AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1870 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Red Five - Just an FYI, I have confirmed with PE and Dayton that the PSS555-8 21" driver has 24mm one-way Xmech and 48mm peak to peak.

Like I said before, I am not building Devastators for mine, but since we were discussing Dev options using it I thought I would include it in this thread. I also updated the PSS555-8 thread with this info.

Cool!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,583
Red Five - Just an FYI, I have confirmed with PE and Dayton that the PSS555-8 21" driver has 24mm one-way Xmech and 48mm peak to peak.

Like I said before, I am not building Devastators for mine, but since we were discussing Dev options using it I thought I would include it in this thread. I also updated the PSS555-8 thread with this info.

Cool!

I saw that yesterday! If it runs out of steam and distorts around 17mm, that would be pretty cool...

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Starting on the 2nd v5 12" Devastator. My first box was about a 1/4" off when I put the bottom on the last one. PL3x might have been part of it but I don't think the factory MDF cuts at HD/Lowes are square - you kinda take those things for grantite as an amateur. Bought a flush trim bit and will make the sides a little longer this time and see if this works out a little better this time.

I didn't put pillows in my first one. I'm guessing I should do that in this one right?

I also bought a Crown XLS2002 with the $50 off sale plus Amazon credit I had. I'm going to give it a go just running one devastator while waiting on glue to dry during the build and see if the output is similar to the Behringer before I buy a Cleanbox pro - my AVR is a Denon 3313CI at the moment. Are all AVR's LFE signal is too weak or does it just depend on the model?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,585 (Edited)
Starting on the 2nd v5 12" Devastator. My first box was about a 1/4" off when I put the bottom on the last one. PL3x might have been part of it but I don't think the factory MDF cuts at HD/Lowes are square - you kinda take those things for grantite as an amateur. Bought a flush trim bit and will make the sides a little longer this time and see if this works out a little better this time.

I didn't put pillows in my first one. I'm guessing I should do that in this one right?

I also bought a Crown XLS2002 with the $50 off sale plus Amazon credit I had. I'm going to give it a go just running one devastator while waiting on glue to dry during the build and see if the output is similar to the Behringer before I buy a Cleanbox pro - my AVR is a Denon 3313CI at the moment. Are all AVR's LFE signal is too weak or does it just depend on the model?
If you add an 1/8 inch to both dimensions of the side panels it can make life easier, especially with a flush trim bit. The Devastator rear chamber is starting to get standing waves close to the pass band at 48" tall. A pillow on each side panel midway down is a good path to take. Probably not necessary for a lower crossover frequency, 80Hz or less. If you are getting hum, line noise or the sub is not hitting hard I would go with a Cleanbox. Having a strong signal going into the amp without cranking the sub trim level or maxing the amp input sensitivity is my preference.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Finally jumping into the Devastator ring. I'll be building a pair of shallow BMDs for the SAN214s. No modifications to the size of the cabinets. We're getting a lot of rain the next few days so I don't know if I will be able to finish them this weekend. Fingers crossed though. This will be the first step of a complete renovation to my theater.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If you add an 1/8 inch to both dimensions of the side panels it can make life easier, especially with a flush trim bit. The Devastator rear chamber is starting to get standing waves close to the pass band at 48" tall. A pillow on each side panel midway down is a good path to take. Probably not necessary for a lower crossover frequency, 80Hz or less. If you are getting hum, line noise or the sub is not hitting hard I would go with a Cleanbox. Having a strong signal going into the amp without cranking the sub trim level or maxing the amp input sensitivity is my preference.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll add pillows pillows for this one. Might pop open the hatch on the other and add to that one too. I'd prefer not to boost the gain up on the AVR/amp much either. I'll see how it compares on the Crown to the Behringer - I might end up having to go that route.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Dude, I haven't seen you around these parts in quite some time and you return by calling me a liar:rolleyes: Get a grip on yourself man! Maybe you need more time away from this place...just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
@Red Five, @a77cj7.... Others....
I'm good to go with V3 version of Devs since its much better to fit in the space. I already have Lavoce 21" in 2 Devs V1 so I"ll do the same for V3. All together it will be 2 V1 and 2 V3 all using La Voce 21" drivers.

Now the only issue/concern: Currently I'm running my system with 2 V1 devs and 2 Mini Marty. Mini Marty are using PA460 drivers. All subs are tuned to 19Hz. With all subs involved with 2 in front and 2 in back, I get good FR across seats. After Dirac calibration and a 10dB house curve, bass is how should I put it.... super yummy. It checks all the boxes. Everything sounds perfect. But then I keep thinking what would happen if I replace these 2 Mini Marty that are using PA460 with 2 Dev V3 using Lavoce 21" drivers????????????? That's where I need your help guys. I'm posing the FR of the systems so you can relate to how things are. Please keep the response layman since I don't uderstand too much technical aspects :)

I have listened to songs and they hit hard with Mid bass and played movies and room gets good pressurization and again great Mid Bass. Now wondering what the change will bring.

This is how subs look like before any room correction. Blue is MLP, Red is Right seat and Black is Left seat. No one sits on Left seat so the peak is of no concern to me.

And here is after Dirac 9 point calibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
@Red Five, @a77cj7.... Others....
I'm good to go with V3 version of Devs since its much better to fit in the space. I already have Lavoce 21" in 2 Devs V1 so I"ll do the same for V3. All together it will be 2 V1 and 2 V3 all using La Voce 21" drivers.

Now the only issue/concern: Currently I'm running my system with 2 V1 devs and 2 Mini Marty. Mini Marty are using PA460 drivers. All subs are tuned to 19Hz. With all subs involved with 2 in front and 2 in back, I get good FR across seats. After Dirac calibration and a 10dB house curve, bass is how should I put it.... super yummy. It checks all the boxes. Everything sounds perfect. But then I keep thinking what would happen if I replace these 2 Mini Marty that are using PA460 with 2 Dev V3 using Lavoce 21" drivers????????????? That's where I need your help guys. I'm posing the FR of the systems so you can relate to how things are. Please keep the response layman since I don't uderstand too much technical aspects :)

I have listened to songs and they hit hard with Mid bass and played movies and room gets good pressurization and again great Mid Bass. Now wondering what the change will bring.

This is how subs look like before any room correction. Blue is MLP, Red is Right seat and Black is Left seat. No one sits on Left seat so the peak is of no concern to me.

If you’re already happy with the sound and output, why upgrade? O, right, this is avs .

Swapping pa460 mini martys to san214 dev’s will definitely add output. I don’t see a downside, you will gain output everywhere.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
If you’re already happy with the sound and output, why upgrade? O, right, this is avs .

Swapping pa460 mini martys to san214 dev’s will definitely add output. I don’t see a downside, you will gain output everywhere.

Chris
Haha.... Says the man who has Sub V3 :D:D:D:D:D You are in position to say that Sir :p:p:p:p. Yes this is avs. I think it should be changed to AVN as "All Very Nuts" lolllssss. I know I have sub good bass across the seats and here I'm thinking about switching. I guess it never ends does it. if it does, we find reasons to change it. Many here will confess to that.
Well.... I run my whole system 10dB hot. With 4 subs running 10dB hot isn't pushing the system at all. Soooo if I'm going to have more output, it will be of no use for me. My only reason of switching/upgrading would be the sound signature. Heck, 2 Mini Marty with UXL18 had lots of output for me but with Devs, the bass quality is NUTSSSSS. Not the output but the quality of Midbass. I'm just a big sucker of Mid Bass and Sweeet low bass. Devs seem to do that well. I'm sure Sub V3 will be even better but that thing is HUGEEEEE.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,594 (Edited)
@Red Five , @a77cj7 .... Others....

A 21" that can throw around 20mm one way, which is going to be at least 8db ahead of a PA460 down low. That is a lot of output for either headroom or savagery, your choice :) Edit: the M21V5 that went MIA is a very nice balance that is a little less volume to deal with and I overbuilt the rear chamber on that cabinet, that way it can handle things like the NSW chugging on an XLS 2502 or a bridged DCI 1250...

I see some of my edits are missing from the OP. The M18V6 and the M21V5 are MIA.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
A 21" that can throw around 20mm one way, which is going to be at least 8db ahead of a PA460 down low. That is a lot of output for either headroom or savagery, your choice :) Edit: the M21V5 that went MIA is a very nice balance that is a little less volume to deal with and I overbuilt the rear chamber on that cabinet, that way it can handle things like the NSW chugging on an XLS 2502 or a bridged DCI 1250...

I see some of my edits are missing from the OP. The M18V6 and the M21V5 are MIA.
What's M21V5 and what's MIA?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,597
What's M21V5 and what's MIA?
That box has an 18Hz tune and is 40x25.5x26. great size and output in a package.

MIA is missing in action. The site transition might wreak some havoc on the Index. Two boxes I edited into the OP disappeared. The OP looks wildly different on my phone with Tapatalk vs Chris's phone, not sure what is going on with that.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
M21v5:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3094240-devastator-index-52.html#post59860050

MIA: Missing In Action.

John had some of his edits to the original post disappear. Its fixed now.

Chris
That box has an 18Hz tune and is 40x25.5x26. great size and output in a package.

MIA is missing in action. The site transition might wreak some havoc on the Index. Two boxes I edited into the OP disappeared. The OP looks wildly different on my phone with Tapatalk vs Chris's phone, not sure what is going on with that.
I didn't change anything in my post. Not sure what you mean. The only thing I changed is the FR I posted for raw response from 2dB diff to 5 to make it obvious of how they look without and with Dirac implementation.

Chris/Red Five, both of you mentioned that V3 has more Midbass output than V1. Does this M215V5 have more midbas than V1 as well. Also I like how V1 has the low end. Would this have the same characteristics? I love the size of it. Very similar to Mini Marty and will fit nicely in the back of my room.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I didn't change anything in my post. Not sure what you mean. The only thing I changed is the FR I posted for raw response from 2dB diff to 5 to make it obvious of how they look without and with Dirac implementation.

Chris/Red Five, both of you mentioned that V3 has more Midbass output than V1. Does this M215V5 have more midbas than V1 as well. Also I like how V1 has the low end. Would this have the same characteristics? I love the size of it. Very similar to Mini Marty and will fit nicely in the back of my room.

We’re referring to the main post of the index, not your post.

The m21v3 will have more midbass than the dev v1, due to the higher tune of the QW. This will be true of all the 40” variants when compared to the 48” v1.

They will have similar low end, the HCR resonator has freed up significant space for the rear chamber.
The m21v3 actually has a larger chamber than v1, but a lower tune.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
We’re referring to the main post of the index, not your post.

The m21v3 will have more midbass than the dev v1, due to the higher tune of the QW. This will be true of all the 40” variants when compared to the 48” v1.

They will have similar low end, the HCR resonator has freed up significant space for the rear chamber.
The m21v3 actually has a larger chamber than v1, but a lower tune.

Chris
Ok so now we have M21V3. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you are talking about this one right ?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3094240-devastator-index-38.html#post59562482
Then we have M21V5. We are clear at this point that I'll go with either M21V3 or V5. What's the diff b/w the two? they both look similar in size.
V3: HCR 40"x30"x26" 17Hz Tune
V5: HCR 40"x25.5"x26" 18Hz Tune
V5 is smaller is size so that's definite plus. Why would one choose V3 over V5 besides 17Hz to 18Hz tuned which I'm not concerned at all.

1581 - 1600 of 1870 Posts