AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1867 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #641
I like it. All that's missing is a Devastator MBM. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

That is close to done, I just have to do some screen grabs and finish up the cut list off the mock up :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #642 (Edited)
Mini Devastator 21" Mini MBM

This box is designed for a few different things. One if you have very capable ULF subs but want more mid bass punch. Two you listen to music at insane levels, non of it really digs below the mid 30s. Three you have a vehicle this fits in and you want to inflict pain. The sim was ran using 2000 watts with a BW 33Hz 2nd order high pass filter. The box and sub can take a whole lot more power than that with the HPF setting. If you had an amp that could produce program power this should take it. Tune works out to 35Hz. Woofer is a SAN 214.50.

Comparison to a Devastator V4 1w1m (perfect example of needing 4x the displacement to achieve same level of efficiency each octave you go down)

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
This box is designed for a few different things. One if you have very capable ULF subs but want more mid bass punch. Two you listen to music at insane levels, non of it really digs below the mid 30s. Three you have a vehicle this fits in and you want to inflict pain. The sim was ran using 2000 watts with a BW 33Hz 2nd order high pass filter. The box and sub can take a whole lot more power than that with the HPF setting. If you had an amp that could produce program power this should take it. Tune works out to 35Hz. Woofer is a SAN 214.50.

Comparison to a Devastator V4 1w1m (perfect example of needing 4x the displacement to achieve same level of efficiency each octave you go down)

YOU ARE THE MAN @Red Five!!!!! Thanks for doing this. I have an XLS2502, NX6000 ans NU12000 that I can use. But with 8 ohm drivers, none of them are a very good fit for these amps. The Crown pushes my 24 better than the NX6000, so I'll use that in bridge mode. It will be at least three weeks till I get started. The guy I built those Helix MTs for just gave me the green light on a sealed UM18, two sealed DIYSG buyout 15s and two dual driver sealed buyout 15s. All with the granite finish. It's going to be a busy March.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I wish a devastator could be designed to fit my 30” wide by 40” tall by 24” deep spots that digs below 20hz and will love my nsw’s. I would build 4 if that were the case. The upper end would be helped by my micro’s. Just dreaming.
i cant even imagine how crazy loud that set up is.

Reactions: eriksells916

·
Registered
582 Posts
I wish a devastator could be designed to fit my 30” wide by 40” tall by 24” deep spots that digs below 20hz and will love my nsw’s. I would build 4 if that were the case. The upper end would be helped by my micro’s. Just dreaming.

and here i am trying to figure out if i should do one 15” or 18” powered sub.

you clearly have WAY too much time on your hands lol.

that is a CRAZY setup! damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #652

If you can live with an 18Hz tune I can get velocity down to 24m/s with 1000 watts. I would consider that acceptable, at 2000 watts you would be adding about 10m/s of velocity which is the max I would push with HR 34m/s. This is 1000 watts with a 19Hz 2nd order HPF. The box is 40x30x24.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
If you can live with an 18Hz tune I can get velocity down to 24m/s with 1000 watts. I would consider that acceptable, at 2000 watts you would be adding about 10m/s of velocity which is the max I would push with HR 34m/s. This is 1000 watts with a 19Hz 2nd order HPF. The box is 40x30x24.

Wow thanks. You are fast! I wonder how much low end I’d be giving up compared to the cabs the nsw’s are currently in.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
Wow thanks. You are fast! I wonder how much low end I’d be giving up compared to the cabs the nsw’s are currently in.

Do you have displacement specs on those, port length height, width? You would have to add a lot of displacement to get more than 1db or so ahead.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #655
Considering my first box was 40x30x24 with my 21DS115 and that thing could blow some air when pushed. John had designed that cabinet with large vent to deal with just a DS at 18Hz tuned. I doubt anything can really handle the wrath of the NSW in that form factor and tune without velocity taking a hit lol.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #656 (Edited)
For fun here is the NSW in my Stormbreaker cabinet, which is close enough for comparison sake. Velocity sits at 20.5m/s with an 18Hz tune and you gain about 1.5db on the left corner. The vent is 2.5 inches high by 27 inches wide on this box. Not sure how that stacks up with your current boxes. Edit: it looks like the Dev will add a db or so around 30Hz, which is something to take into consideration with room gain starting at that point...

Then 1w1m comparison chart

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Devastator Options for NSW

I'm building a dedicated home theater, formal thread to come, and want to incorporate two Devastators. It is a large room (24'x28'x11'), so the size isn't an issue. My goal is to build the devastators for good solid 30-80Hz coverage, and plan to build some Full Marty's to complement these. The room is going to be 80% for movies, and 20% for music listening.

I'm planning to get two NSW drivers, but am undecided on the following three specs from the index page:

Option 1) (Go with something safe, but not as tuned for the driver...)
BMD 21" 60.5"x30"x28"

Option 2) (I really like the lower port velocity, and that it is spec'd for the NSW driver)
BMD MAX 21" (designed for the NSW) 62"x30"x30"

Option 3) (This one is appealing, but don't know if 'ALPHA' is meaning it isn't production ready?)
BMD ALPHA 21" (NSW HCR) 60"x30"x26"​

Thoughts/input/help...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #659
I'm building a dedicated home theater, formal thread to come, and want to incorporate two Devastators. It is a large room (24'x28'x11'), so the size isn't an issue. My goal is to build the devastators for good solid 30-80Hz coverage, and plan to build some Full Marty's to complement these. The room is going to be 80% for movies, and 20% for music listening.

I'm planning to get two NSW drivers, but am undecided on the following three specs from the index page:
Option 1) (Go with something safe, but not as tuned for the driver...)
BMD 21" 60.5"x30"x28"

Option 2) (I really like the lower port velocity, and that it is spec'd for the NSW driver)
BMD MAX 21" (designed for the NSW) 62"x30"x30"

Option 3) (This one is appealing, but don't know if 'ALPHA' is meaning it isn't production ready?)
BMD ALPHA 21" (NSW HCR) 60"x30"x26"​
Thoughts/input/help...

I would go with option 3 or go with the 21" MBM if you are only using them for Mid bass, but I would lean towards option 3. There is an Alpha and Omega BMD, two of the most ridiculous for output. Chris is building an Alpha soon. One other forum member is planning on one or two as well.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #660
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I’ll end up sticking with my cabs.

If we can find 25% more displacement for the rear chamber it could match the current boxes. Depth would be going up to 30" roughly for that to happen, the QW resonator is taking up 5.75 inches of depth.

641 - 660 of 1867 Posts