AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2759 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,662 ·
Do you have an existing design in mind?
Use the FV2 mod with tweaked cabinet dimensions seems like a good idea. Assembly will be straight forward yet and the port list will be pretty low. Bracing is not needed on the top and bottom of the cabinet due to the vent and HF resonator running on those panels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Who, me?

I can't imagine what that would look/sound like.
I don't have to imagine it! I am still tuning the setup since I added a triple stack of quad 12 to my room, so while I have some idea what it sounds like, it isn't yet ideally configured. It is quite loud though.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,664 ·
Who is ready for post Devastator 12" compressionless wrath? Skar DDX12 on 1000 watts of power :D

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh damnit it's April 1st isn't it....

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,670 ·
LOL. I also noticed you have the sub firing in the opposite direction.
The driver can only fit in the HF resonator, one of the complications of two QWPs. This thing is in the highly experimental category with a good chance of things not going well.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,672 ·
Early concept teaser, LFE with a stepped front. Any interest? Simulation is with a NSW running 2000 watts. Tuning is 16Hz.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
How big does that enclosure have to be to raise the lower knee to 125dB's?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,674 ·
How big does that enclosure have to be to raise the lower knee to 125dB's?
There is not a woofer available that works in a Devastator that could provide the displacement need for 125db with the 16Hz tuning. The NSW is already over rated xmax of 21mm on the current concept cabinet. The 44.25 inch vent is pushing 34m/s here. 122db might be doable with more rear chamber displacement, but velocity is going to get even more ugly unfortunately. Potentially doable at 19Hz tuning, but going down another 30% of an octave just kills it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Red Five

You have previously mentioned wanting large smooth flares for ports. I am curious if you are familiar with these guys
They have a fleet of printers and just print whatever you send them. That specific page is for a large format printer they have and the material it prints in. It can print things around 2 cubic feet and I could see using something like that to build complex curves which are then integrated into a wood enclosure as transition pieces or something like that. You could potentially design an oval flare for a port or something like that and then mount it into the box.

I am not an expert on 3d printing, but thought you might find it to be an interesting way to expand your tool set beyond slot ports.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,676 ·
@Red Five

You have previously mentioned wanting large smooth flares for ports. I am curious if you are familiar with these guys
They have a fleet of printers and just print whatever you send them. That specific page is for a large format printer they have and the material it prints in. It can print things around 2 cubic feet and I could see using something like that to build complex curves which are then integrated into a wood enclosure as transition pieces or something like that. You could potentially design an oval flare for a port or something like that and then mount it into the box.

I am not an expert on 3d printing, but thought you might find it to be an interesting way to expand your tool set beyond slot ports.
Chris is going to be playing with one of these. That will be used on an ultra low tuned 24". That test should be a pretty good indicator of how well the flared vents work.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There is not a woofer available that works in a Devastator that could provide the displacement need for 125db with the 16Hz tuning. The NSW is already over rated xmax of 21mm on the current concept cabinet. The 44.25 inch vent is pushing 34m/s here. 122db might be doable with more rear chamber displacement, but velocity is going to get even more ugly unfortunately. Potentially doable at 19Hz tuning, but going down another 30% of an octave just kills it.
Whatchu think?

NSW6021-6 TH's.jpg

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,679 ·
From a glance systems have an Fb in he 20Hz to 23Hz range based on the displacement graphs. Getting down to a Fb of 16Hz will start pushing the passband down under 70Hz. Usually a TH is good for around two octaves. Box size is going up considerably to reach that low of an Fb. That tune is down about half an octave, box size will about double to make up for it. Otherwise there will be a good efficiency hit. The other problem will be the mid band phase shift. The series box will not play nice with others. I have tinkered with a lot of different simulations and there are always compromises, some of them bigger than others for implementation.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Chris is going to be playing with one of these. That will be used on an ultra low tuned 24". That test should be a pretty good indicator of how well the flared vents work.

It's been a minute since I built an enclosure with port tubes. In 1996, I built an isobaric BP4 with 4 MTX RT2's with four 4" port tubes. That bad boy spoke to whales in my 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. We had a garage sale after I donated the car in 2002. The iBP4 was the 1st thing sold for $200. I think I paid less for the 4 drivers new.

Is there a build log on this low tuned 24?

2661 - 2680 of 2759 Posts