AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2455 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Should I use a gasket for the top hatch

What should I use to hold the driver? screws?
Should I.add extra meat to the back side for the screws

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The square is bracing for the hatch. However, it should be installed vertically like so:

Yes, you need to use gasket material for the hatch to prevent leaks. Here is an install example:

I use threaded inserts and machine screws for the driver, but coarse-thread screws will work. If you’re building with mdf, backer blocks are a good idea.

Chris

·
Registered
341 Posts
The square is bracing for the hatch. However, it should be installed vertically like so:

Yes, you need to use gasket material for the hatch to prevent leaks. Here is an install example:

I use threaded inserts and machine screws for the driver, but coarse-thread screws will work. If you’re building with mdf, backer blocks are a good idea.

Chris
Again thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
I now have two amps both are QSC GX7. I haven't ordered a mini DSP yet. So, am I safe to test the speakers if I move the Crossover switch to the up position and us CH1 is this consider the high pass filter? Also the front knobs say LF and HF, lol looks Greek to me. Just trying not to pull a Back to the Future moment. This is to test JBL duel Devastators.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,405
I now have two amps both are QSC GX7. I haven't ordered a mini DSP yet. So, am I safe to test the speakers if I move the Crossover switch to the up position and us CH1 is this consider the high pass filter? Also the front knobs say LF and HF, lol looks Greek to me. Just trying not to pull a Back to the Future moment. This is to test JBL duel Devastators.

Thanks

View attachment 3078234

View attachment 3078246
The 100Hz HPF would cut out most of the signal going to the Devastator. I would order the DSP soon and for testing just skip Demo low type stuff like EOT. Keep the volume down...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmm, it might just be me missing it, but did you drill your driver mounting screw holes yet?
If you didn't you should think about it before you have more stuff in the way.
@Schurter

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had plans to build a couple Dev's since the spring, but am just now getting back to it after I ended up moving this summer. The new room is now a little bigger , but I'm still planning to start with 2 Dev's to go along with my 3 1099's and 4 HT-8's I'm finishing up. The room is ~17' wide x 37' long x 9' tall. My AT screen wall will be 3' out and I'm planning to have the Dev's visible under the screen flush with the front of the screen wall. That way they'll be "part" of the wall. I may even do windowed versions like what @a77cj7 has done in a couple builds. I thought that would look great with the windows and the ports creating some features as part the screen wall. Anyway, I'm not quite sure which version to build now. I know I probably can't go too deep if I want to keep the front flush at 3' out and still want some clearance behind the subs as I've read somewhere in here it's best to have some space between the sub and the wall. That eliminate the deeper versions but any 30" and down are probably fine. Also, I had thought to use the reducer concept and start with an 18" driver and build a Mini Dev 18" V5 / Mini Dev 21" V4, but I've since decided to just go with the SAN214.50 drivers to start instead.

So, to summarize: I'd like to get some help deciding which 21" version to build that works well with the SAN 214.50, is <= 30" deep, and will crossover well with the DIYSG 1099's in a fairly large room with a carpeted concrete floor. With the Dev's, mini's, BMD's, LFE's, Finalizers, etc....I'm not sure what the best route is. I'll take any other advice you're willing dole out to me too.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,414
I've had plans to build a couple Dev's since the spring, but am just now getting back to it after I ended up moving this summer. The new room is now a little bigger , but I'm still planning to start with 2 Dev's to go along with my 3 1099's and 4 HT-8's I'm finishing up. The room is ~17' wide x 37' long x 9' tall. My AT screen wall will be 3' out and I'm planning to have the Dev's visible under the screen flush with the front of the screen wall. That way they'll be "part" of the wall. I may even do windowed versions like what @a77cj7 has done in a couple builds. I thought that would look great with the windows and the ports creating some features as part the screen wall. Anyway, I'm not quite sure which version to build now. I know I probably can't go too deep if I want to keep the front flush at 3' out and still want some clearance behind the subs as I've read somewhere in here it's best to have some space between the sub and the wall. That eliminate the deeper versions but any 30" and down are probably fine. Also, I had thought to use the reducer concept and start with an 18" driver and build a Mini Dev 18" V5 / Mini Dev 21" V4, but I've since decided to just go with the SAN214.50 drivers to start instead.

So, to summarize: I'd like to get some help deciding which 21" version to build that works well with the SAN 214.50, is <= 30" deep, and will crossover well with the DIYSG 1099's in a fairly large room with a carpeted concrete floor. With the Dev's, mini's, BMD's, LFE's, Finalizers, etc....I'm not sure what the best route is. I'll take any other advice you're willing dole out to me too.
That is a large space at 5700 cubic feet. You have a lot info for narrowing it down. The stepped resonators would be an absolute pain for constructing a windowed front. Something like Alpha II would be good for dealing with that large of a space, so there is a choice there. The Alpha I would be easier to install a Windowed front, but the response cuts off hard around 80Hz. However, the 1099s should not have much of a problem reaching down to 60 or 70Hz. The HT-8s could be a more tricky proposition crossing lower. The depth requirement culls the herd further, Finalizers unless it is the FV4 are out. That leaves cabs like the Devastator 21 V4. If you are on a slab of concrete I would keep the tunes higher at 19Hz or 20Hz. Ideal situation is seeing if the new stepped fronts work according to the model. The Alpha II would be the most flexible, either giving you very high amounts of 20Hz + output or adjusting it with a port plug for 16Hz tuning. The NSW would keep composure for longer vs the SAN when driving power into the woofers. If you can save longer it is a worthy investment.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I have 2 V5 HCR LaVoce 21" devastators driven by a Crown XLS2002 and one NSW V2 finalizer driven by a Crown CTS3000. The Alpha II with an NSW would be what I'd do also If I started over. I'm sending a bit more power to my NSW than my SANs and it doesn't seem to distort like my SANs do when driven really hard.

On a side note, I was toying with my co-located 18" SAF Devastators last night and I will say nearfield two of these seem to pack a greater punch than one of my V5 21" SANs. The price on those is pretty low in comparison which makes the whole theory of the more subs the better rather appealing when starting from scratch if you have the room.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,419
2401 - 2420 of 2455 Posts