·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. But, which model of Devastator is this exactly? Thanks

It’s the BMD Ultra Shallow with the Pa460

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is the smallest box for cramming a 21" on the inside of a Devastator with a 20Hz of less tune.
@tarponater just a heads up this box is going to exist!
That is tiny for a Devastator. That fits my space a little better. I did some testing with my 21s last weekend. One in a sealed cabinet (5ft^3) and another in an old UM18 full marty cabinet. The chest slam in the sealed cabinet was incredible. Easily the most impact I've felt so far. Can't wait to get started on a Devastator.

Reactions: Red Five

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
432 Posts
Beast Mode Devastator

Beast Mode Devastator

Reminds me of Disney Beauty and the Beast rather than a starship reference from Star Wars which is what the design is named after, right Red-Five (another Star Wars refrence(?))?
Well, at least they are both owned by Disney so its all good. Lol
@tk123 asked me about the 460 in the BDM and my comparison to my 460 in my Mini.

Well, the BDM is for sure a Beast (see what I did there) but only from where the xo is on up (40hz? , I forgot to look) which means this box is by far better suited fo a ULX type combo where you could play some sealed boxes from 5-40hz and then the BDM up to xo and LFE which I would love to do but unfortunately I’m not set up for that senecio.
To compare my mini against it also would be unfair because most DEVESTARORS are designed for the 20-100hz which is what I personally love about them.... you can just keep adding different boxes to get the desired tune (more or less midbass) you want without too many problems with intergration.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,147
@tk123 You were curious about a PA460 optimized box? This is what it would look like. Form factor is high lighted. Power is 350 watts pushing 11mm of excursion with a 20Hz 2nd order HPF. Tune is 18Hz, I would not say it is a low end beast, but it does have some SPL down there. This thing would absolutely pound for music!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,148
Reminds me of Disney Beauty and the Beast rather than a starship reference from Star Wars which is what the design is named after, right Red-Five (another Star Wars refrence(?))?
Well, at least they are both owned by Disney so its all good. Lol
@tk123 asked me about the 460 in the BDM and my comparison to my 460 in my Mini.

Well, the BDM is for sure a Beast (see what I did there) but only from where the xo is on up (40hz? , I forgot to look) which means this box is by far better suited fo a ULX type combo where you could play some sealed boxes from 5-40hz and then the BDM up to xo and LFE which I would love to do but unfortunately I’m not set up for that senecio.
To compare my mini against it also would be unfair because most DEVESTARORS are designed for the 20-100hz which is what I personally love about them.... you can just keep adding different boxes to get the desired tune (more or less midbass) you want without too many problems with intergration.

No, BMD just sounded cool, the other meaning would be Bass of Mass Destruction. It is a F-35 reference where the fighter gives up stealth and is loaded with missiles, that is referred to as the beast mode configuration.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
No, BMD just sounded cool, the other meaning would be Bass of Mass Destruction.
Bass of Mass Destruction does sound pretty cool:cool:

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
432 Posts
I goofed that all up. I meant BMD shallow and not the normal BMD @Red Five, that is what @tk123 was trying to ask me about. So, that would make two people interested in that Shallow BMD.
Do you have the full details on that with the 460 in it with xo points?

See what happens when you do non work stuff at work....

I like both meanings.... and we understand

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,151
I goofed that all up. I meant BMD shallow and not the normal BMD @Red Five , that is what @tk123 was trying to ask me about. So, that would make two people interested in that Shallow BMD.
Do you have the full details on that with the 460 in it with xo points?

See what happens when you do non work stuff at work....

I like both meanings.... and we understand

The 460 in the shallow can take 250 watts or so and push 11mm of excursion with a 19Hz 2nd order high pass filter active. This is no masking rear chamber resonance, this might look different in real life, but the pass band can probably reach up to 80Hz and side pillows are very much advised for BMDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
@Audiophile75 and @Red Five

Yes and yes....uhhhhhh.... I think.

Honestly, I had never looked at the BMD Shallow until I saw the post about it earlier today. The form factor would fit much easier behind my proposed screen wall than the deeper designs.

I am looking to get the best all around performance from the PA460. I don't need to crack walls or anything. Just looking for good output from about 20 - 80 Hz or so. Trying to keep it relatively simple at first, then possibly add a BOSS or something else later.

TK

·
Registered
820 Posts

Honestly, I had never looked at the BMD Shallow until I saw the post about it earlier today. The form factor would fit much easier behind my proposed screen wall than the deeper designs.

I am looking to get the best all around performance from the PA460. I don't need to crack walls or anything. Just looking for good output from about 20 - 80 Hz or so. Trying to keep it relatively simple at first, then possibly add a BOSS or something else later.

TK
LOL.... you have jokes..... the rabbit hole is UNDEFEATED...... you WILL have 2 more Devs before New Years....
I'm calling it now....LOL.:D:D:D

Juju

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154

TK

I would cut the 21" hole in the shallow and use a manifold for a couple reasons. Dayton finally drops the PA 21", so that will most likely be a very cheap 21" that will beat out the 460 by 3db. You eventually want more bass and pick up a SAN 214.50 and use the full potential of the BMD :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would cut the 21" hole in the shallow and use a manifold for a couple reasons. Dayton finally drops the PA 21", so that will most likely be a very cheap 21" that will beat out the 460 by 3db. You eventually want more bass and pick up a SAN 214.50 and use the full potential of the BMD :)
Oh great. An upgrade path before I ever get started. Just what I need- more to consider.......lol. J/K🙃

·
Registered
820 Posts
Oh great. An upgrade path before I ever get started. Just what I need- more to consider.......lol. J/K🙃
EXACTLY my point......:D:D:D

Juju

·
Registered
555 Posts
Haha

Thanks guys.
Actually, I just thought of something else.
How does this PA460 loaded BMD Shallow compare to the Dual JBL Dev that @Audiophile75 has built ?
Drivers for both cabs would end up pretty much the same $

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,158
Haha

Thanks guys.
How does this PA460 loaded BMD Shallow compare to the Dual JBL Dev that @Audiophile75 has built ?

Do you have either of the woofers right now?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Haha

Thanks guys.
I personally would take the BMD for the upgrade path alone.... my $.02

Juju

1141 - 1160 of 1870 Posts