AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2006 I built my first surround sound system, and I got laid off.

I was collecting unemployment and had tons of free time. I signed up for Hollywood Video's MVP program and I rented between 70 and 90 dvds in the first month for just 20 bucks. Now it's 2009 and I have a really nice Pioneer Kuro Elite, SVS Sub, 7.2 LOSSLESS Surround Sound Reciever, etc. I'm using Blockbuster's Bluray Rental Service, and I think they're INTENTIONALLY THROTTLING my account and delaying my shipments for days to make sure that I don't get too many rentals. There are no video rental stores within 8 miles of my house, a decade ago there were 3 within 1 mile of my house.

People should fight against the urge to go with an online rental service because they'll throttle the hell out of you. With a video store, you get EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You know the selection and the number of rentals you can get even before you sign the contract. With online services, the contact is often a BOLD FACED LIE by the online rental service.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/16976136

I've experienced nothing of the sort with Netflix and I pretty much continuously get and return things to them any time I have free time to watch a movie

That's odd because millions of people have experienced exactly that from netflix.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11262292/

Frequent Netflix renters sent to back of the line

The more you use, the slower the service, some customers realize

Netflix customer Manuel Vallanueva realizes he has been getting a pretty good deal since he signed up for the online DVD rental service 2 years ago, but he still feels shortchanged.

Carlos Osorio / AP

LIVE QUOTE

NAME LAST CHANGE % CHANGE

Netflix Inc 45.51 +0.51 +1.13%

QUOTE LOOKUP

Enter Company Symbol Lookup symbol

Data: MSN Money and IDC Comstock delayed 20 min.

Most popular

Most viewed Top rated Most e-mailed

Kate: I'm still wearing wedding ring for my kids

A Gosselin family photo album

Man wins big in lottery for second time in 1 year

47 spend nightmare' 9 hours in grounded plane

Immigration fix to wait, Obama says at summit

Most viewed on msnbc.com

Man convicted of rape freed after DNA tests

Ohio bus driver was on phone when man killed

Britain's final WWI veteran honored at funeral

Video helps clear convict of abuse after 21 years

Arrests of corrupt U.S. border police rise

Most viewed on msnbc.com

Man wins big in lottery for second time in 1 year

How to improve sound, picture on your HDTV

Dead' baby wakes up for his funeral wake

47 spend nightmare' 9 hours in grounded plane

Campaign cash: Unions big givers in 2009

Most viewed on msnbc.com

More from The Big Money

Getting Past the Rage Stage

Buy GM Now on eBay

Getting PaidThe Extreme Version

Sam's Club for Latinos?

Pentagon Spooks Watch Your YouTube Videos

(external links)

News tools

Top business news (about 4 alerts per day)

Click here to sign up or text BIZ to MSNBC (67622).

Find more alerts at alerts.msnbc.com

updated 3:37 p.m. ET, Fri., Feb. 10, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO - Manuel Villanueva realizes he has been getting a pretty good deal since he signed up for Netflix Inc.'s online DVD rental service 2 1/2 years ago, but he still feels shortchanged.

That's because the $17.99 monthly fee that he pays to rent up to three DVDs at a time would amount to an even bigger bargain if the company didn't penalize him for returning his movies so quickly.

Netflix typically sends about 13 movies per month to Villanueva's home in Warren, Mich. down from the 18 to 22 DVDs he once received before the company's automated system identified him as a heavy renter and began delaying his shipments to protect its profits.

Story continues below ↓

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

advertisement | your ad here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same Netflix formula also shoves Villanueva to the back of the line for the most-wanted DVDs, so the service can send those popular flicks to new subscribers and infrequent renters.

The little-known practice, called "throttling" by critics, means Netflix customers who pay the same price for the same service are often treated differently, depending on their rental patterns.

"I wouldn't have a problem with it if they didn't advertise `unlimited rentals,'" Villanueva said. "The fact is that they go out of their way to make sure you don't go over whatever secret limit they have set up for your account."

Los Gatos, Calif.-based Netflix didn't publicly acknowledge it differentiates among customers until revising its "terms of use" in January 2005 four months after a San Francisco subscriber filed a class-action lawsuit alleging that the company had deceptively promised one-day delivery of most DVDs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
And in the past stores has issues keeping titles in stock.

Personally I don't miss stores at all since they all became worthless chains complete with clueless employees and high prices to cover their paychecks. Rather have systems like Redbox or Netflix.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/16976119

In 2006 I built my first surround sound system, and I got laid off.

I was collecting unemployment and had tons of free time. I signed up for Hollywood Video's MVP program and I rented between 70 and 90 dvds in the first month for just 20 bucks. Now it's 2009 and I have a really nice Pioneer Kuro Elite, SVS Sub, 7.2 LOSSLESS Surround Sound Reciever, etc. I'm using Blockbuster's Bluray Rental Service, and I think they're INTENTIONALLY THROTTLING my account and delaying my shipments for days to make sure that I don't get too many rentals. There are no video rental stores within 8 miles of my house, a decade ago there were 3 within 1 mile of my house.

People should fight against the urge to go with an online rental service because they'll throttle the hell out of you. With a video store, you get EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You know the selection and the number of rentals you can get even before you sign the contract. With online services, the contact is often a BOLD FACED LIE by the online rental service.

Can't begin to tally the number of times I went to the video store only to find titles out. Most likely under the counter, reserved for others.

Sure online can be the same way with new releases but at least I know beforehand they are out and w/ 100,000 titles I can find plenty to rent.

I get my monies worth.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
That Netflix story is 3 1/2 years old, there was a lawsuit, and I haven't experienced throttling since - I regularly mail back and get my next movie two days later. In fact, when a movie has been at the top of my queue but shipped from a more distant source that might take an extra day to ship, Netflix has sent me that movie AND the next one in my queue. Netflix has also started sending movies out on Saturdays, something they didn't do previously.

Streaming has also been a great boon that no local store can match.

I do feel bad for the mom and pop stores getting squeezed out, generally by Blockbuster first, but Netflix has been a far better deal for me than the $2+ rentals. (no deal like the one you got anywhere near here, ever)

·
23,032 Posts
If you want to talk in this thread about video stores going away, that's fine. But NF and BB online rental discussion belongs in the sticky at the top. Thanks.

larry

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, I have a BB and Hollywood across the street from each other both about 2 min from my house. I think there is a certain appeal to going to a video store and browsing the walls for something to take home and watch. The kids get to pick something and so do mom and dad, it's just nostalgic to me and I'm sad to see them struggle.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
My home town hasn't had a mom and pop vid store in ten years. The surrounding towns the same. I live part time in NC and all they have Blockbuster. Nothing else in the area. NOTHING.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
There is a mom and pop store "close" [4 miles one way] to my house, but it charges 4 bucks for a movie. I haven't been there in 2 years, so I'm not sure if they embraced BD yet, which was one of the reasons I went online. And yes Netflix does throttle[at least on NRs] in 2009 no doubt about it but their prices still below $2 per disc based on the volume I'm able to rent/month.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I agree completely with the OP. I miss having to drive out of my way to pay $4 for a one night rental that was due back at 6PM the next day or I'd get nailed with a late fee. And being limited to whatever they happened to deem was worthy to keep in stock. And having to stand in line behind people to get checked out. And having to carry around a membership card.

Oh wait, that all sucked hard. Walking to my mailbox is a bit more convenient. By a "bit more" I mean approximately 10,000% more convenient. And that doesn't even take into account online queue management (soon as I see a commercial or hear about a movie, it takes 5 seconds to add it to my queue....I don't have to carry around a big list of movies on paper to the video store). Or being able to watch movies online (thank you Netflix).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/16977779

I agree completely with the OP. I miss having to drive out of my way to pay $4 for a one night rental that was due back at 6PM the next day or I'd get nailed with a late fee. And being limited to whatever they happened to deem was worthy to keep in stock. And having to stand in line behind people to get checked out. And having to carry around a membership card.

Oh wait, that all sucked hard. Walking to my mailbox is a bit more convenient. By a "bit more" I mean approximately 10,000% more convenient. And that doesn't even take into account online queue management (soon as I see a commercial or hear about a movie, it takes 5 seconds to add it to my queue....I don't have to carry around a big list of movies on paper to the video store). Or being able to watch movies online (thank you Netflix).

I guess nobody else had the MVP plan where you could get up to 3 movies a day for $20 a month. I could rent as many movies a month as I can with an online service in a year.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/16978041

I guess nobody else had the MVP plan where you could get up to 3 movies a day for $20 a month. I could rent as many movies a month as I can with an online service in a year.

I had the MVP membership at Hollywood Video but it was not limited to 3 movies a day, you could check out as many movies as you wanted to in one day, including new releases, but only 3 at a time. There were a couple of times I watched 6 or more movies in one day.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Hollywood is now on a point system. Diamond or Platinum (can't remember which is which) membership gives you unlimited movies, but it's $40/mo. The next tier down, either Plat or Diamond is $25/mo, but it's limits you to 25 points, NR DVDs are 3pts and BDs are 4pts. This really put a crimp in my style so I signed up with NF and for $21 I get all the BDs or DVDs I want, 3 at a time. There is a wait for NR and they don't advertise them, but it's easy to find the latest rentals available on other sites and add them to your queue.

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/16978041

That's an excellent deal. Depending on the stock of the store I might consider going back to a B&M for something like that.

larry

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/16976136

I've experienced nothing of the sort with Netflix and I pretty much continuously get and return things to them any time I have free time to watch a movie

My experience too.

I have a 5-at-a-time account and am very pleased with the service.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
I'm too impulsive to go the netflix route. I may feel like watching a certain movie tonight...but not tomorrow. I may want to see a different one then. So the ordering and waiting thing doesn't appeal to me. I end up buying a lot of movies.

Luckily in my city, not far from me, there are some truly excellent video stores run by enthusiasts. The type where they've dug up every little treasure available and you walk in thinking "I'd love to see THAT movie...and THAT movie...and wait...THAT one...how to decide?"

Whereas I can walk into a Blockbuster and stand there looking at rows of crap movies, finding myself wondering "I hope I can find SOMETHING I like to rent here."

1 - 20 of 57 Posts