AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1868 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,542
@Red Five, I'm getting ready to renovate my theater soon. This will include a false wall with a max depth of 22". The plan is to have three vertical 1099s, two HS24s in 19ft^3 (net) tuned to 17Hz and a pair of the BMD shallow cabinets loaded with the LaVoce SAN214 drivers. I'm also working on a 10Hz tune for the 24s. Do you think the shallow BMD would integrate well sharing the front wall with the 24s in those 17Hz cabinets?
If you run each with BW 2nd order HPFs at tune it should be easy and not cause phase cancellations.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,543
How does the new DA21" measure up in a 21" devastator variant?
If you primary goal is music quite well in a Devastator V1. It does not like the higher compression front and power handling is a bit unknown. 500 watts pushes rated Xmax, 1000 watts has it out to 14.5mm. Go a little further up in the Index you will see some data on it. For HT Duty with not a ton of room gain I would pick the SAF184.03 first. Smaller boxes to deal with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So how long until we see a dual 21" LFE Dev? :D ;)

Reactions: Craig S King

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,545
So how long until we see a dual 21" LFE Dev? :D ;)
Go further back, look for the Devastator 4000. The problem is stacking Finalizer DFs is a lot easier and it will have more output lol.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
So I keep thinking, what 4 of these with my nsw’s would do. Compared to my current ported cabs...
I think it would probably be a bad fit. The nsw in the mini dev. Thoughts?

·
Registered
601 Posts
My first thought is that you would loose extension as your current boxes are tuned to 17hz right? Of course I never heard just the ported boxes without the alphas but I thought you had the upper range covered pretty well. What are you trying to add? Or do you just want to build something?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
My first thought is that you would loose extension as your current boxes are tuned to 17hz right? Of course I never heard just the ported boxes without the alphas but I thought you had the upper range covered pretty well. What are you trying to add? Or do you just want to build something?

I just want to build. That’s my first issue. Then, I always want more everything. That’s my next issue. Lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,551
So I keep thinking, what 4 of these with my nsw’s would do. Compared to my current ported cabs...
I think it would probably be a bad fit. The nsw in the mini dev. Thoughts?
If you run a BW 2nd order HPF at 17 or 18Hz power handling would probably be bound more by the voice coil taking heat vs port velocity...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,555
Definitely curious what port velocity would be at 2000 watts with the nsw
That depends a lot on the HPF. With a second order filter it should be in the high 20s to low 30s. 2500 watt would probably push 34 or 35m/s.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,557
Well I could build one and check it out.
That you could, it is not the most material intensive nor is it the most complicated from a parts perspective. Based on the vent area and length you really cannot get much better on velocity unless you punch the tune up or give up bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
That you could, it is not the most material intensive nor is it the most complicated from a parts perspective. Based on the vent area and length you really cannot get much better on velocity unless you punch the tune up or give up bandwidth.

Right! Well I think you and Chris have me convinced to just build. Measure, play.... live a little ya know?

·
Registered
601 Posts
What if you gave up the top end bandwidth? You still have the micros right? Would that help the design at all?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,560
What if you gave up the top end bandwidth? You still have the micros right? Would that help the design at all?

If you go down that road it would make sense to do it on a BMD where the QW resonance is lower in the past band. The Mini has the highest frequency resonant point, you are working against it when trying to push the port resonance further down. It would make more sense to make new BR boxes.

1541 - 1560 of 1868 Posts