AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1870 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
What if you gave up the top end bandwidth? You still have the micros right? Would that help the design at all?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The only reason I’m thinking this way, is I can fit 4 of these stacked. I’m pretty much maxed on room. Doesn’t really give me room to tweak the designs.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,562
The only reason I’m thinking this way, is I can fit 4 of these stacked. I’m pretty much maxed on room. Doesn’t really give me room to tweak the designs.
You will like the Minis. My M18V1s with the 184.03s really pound cleanly, at least with the amp upgrade. The NSWs in Minis will be on a completely different level of insanity :D

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
432 Posts
I’m pretty much maxed on room.
Doesn’t really give me room to tweak the designs.
From all the reading here on AVS, I and maybe others are curious to what you think you are going to improve on with redesigning to all Devs on an already stout setup. I get massive amounts of SPL is good and all but do you feel that normal movie watching is lacking in something? Just curious.

I know I did four matching Devs up front to boost my overhead but in hind sight I wish I would have matched four really low tuned Devs in four corners of my room and then also leave room for midbass monsters up front somewhere too.... next time.

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
You will like the Minis. My M18V1s with the 184.03s really pound cleanly, at least with the amp upgrade. The NSWs in Minis will be on a completely different level of insanity :D

Insanity is a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
From all the reading here on AVS, I and maybe others are curious to what you think you are going to improve on with redesigning to all Devs on an already stout setup. I get massive amounts of SPL is good and all but do you feel that normal movie watching is lacking in something? Just curious.

I know I did four matching Devs up front to boost my overhead but in hind sight I wish I would have matched four really low tuned Devs in four corners of my room and then also leave room for midbass monsters up front somewhere too.... next time.

I’m just in rabbit hole free fall.
Normal movie watching with my friends and family I am 100 % happy. Just war mode demos I miss having the extra oomph of the alphas and micros. But I sold a 20k amp and 4 devs. So I’m just looking to get some of that feeling back.

·
Registered
494 Posts
@Red Five, can the width of the BMD Shallow HCR be taken down to 28"? My room is 150.5" wide. The 99s are 12.5" wide, that would leave 26" for each of the 24s. Doable, but I'd like to make the 24s 28" wide.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,567
@Red Five , can the width of the BMD Shallow HCR be taken down to 28"? My room is 150.5" wide. The 99s are 12.5" wide, that would leave 26" for each of the 24s. Doable, but I'd like to make the 24s 28" wide.

It would look something like this. You might have to add a couple front to back braces toward the bottom of the rear chamber. That sim is using a 3rd order high pass filter, but a 2nd order high pass filter a little under tune will look about the same. The simulation is based on 1000 watts. The tune will be around 18.5Hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
It would look something like this. You might have to add a couple front to back braces toward the bottom of the rear chamber. That sim is using a 3rd order high pass filter, but a 2nd order high pass filter a little under tune will look about the same. The simulation is based on 1000 watts. The tune will be around 18.5Hz.

Thanks. Any issues with using traditional window bracing throughout the rear chamber?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,569
Thanks. Any issues with using traditional window bracing throughout the rear chamber?

It should be close enough in displacement to not throw the tune off much, it should stay under 19Hz.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like I won’t be able to use the devs after all, tried getting it into the room and it won’t make the turn on the landing, figured the extra 6cm depth compared to my old subs wouldn’t make a difference, I was wrong. The devastators have defeated me!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,571
Looks like I won’t be able to use the devs after all, tried getting it into the room and it won’t make the turn on the landing, figured the extra 6cm depth compared to my old subs wouldn’t make a difference, I was wrong. The devastators have defeated me!

Is the door frame the obstacle that is not allowing them to work?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Get a moving company in there. They'll lift it right over that banister.

Reactions: krholmberg

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That's what I was thinking!

·
Registered
357 Posts
We managed to get it to bannister height, but there’s a wall opposite and then the hallway opening, so we couldn’t put it down without it resting and scratching the walls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Got my dad coming tomorrow who is confident he’️ll be able to get it in! Fingers crossed

Sorry man, I had dreams that mine didn’t fit. I literally went and measured door openings, etc in the middle of the night.

Go slow, and be safe moving it. We are all rooting for you to get it in place.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry man, I had dreams that mine didn’t fit. I literally went and measured door openings, etc in the middle of the night.

Go slow, and be safe moving it. We are all rooting for you to get it in place.

That’s the main issue I think. Probably moveable, it’s just the safety aspect of it, if something slipped at the top of the stairs it’s game over!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,579
That’s the main issue I think. Probably moveable, it’s just the safety aspect of it, if something slipped at the top of the stairs it’s game over!

Did you yank the woofer out for moving it? Not a huge reduction in weight, but in an awkward situation like that, take anything you can get for making it easier to move!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Did you yank the woofer out for moving it? Not a huge reduction in weight, but in an awkward situation like that, take anything you can get for making it easier to move!

Yeah woofers are back in boxes till I’ve got them in position!

1561 - 1580 of 1870 Posts