k for the card and shiping to my house.

I called because ont he front of their new catalog it says 10% off of plasmas, and the reps I spoke with today said they will be haulting the stackable coupons. I will have to try it again =). Was hoping for a quite # to save me some trouble.

-Chris

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
I recently got a 15% coupon via e-mail. Perhaps you could at least try real hard for that, stating you know that the small biz list recently got e-mailed a 15% off anything.

Mark

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, thanks Mark, I will give it a try. Stir up a bit of dust with these reps =). I feel like I am talking to my dog when I call dell, I just dont get anywhere.

-Chris

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn't buy my 503 from Dell, I felt if I had to wait for a coupon, haggle for more than half an hour with more than two reps and then wait over a week for delivery...it's just wasn't worth the hassle. It literally took me less than 5 min to order from 1800plasmas (do a search, you'll see other people were happy with them) and 3 business days to ship. I also suggest you check out plasmaextreme and tvauthority. The service from these three just can't be beat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For my two cents, if you're talking about the 42" ED Panny, you can't do any better than Visual Apex (.com). Fast, helpful, the lowest price I saw anywhere, and they even threw in a box of chocolates.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Life with Mike's Computer Co. (tm) is like a box of chocolates:

"You never know what you're gonna get."

Gump

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looking at all of these Panasonic model numbers, I just can't figure out which is which.

I've seen the TH-42PHD5UY listed for ~$5,000 @ 1024x768 res.

I've seen the TH-42PWD5UY listed for ~$4,000 @ 852x480 res.

and on the Dell site...

I've seen the TH-42PHD5U listed for >$5,000 @ 852x480 res.

What am I missing here? I'm pretty confused. I like the Panasonic products, and I've heard good things, but I'm not sure what to get. And what's the "ED" model? I assume that refers to something like TH-42PED5UY??? I haven't seen that model number.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is a little confusing. On Dell's site it lists the TH-42PHD5U as 1024X768. I think you misread it.

The TH-42PWD5UY is a very popular panny 42" ED or Enhanced Definition which simply means Standard Definition. Search for member R Harkness for all you want to know about it. And/or look at the brand specific FAQs.

The TH-42PHD5UY is the High Definition 42" panny. The other model you listed above must be the same as this?

Anyway the prices on the 50" panny just dropped a few days ago by over 15%. And the 42" models have been coming down gradually as well. It might be due to the fact that the newer panny models with purported HDCP compliance are set to come out in Sept. Or it may just be that prices on flat panels are falling fast in general.

BTW, A popular competitor of the 42" panny is the 43" pioneer PDP-433CMX.

-- Jeff

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Quote:
I assume that refers to something like TH-42PED5UY??? I haven't seen that model number
There's no such model.

See Panasonic Models chart here at the FAQ:
http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/#panamodel

And where at the Dell site did you see TH-42PHD5UY listed @ 852x480 res. ???

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh, well here's a good reason why I was confused. On the summary of that product at Dell, it does in fact say 1024x768, but when you click on the "Tech Specs" tab at the top it says that the resolution is 852x480. link to tech specs

Oh, and I had read the FAQ entry on the Panny model numbers. It just didn't mention which one was the "ED" model that everyone kept mentioning.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wmwilson01
Oh, well here's a good reason why I was confused. On the summary of that product at Dell, it does in fact say 1024x768, but when you click on the "Tech Specs" tab at the top it says that the resolution is 852x480. link to tech specs
Oh well, unfortunately there's a lot of mistakes just like that all over the net.

Quote:
Oh, and I had read the FAQ entry on the Panny model numbers. It just didn't mention which one was the "ED" model that everyone kept mentioning.

wmwilson01,

Just to simplify, we used to call SD (Standart definition) the Non-HD Displays

TH-42PWD5UY Industrial and TH-42PW5UZ Consumer (Part of PT-42PD3-P package).

BUT, since they are really EDTV capable ( Definitions here ) AND to avoid more confusing

the term SD is not used anymore (At least we try not to).

EDIT: The FAQ's will be updated on that info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.