AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1672 of 1672 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Does anyone have tips on how to acquire a Grafik Eye QS and custom engraved face plate? I can find random models on eBay and I may eventually be able to find the specific model I need, but I'm not sure I'll be able to order the engraved faceplate without the Lutron order # that the Grafik Eye came from, seems the process is locked down to partners. Ideally I'd like to find a Lutron reseller that will just work with me to order parts. I fear the locals will want to come do installation and uncharge me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Does anyone have tips on how to acquire a Grafik Eye QS and custom engraved face plate? I can find random models on eBay and I may eventually be able to find the specific model I need, but I'm not sure I'll be able to order the engraved faceplate without the Lutron order # that the Grafik Eye came from, seems the process is locked down to partners. Ideally I'd like to find a Lutron reseller that will just work with me to order parts. I fear the locals will want to come do installation and uncharge me.

There is nothing that should stop you from ordering an engraved cover. For the QS they are sold separately anyway. If you don't have someone local to help you let me know.

·
Registered
872 Posts
When I built my last theater 12 years ago, I used a Grafik Eye (3506, if I remember the model number correctly).

Is Grafik Eye still a preferred solution - something like an 8 zone Wireless QS? Or has Grafik Eye been surpassed by other solutions? I'm at the lighting design phase of the project, so I can still wire for whatever solution I choose. I don't want to invest in Lutron again if there is something better these days.

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
When I built my last theater 12 years ago, I used a Grafik Eye (3506, if I remember the model number correctly).

Is Grafik Eye still a preferred solution - something like an 8 zone Wireless QS? Or has Grafik Eye been surpassed by other solutions? I'm at the lighting design phase of the project, so I can still wire for whatever solution I choose. I don't want to invest in Lutron again if there is something better these days.

Thanks!
I would look at Lutron's Caseta system, for the price point it's amazing. If you are talking a whole home and want illuminated keypads then Ra2 is still a great solution at a higher price point.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I went with a Grafik eye QS, just got it a few months back. I looked at all of the systems.

The Caseta are good if you want to install a bunch of individual switches and cobble together scenes using a smart hub. There are a lot of alternatives in this space, Lutron’s is one of the few with HomeKit integration if you care about that.

The RA2 suite is another step up, pretty big suite of hardware controls, sensors, etc. The Grafik Eye QS is actually a part of the RadioRA2 suite and falls under “light controls”. You could possibly put together a nice (even whole home) system with seeTouch keypads instead. I found the RA2 overwhelming because most of the components want to use the Lutron gateway, wireless repeaters, or special wiring. Most of the keypads don’t drop in on their own but are designed to connect to a remote relay unit or a Graphik Eye.

In the end since the Graphik Eye is so capable, integrated into one piece of hardware, *and* a part of the RadioRA2 suite I decided I would just get one and then I would be able to expand with the Lutron Gateway and all of the other components later, if I wanted.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Thanks!
The new Grafik Eye QS is the upgrade but still only 6zones. The 8 zone version is only for their ECO series ballasts and drivers (more for commercial use, for fluorescent and LED)
This still shares the same footprint and specs are at least as good as the GRX3106 and GRX3506.

The Grafik QS is fairly tolerant of most LED, but if you have a minimum load or ELV requirement, the other solution like Caseta, Radio Ra Select, or Radio Ra 2 are worth considering.
Grafik QS is Radio Ra 2 compatible. If you have other wired wall stations to your GRX You would need to replace those to upgrade as well.

Caseta, Radio Ra Select, and Radio Ra 2are all APP capable as well as Grafik QS as part of a Radio Ra 2 system (Main Rpeater and Connect Bridge required)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Can someone tell me what the difference is between IR DATA and IR COM?

I have a CAT5 Ethernet run to my Grafik Eye QS to control it via a Harmony Hub.
On the Harmony Hub end, I have this product (Ethernet to 3.5mm male, attached to a 3.5mm female to a 2.5mm male going into the Harmony Hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VEFI00/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I want to cut open the 3.5mm male jack end of the product linked above ( I don't know how many wires are under the hood of the product linked above but I

have posted a question on Amazon to the seller asked how many wires I will find underneath the 3.5mm male jack end of it)

The question is, after I cut open the 3.5mm male jack of the adapter product, which wires should I connect to IR DATA and IR COM?

The adapter manufacturer has shared on Amazon which wire is linked to which wire on the RJ45 block (they stated, and I quote "Our Cat5 adapters that come in our kit use lines 4,6 & 8"

Thanks in advance for anyone that can share any insight into this. :)

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Can someone tell me what the difference is between IR DATA and IR COM?

I have a CAT5 Ethernet run to my Grafik Eye QS to control it via a Harmony Hub.
On the Harmony Hub end, I have this product (Ethernet to 3.5mm male, attached to a 3.5mm female to a 2.5mm male going into the Harmony Hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VEFI00/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I want to cut open the 3.5mm male jack end of the product linked above ( I don't know how many wires are under the hood of the product linked above but I

have posted a question on Amazon to the seller asked how many wires I will find underneath the 3.5mm male jack end of it)

The question is, after I cut open the 3.5mm male jack of the adapter product, which wires should I connect to IR DATA and IR COM?

The adapter manufacturer has shared on Amazon which wire is linked to which wire on the RJ45 block (they stated, and I quote "Our Cat5 adapters that come in our kit use lines 4,6 & 8"

Thanks in advance for anyone that can share any insight into this. :)
IR Data is the + terminal. This is also the wire with the writing on it. The IR COM is the negative and is the side of the emitter wire which does not have writing on it. Very simple connection.

·
Registered
480 Posts
COM as in “common” electronics jargon?
Yes Com = Common or just C, might sometimes also refer to as Negative, Ground or Earth depending on the context, but to clarify it is not exclusively used for grounding, negative, or Earth they just get tossed into the same hat a lot. It just means it is in common in regards to what ever else is going on in that circuit.

You can ring out which wire is which with a simple meter, as suggested above, Tip is usually +, in your case Data or Signal, and marked with some writing or stripe, the Sleeve is Ground or Common & usually unmarked wire

1661 - 1672 of 1672 Posts