AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I gather from enough posts now that some of you guys are seriously dissapointed with my 'XBOX name defense' and I'm sure it's has cost me points in the credibilty department.

Understand first that I was not dissapointed, shocked, or hurt by the announcement of the core system. Why? It was speculated for months. Heck, there was so much speculation who knew what to think.


But more than that, until I saw the press release I had no idea that a statement was made that 'every' system was to have a hard drive and wireless controller. Sure, I heard the rumors of wireless out of the box and that there would be a hard drive but I still waited to see what a final package would look like.


So last week when the two packages were announced I didn't think much of it until I read some boards and people sounded furious. For me, I didn't really get what the anger was. Here you actually have more choice, more options, and a unit where you really could get a lower price if you were on a budget.


Here to, is a company that seemingly listens to their consumers about controllers, price points, gameplay etc. So when you see people flipping out what is a person to think?

The only thing I could boil it down to is a money issue. Obviously concerns are larger than that because there is the issue of functionality and standards. I am actually right there with you guys in that concern but I don't really know what the impact will be on games. I think they can develop fine without it or in lieu of it.


Ultimately *I* know what package I am getting, what I wanted, and I am happy.


I *DO* believe that the whole purpose of console games is simplicity. PC gaming can be complicated but consoles need to be understood by people from 5-105 and that is what MS also needs to take into account.


On and around launch day people are going to have questions. The fact that Backwards compatibility is not possible with the core unit or that High def cables are not in the box for a system that was supposed to bring us into the high def age does run a bit counter to what was hinted at.


We don't want another Circuit City Divx system that has to be explained to already skeptical consumers. ( I owned a Divx player if that tells you how easy going I am :D)


But we have reality to deal with too. I don't think MS could deliver that system at that price so they threw more into the box.


But the whole point really to this thread is to acknowledge the concerns others have. I'm not using green colored MS glasses, I'm not a schill for MS or an outright fanboy but I am partial to the current Xbox. I have however pushed the boundaries of the name debate and acknowledge there was hair splitting. I do tend to stick solidly to my guns when I choose the side of a debate as has been said.

I don't think I am wrong but I am by no means saying any of you are wrong for not expecting 'every' Xbox to come with the features you expected. My semantically angled debate was not meant to mean you guys were necessarily wrong.


Edit. As suggested, I retitled the thread
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
bottom line.. Allard said the xbox360 would be around $300 and the press release said every xbox360 would include a HDD and wireless controller.


It makes sense that many people are upset over one or the other or both.


I'm willing to bet MS advertises the xbox360 to be available at the $299 price point as well. I do not believe they will advertise it is a stripped version for $299.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
You should retitle this thread. It should say a gamers manifesto. Honestly I don't think you have to explain yourself. Your opinions are yours. If someone doesn't like them so what. There are others here that put their foot in their mouth everytime they post.


You haven't lost any credibility in my opinion. People who post threads bashing another system have lost theirs. They intentionally incite flame wars.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
bottom line.. Allard said the xbox360 would be around $300 and the press release said every xbox360 would include a HDD and wireless controller.


It makes sense that many people are upset over one or the other or both.


I'm willing to bet MS advertises the xbox360 to be available at the $299 price point as well. I do not believe they will advertise it is a stripped version for $299.
Well there's another one. I don't really remember the price being quoted. I think there were hints given but not anything concrete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveCrazy Joe
You should retitle this thread. It should say a gamers manifesto. Honestly I don't think you have to explain yourself. Your opinions are yours. If someone doesn't like them so what. There are others here that put their foot in their mouth everytime they post.


You haven't lost any credibility in my opinion. People who post threads bashing another system have lost theirs. They intentionally incite flame wars.


I couldn't have said it better myself. Having common sense does not require an explanation.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
I couldn't have said it better myself. Having common sense does not require an explanation.
exactly, great posts..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Well there's another one. I don't really remember the price being quoted. I think there were hints given but not anything concrete.
Sorry Dean, I don't feel like searching (i've done enough leg work in the past backing up quotes, I have no reason to make it up) for the source but Allard did at one point say around $300. Yes, we all know specs, pricing, etc are subject to change, doesn't change the fact that consumers maybe unhappy about it..


my point was the two pieces of information go hand in hand, if you are saying the name technically meant the premium package then the matter of fact his statement of around $300 is way off and misleading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
MS said they were including wireless controllers, high definition cables, and a HD with every Xbox 360. They said they were shooting for $300. I would like to pay $300 for the premium package and if that's all the money I had, I would be upset (actually, it is, but there's always credit :))


That being said, I don't blame them for trying to not lose their asses this time around. It's a hell of deal for $400, especially when it comes with the headset and remote too, and I didn't expect them to come with it. Can't wait for my Xbox 360 and PGR3!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,357 Posts
I sort of wish they weren't being cheap and giving a stripped down remote with the premium bundle. Doubt I'll use it, but seems like they could have just put the standard universal remote in the box.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
MS said they were including wireless controllers, high definition cables, and a HD with every Xbox 360. They said they were shooting for $300. I would like to pay $300 for the premium package and if that's all the money I had, I would be upset (actually, it is, but there's always credit :))


That being said, I don't blame them for trying to not lose their asses this time around. It's a hell of deal for $400, especially when it comes with the headset and remote too, and I didn't expect them to come with it. Can't wait for my Xbox 360 and PGR3!
exactly... It is still a hell of deal. It's just that they got peoples hopes up with telling letting them believe it would be an even better deal..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Dean: never meant to insult you, for that I apologize as well. Like I said, I could not (and i a way still can't understand) why you tried to justify what MS did to those length. To me your posts stood out because I consider you rational and honest
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
Dean: never meant to insult you, for that I apologize as well. Like I said, I could not (and i a way still can't understand) why you tried to justify what MS did to those length. To me your posts stood out because I consider you rational and honest
same here, just doesn't make sense.. One way or another MS was being misleading, which makes me wonder why somebody would go to to such lengths to defend them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
The only price MS stated that I can find was "Around the price" of the original XBox at release.


I am sure someone can argue that $400 is not around $300 but it certainly seems that way to me. Sure $200 would be around $300 as well, but that was just not going to happen :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
I don't see a 33% increase in price as being around..


If I ask a realtor to find me a $600,000 home and she shows me a $800,000.00 saying it is around what I asked for I would fire his/her ass. but that is just how I see it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Sorry Dean, I don't feel like searching (i've done enough leg work in the past backing up quotes, I have no reason to make it up) for the source but Allard did at one point say around $300. Yes, we all know specs, pricing, etc are subject to change, doesn't change the fact that consumers maybe unhappy about it..


my point was the two pieces of information go hand in hand, if you are saying the name technically meant the premium package then the matter of fact his statement of around $300 is way off and misleading.
It's not an issue of not believing you, I'm only saying that I never read that as quoted fact. There was no official price announcement until last week, to my knowledge. As far as I am concerned, everything else was in a context of rumor and speculation. With the exception of that press release that said every 360 would have ______. Nothing was official.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
I don't see a 33% increase in price as being around..


If I ask a realtor to find me a $600,000 home and she shows me a $800,000.00 saying it is around what I asked for I would fire his/her ass. but that is just how I see it.
Thats your opinion of course. I am fairly sure however if you did ask a realtor to find you a home around 600K they would indeed show you one at 800K and try to sell you on the features that make the home worth 800K.


I know for a FACT that when you go to a Jaguar dealership and look at a 40K car they also show you the 60K model. (Well they do as of two weeks ago).


I can of course see your desire to deal in % not the amount. I cannot argue with you of course as you have spent days arguing your point and nothing will sway you from it now.


You feel abused, insulted and hurt by MS. We get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Dean's exactly right Brian, nothing until now was official, just speculation, even if coming out of Allard's mouth. Whether Allard was trying not to tip his hand to Sony (in regards to price), or even it was assumed initially to be $300-350 doesn't make any difference at all. IT WASN'T OFFICIAL!!


I could rant and rave in regards to speculative info all day long (and admittedly have done so), but after it's official, there's no point to compare to past information when isn't confirmed.


The real problem for manufactures is the popularity of message boards like this one. If Bill Gates farts in the R&D office of Microsoft, within minutes we know if it was silent or not. Because of this, we get to experience every "hurt feeling of a consumer" whenever someone reads a new thread as religion, even though most of the time people on these boards don't know what the hell they're talking about (including myself).


Development of these systems is fluid, like it’s always been. Specs change, prices change and timeframes change, just like in the real world of every business product. There's no point to harp on, "The promised us!!!" until something's official.


The bottom line is that maybe you should move on and live in the present. Who cares if you think you heard they would promise us a free biscuit with every 360 purchase at around $300.


Jasman
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
of course nothing was official, but people take Press Releases seriously even if subject to change. Allard being a high-ranking official of MS , he is also taken seriously just as Sony Execs saying the PS3 is going to be expensive.. Like I've stated several times, I'm not upset but it is easy for me to see why many are. IMO the $399 package is a good value.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
I think we can get over the hard drive part now, were starting to get a bit too obsessed on the topic don't you think?


Let's get more into the games, since that's what's important don't you think?


That elder scrolls and especially Cameo if that's how you spell it are looking very impressive!


I myself am looking foward to gears of war, that looks pretty hot given the preview clips i've seen...
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top