AVS Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2447 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Based on the information on the GX7 in this post yes that should work. Just remember you want the subs that are running together co-located or as close to as co-located as possible.
I will have four behind the screen two stacked left and right of the center channel. One middle of the room possible two, and possible two quads or duels in the back corners of the room.

With a total of 24 12in JBL in the room. Six of the 12in JBL are in a boss riser platform. My understanding is I don't really need any Ultra low bass because I have the tactile from the BOSS. Also safer on the house staying around 20Hz?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,362
I will have four behind the screen two stacked left and right of the center channel. One middle of the room possible two, and possible two quads or duels in the back corners of the room.

With a total of 24 12in JBL in the room. Six of the 12in JBL are in a boss riser platform. My understanding is I don't really need any Ultra low bass because I have the tactile from the BOSS. Also safer on the house staying around 20Hz?
The further below 20Hz you get, the less happy the house becomes. The BOSS will get the wobble effect you get from ULF on a suspended floor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I looking at buying two used QSC GX7 amps. Is the QSC GX7 the right amp to power the duel JBL devastators?

Specs say 4ohms 1000w per channel, so each channel should power two duel JBL devastators for a total of 4 Duel JBL devastators per amp correct?

I plan on buying DSP mini also.
With that in mind must be planning to run the two woofers in each cabinet in series, and then parallel a pair of cabinets per channel.

I have a pair of quad Dev's and I love the performance per dollar. I initially ran them on about 500 wpc and was pretty happy. I now have 1500 per channel with a Crown MA3600VZ and that is likely to much power (if there is such a thing) but they can run very distorted on that amp. When I was only using 500wpc it didn't get into woofer distortion very badly. I will say that my setup right now isn't far off what you plan, and it is pretty epic. Not that it will stop me from building more...

700 to 1000 per channel seems to be the sweet spot for running without going deeply into distortion.

Edited as you already know about BOSS

·
Registered
10 Posts
e coming out with a 1
Mini Devastator 18" Version 5 HCR

This is the latest in the Mini 18 line up with a unique feature in a top access panel, vs a rear access panel. This adds a little bit of volume for the rear chamber doing the low frequency heavy lifting and it allows for a much longer port vs a rear access panel. Assembly follows the other Minis very very closely, as always make sure you pre-drill the holes for the woofer before the cabinet is assembled and mark the outside diameter of the woofer if you can. You might also consider putting the gasket tape in place before adding the back panel. I added a few extra screen shots of the top and back for this cabinet. The simulation is based on a 18TBW100-4 pushing 1000 watts of power with a BW 17Hz 3rd order high pass filter active. The tune should come in right around 17Hz :)

Hi, i would like to know what is the wood thickness and if LAVOCE SAN184.02 fit into this box?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im thinking about building mini devastator 21 version 5 HCR with lavoce san214.50... wili this box beat 2 mini devastator with saf184.03?...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Setting up to finalizer v2 df with my inuke 6000dsp and had 2 high pass filter questions

1. Should That be set to 17 htz- how can I do this because the lowest option I have is 20hz

2. Should I used butterworth vs bessel vs linkwitz and what db option (12, 24, 48?)

3. Should I even worry about it?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,368
And i can get SaF184.03 for arround 200eur... will be ok for that box or should i use version 6 HCR?
Im thinking about building mini devastator 21 version 5 HCR with lavoce san214.50... wili this box beat 2 mini devastator with saf184.03?...
That would entirely depend on the room as to how the situation would pan out. If you had an ideal spot the D21v5 would be a bit behind the two SAF in a M18v6. Two subs will give you more options for taming room modes.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,369
Setting up to finalizer v2 df with my inuke 6000dsp and had 2 high pass filter questions

1. Should That be set to 17 htz- how can I do this because the lowest option I have is 20hz

2. Should I used butterworth vs bessel vs linkwitz and what db option (12, 24, 48?)

3. Should I even worry about it?
There is work around that can be found here. I would recommend getting the Mini DSP 2x4HD eventually. Each 6db of slope is an order, 12db of slope is a 2nd order filter. Butterworth is what is usually used on ported enclosure to prevent driver failure below tuning frequency. Subs are not indestructible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is work around that can be found here. I would recommend getting the Mini DSP 2x4HD eventually. Each 6db of slope is an order, 12db of slope is a 2nd order filter. Butterworth is what is usually used on ported enclosure to prevent driver failure below tuning frequency. Subs are not indestructible.
Thank you! for the inuke6000dsp and the eminence nsw6021-6 being 6 ohm, would you set the peak limiter and ohm setting for 4ohm or 8ohm as there's not a 6 ohm option?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,371 (Edited)
Thank you! for the inuke6000dsp and the eminence nsw6021-6 being 6 ohm, would you set the peak limiter and ohm setting for 4ohm or 8ohm as there's not a 6 ohm option?
I would not put too much faith in that limiter from past experiences. The Eminence has an Re of 3.8 Ohms, if I wanted 2000 watts into 3.8 Ohms I would set the voltage peak at 87.17 volts or so. The names, I cannot remember if it is attack or hold. Set those to minimum values along with the release time. A limiter in theory would knock gain down around 20db or so once the input signal peak hits the set threshold. Attack is how long it waits to drop gain and release is how long it holds that gain reduction.

Power calculator can be found here - Watts/Volts/Amps/Ohms conversion calculator

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would entirely depend on the room as to how the situation would pan out. If you had an ideal spot the D21v5 would be a bit behind the two SAF in a M18v6. Two subs will give you more options for taming room modes.
Thanx @Red Five
I decided to build Mini Dev21V5... is only 100eur difference between san214.50 vs saf184.03... Size of the boxes are the same(mini Dev18V6), so for the first time i build 1 and then i saw if missing something for me..and
in the first row; my wife won't kill me yet :D

So, can you tell me, if is worth to build from pollywood or i can build from MDF? and what is thickness of the material? Can i get cut list in metric measurments?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,373
Thanx @Red Five
I decided to build Mini Dev21V5... is only 100eur difference between san214.50 vs saf184.03... Size of the boxes are the same(mini Dev18V6), so for the first time i build 1 and then i saw if missing something for me..and
in the first row; my wife won't kill me yet :D

So, can you tell me, if is worth to build from pollywood or i can build from MDF? and what is thickness of the material? Can i get cut list in metric measurments?
Baltic Birch is usually the material of choice, those cabs are not very large, so MDF would be doable. The cut list have been switched to ~3/4", 18mm is close enough, no need for another cut list.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Curious what people are paying for their mdf and plywood where you live. I live in 92069 and just paid $46.50 per 4x8 3/4" baltic birch. It was what I initially thought I would buy but thought I would get mdf since i will probably just paint them then realized that mdf is only $10 cheaper than BB. I know the price of construction materials has gone up a lot since you know (insert witty name for virus).

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Curious what people are paying for their mdf and plywood where you live. I live in 92069 and just paid $46.50 per 4x8 3/4" baltic birch. It was what I initially thought I would buy but thought I would get mdf since i will probably just paint them then realized that mdf is only $10 cheaper than BB. I know the price of construction materials has gone up a lot since you know (insert witty name for virus).
That is a good price on BB. I get 5x5’s for $38, so very similar per sq ft. 4x8’s are 70-80 though.

Mdf is low 30’s for 4x8.
Acx ply is high 40’s.

Chris

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is a good price on BB. I get 5x5’s for $38, so very similar per sq ft. 4x8’s are 70-80 though.

Mdf is low 30’s for 4x8.
Acx ply is high 40’s.

Chris
This about the same as my local prices.

If you can get baltic birch for 48.50 for a 4x8 I'd go with that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
MDF in Northern IL costs 25 to 28 per 4x8 sheet of 3/4"

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,378
What started as a cute end table Micro Stepped Devastator has somehow turned into a sub with design goals similar to the SKRAM. Here is a snap shot, sim is the 21DS115-8 chugging along on 3400 watts of power. Velocity is around 30m/s on the vent with a BW 25Hz 2nd order HPF active. For music this thing would definitely tickle.

·
Registered
394 Posts
What started as a cute end table Micro Stepped Devastator has somehow turned into a sub with design goals similar to the SKRAM. Here is a snap shot, sim is the 21DS115-8 chugging along on 3400 watts of power. Velocity is around 30m/s on the vent with a BW 25Hz 2nd order HPF active. For music this thing would definitely tickle.

View attachment 3076275
Hmm, been looking for something that would pair with my horn-loaded La Scala IIs for awhile, would make use of my DS115-4s. Why did you model with the 8 Ohm?

2361 - 2380 of 2447 Posts