AVS Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 2760 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,621 ·
Perhaps a completely stupid question, but is there a limiting factor for the size of the horn slot? I'm doing a bit of thinking outside of the box, and wondering if it might be possible to re-orient the horn to the long side of the box, leaving the port where it is. Granted, the box construction gets "interesting", but it's a bit of thought experiment.

Could the fact that the Full Marty is a relatively simple ported box be the reason why the Kraken seemingly worked so well in it. It would also explain why the Kraken would be a lousy fit for the Dev.
Oh, I just checked GSG's website. They're listing the NSW6021 for $749
Putting the vent on the back wall assuming the cabinet lays on the side and having that vent exit what is typically the bottom of the cabinet? I have considered doing that. I am sitting back waiting for data before I push too much more out in the way of designs. If you go on DB and look at the review of the X21 you can see how much a vent can compress output. The answer is a lot. That problem only gets worse with woofers like the NSW that can really drive hard into a BR chamber. That review was with a 21DS115 which is a good woofer, but the NSW is more capable.

BR is not the most complex alignment which could help the Kraken. The standard and lossy inductance was showing roll off fairly early in the response. Ideally if the Kraken gets a DB review Josh will post the semi inductance figures which are going to be a lot more accurate. If Le was down to 4.0mH the roll off is pushed back and it models well in a high order cabinet, like a Devastator. Without a review pushing the Kraken through its paces it has question marks and does not simulate in a well behaved manner. I was a kid on Christmas day when I opened up the webpage, until I read the Le value in the spec sheet. I ran the sims and it did not behave the way a high performance 21" should. That is unusual for Dayton.

Do not go off the posted pricing for the NSW, GSG does offer discounts. Shipping is starting to go up with fuel prices, so it might not be as good as it was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Putting the vent on the back wall assuming the cabinet lays on the side and having that vent exit what is typically the bottom of the cabinet? I have considered doing that. I am sitting back waiting for data before I push too much more out in the way of designs.
Looking at the original drawing of the Finalizer V2 DF, (post-59592492), moving the horn slot to the 48" side and leaving the ports exactly where they are. This would put the two slots at 90 degree angles to each other. The advantage I can see here is being able to put the box with it's long dimension against the wall, and allowing the port to fire parallel to the wall while the horn fires directly into the room. It would have minimal effect on stacking.

If you go on DB
into a BR chamber
I'm not certain I know what either of these are.

Do not go off the posted pricing for the NSW, GSG does offer discounts. Shipping is starting to go up with fuel prices, so it might not be as good as it was.
Call them. They are required to advertise the nsw at MSRP, but can do better.
Ah, that makes more sense! I'll give them a call.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Driver is bc 18DS100-4

This is my curve with 4 micro Marty's
this is the wife curve lol
View attachment 3114221
I like the wife curve part :) good one. Is that FR with or without EQ? You have 4 Micro Marty and how many mini devs? How do you like the mix???
I first had 2 Mini Marty using UXL-18 then I built 2 V1 Devs then built 2 V5 and replaced Mini Marty with V5 and then finally 2 more V5. So ended up with 4 V5. When I had only 2 Mini Marty + UXL18, they used to push a lot of air but I was running them like 15dB hot. These devs scare me so I don't go beyond 7dB with all 4 devs included. But mann these UXL18 drivers were crazy good and I sold them so cheap :-(.

Is there a driver that can do the low end job like UXL18 but in 21" size that I can fit in V5. I'd like to try that out. I think
Eminence NSW6021-6 comes closest. @a77cj7 have you used both Eminence NSW6021-6 and
LaVoce SAN214.50 21
o
r anyone else who has used both in dev please share your opinion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like the wife curve part :) good one. Is that FR with or without EQ? You have 4 Micro Marty and how many mini devs? How do you like the mix???
I first had 2 Mini Marty using UXL-18 then I built 2 V1 Devs then built 2 V5 and replaced Mini Marty with V5 and then finally 2 more V5. So ended up with 4 V5. When I had only 2 Mini Marty + UXL18, they used to push a lot of air but I was running them like 15dB hot. These devs scare me so I don't go beyond 7dB with all 4 devs included. But mann these UXL18 drivers were crazy good and I sold them so cheap :-(.

Is there a driver that can do the low end job like UXL18 but in 21" size that I can fit in V5. I'd like to try that out. I think
Eminence NSW6021-6 comes closest. @a77cj7 have you used both Eminence NSW6021-6 and
LaVoce SAN214.50 21
o
r anyone else who has used both in dev please share your opinion.

REW and minidsp, did a small house curve.
Put the line at 86db and pulled 100% down and ended up like that.

I am happy with the mix.
2 devastators front stage
4 micro Marty's behind the couch

Even at just 85db ( mlp ) it fills the space and can shake my house.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wife curve, NICE. So the question is do you use the wife curve when she is not in the theater, not in the house, or not within a few miles? For me, if she is just out walking the dog, that isn't far enough, she has to be a mile or more away if I don't want to hear from her later about how it was shaking this piece of furniture or breaking that trinket. I don't really listen to it very often, but when I do it does tend to be loud. The family just tolerates those occasions. Long ago I told the wife I was thinking about putting in a "sound proof" room, and she was like "why, the kids are big, who cares?". She now knows the answer and it is her.

If I wanted to measure the max spl in my room, what would be a good tool for that? The UMIK1 has a low threshold and I blow past 105 without even trying. It can be a dumb handheld, or a REW connected beauty? Just looking for suggestions that give me an actual reading, not some weighted thing. It would be nice if it cost $100 or less, but curious what people are using to measure max SPL?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If I wanted to measure the max spl in my room, what would be a good tool for that? The UMIK1 has a low threshold and I blow past 105 without even trying. It can be a dumb handheld, or a REW connected beauty? Just looking for suggestions that give me an actual reading, not some weighted thing. It would be nice if it cost $100 or less, but curious what people are using to measure max SPL?
Good luck, lol.

The umik can be opened up and sensitivity switches changed, good to theoretically 130db. More like 125db in practice.

After that, you need something like a termlab. Not a $100 item.

Chris

·
Registered
238 Posts
As usual, the path less traveled is the expensive path...

When you flip the switches in the UMIK does REW capture that as higher SPL? Does the calibration file still work, or would I need to flip them back for calibration? In other words, what are the downsides?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
As usual, the path less traveled is the expensive path...

When you flip the switches in the UMIK does REW capture that as higher SPL? Does the calibration file still work, or would I need to flip them back for calibration? In other words, what are the downsides?
You have to adjust the offset in the cal file to match your new setting. Just take the difference between the factory setting (usually -18db) and the new setting (0 db), and subtract it from the factory offset.

I need to calibrate the offset in my high level umik with my csl umik. See just how far off it is.

Chris

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,632 ·
Looking at the original drawing of the Finalizer V2 DF, (post-59592492), moving the horn slot to the 48" side and leaving the ports exactly where they are. This would put the two slots at 90 degree angles to each other. The advantage I can see here is being able to put the box with it's long dimension against the wall, and allowing the port to fire parallel to the wall while the horn fires directly into the room. It would have minimal effect on stacking.

I'm not certain I know what either of these are.

Ah, that makes more sense! I'll give them a call.
I will dig up the mock for that cabinet and make a few adjustments to it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,633 · (Edited)
Finalizer V2 mod mockup. A few other mods added in from member feedback. If you drop a NSW in a FV2 and feed it with a CTS3000, things can flex. The bracing changes should solve that issue.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Finalizer V2 mod mockup. A few other mods added in from member feedback. If you drop a NSW in a FV2 and feed it with a CTS3000, things can flex. The bracing changes should solve that issue.

View attachment 3114730

View attachment 3114731
It looks like there are two port boards in your model?

My thoughts, it looks like you could put the hatch on the other end if that is a need.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
It looks like there are two port boards in your model?

My thoughts, it looks like you could put the hatch on the other end if that is a need.
There is only one port board. It does not turn a corner.

The hatch could be moved, but that makes it more likely to be visible, and results in a smaller opening.

Chris

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is only one port board. It does not turn a corner.

The hatch could be moved, but that makes it more likely to be visible, and results in a smaller opening.

Chris
Oh the "second port board" I was looking at is the port rail. DOH!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,637 ·
In case anyone is wondering why more stuff has not been released lately, R&D is busy!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Why would members request ports 90* from each other?
Perhaps a completely stupid question, but is there a limiting factor for the size of the horn slot? I'm doing a bit of thinking outside of the box, and wondering if it might be possible to re-orient the horn to the long side of the box, leaving the port where it is. Granted, the box construction gets "interesting", but it's a bit of thought experiment.
Chris

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,640 ·
Why would members request ports 90* from each other?
48" inches into a room is asking a lot. 32" is not nearly as bad. Then there is vent hierarchy, 90° bend slot < dual 45° bend slot < straight slot < multiple straight cylinders < single large straight cylinder < single smooth bore large cylinder with large flares. There are a few other variations in between these, but you get the idea. Balancing complexity, practically, bandwidth, compression and performance is a mess. Straight slots are the best thing we have for the moment on the simplicity and practicality side of the equation. R&D is busy, hopefully we get another wrinkle in the equation.

2621 - 2640 of 2760 Posts