AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1868 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Are you suggesting cutting the front open and putting a stopper in the QW? That would be the easiest thing.

Exactly. Plug the old mouth for looks. Qw and port will have space between, but should maintain the left corner and tune.

Chris

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,682
It does look pretty awesome actually lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,683 (Edited)
I used the preferred QW length of 36", response looks very good.

Slice the front open at 31.75 from the top of the cabinet, then make another cut 5" down from the first cut. Then PL 9"x5" MDF plugs into the QW so it sits flush with the bottom cut. Now you have a BMD with a Mini QW section!

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ok, that looks freaking awesome!!!! Is that the Shallow BMD modified into a MBM? I can knock that out in no time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,685
Now if you take that lower panel out and cut between the rails to open that section to the rear chamber and the refit the front panel you gain roughly 47 liters and knock the tune down to 18Hz or a little lower and that looks really good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,686
Ok, that looks freaking awesome!!!! Is that the Shallow BMD modified into a MBM? I can knock that out in no time.

This is retro fitting the current BMDs, you just need to cut them up a bit and glue it back together :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,687
You would want to cut this crap out and then panel that space back off. That way you are not wasting the area that was QW. Use it for your BR chamber!! Cutting out the baffle wall does not have to be perfect if you chose to do it down there, you just need most of it out of the way as not to make weird things happen. BR chambers are not all that picky thankfully.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,688 (Edited)
@tarponater I would use keep the BMDs full range. If you do all the mods they are basically Mini Devastators from [email protected]#$. They will give you a low boost and integrate well with the ported HS 24s tuned at 17Hz, but also give you headroom to EQ mid bass to your liking :)

Edit: this is 2000 watts, this thing is crusing. That is good output all over the pass band!

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've got some pretty large hole saws that I can use to open that section up good. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Red Five

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,690
I've got some pretty large hole saws that I can use to open that section up good. Thanks for the help!

Please take some pictures, we want to see this :)

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I tried to overlay both in photoshop. Interesting. Very interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,694
I tried to overlay both in photoshop. Interesting. Very interesting.

Each one of the designs has trade-offs, for the BMDs they sacrifice their mid bass to hit hard lower in the frequency range. The Minis and the Devastators are good at everything, but masters of nothing for the most part, a few Devastators dig lower than any of the other designs. Micros start giving up low end in exchange for space savings, but if you get them in large groups there is something to be said for the number of cones in a system. Ironically enough the Finalizer is the master of mastering nothing. If you do not care all that much about space and are looking for a balanced sub, it does everything well...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I still have time till the end of they year to build them in my new basement. But 4 of the new shallow ones behind the screen should be great. Ports just below and just above the screen, behind black transparent cloth. With a 11 foot ceiling just perfect.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I still have time till the end of they year to build them in my new basement. But 4 of the new shallow ones behind the screen should be great. Ports just below and just above the screen, behind black transparent cloth. With a 11 foot ceiling just perfect.

If you planned to build shallow from the beginning, the mouth can be at the bottom like normal. The driver will just be lower in the cab.

Chris

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you planned to build shallow from the beginning, the mouth can be at the bottom like normal. The driver will just be lower in the cab.

Chris
This is so interesting, I keep learning. Though a bit nervous to build my first one. The ported 21s I built seems so easy now.
Would the combination of 2 ported 21s @18z (12 cubic feet) be good to combine with 4 of these shallow dev's? Just in case i have fear of lack of bass :D I've built them so I could just add them in the room for safety. :)

Last thing i want though is difficult integration, I know it can be a PITA.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
This is so interesting, I keep learning. Though a bit nervous to build my first one. The ported 21s I built seems so easy now.
Would the combination of 2 ported 21s @18z (12 cubic feet) be good to combine with 4 of these shallow dev's? Just in case i have fear of lack of bass :D I've built them so I could just add them in the room for safety. :)

Last thing i want though is difficult integration, I know it can be a PITA.

Integration will be seamless, effectively same tune.

As for the combination, it will have very significant output. Do you need the super shallow depth?

John @Red Five, seems to like the response on this tall, shallow mini. He will probably finish up a design.

Chris

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,699 (Edited)
Integration will be seamless, effectively same tune.

As for the combination, it will have very significant output. Do you need the super shallow depth?

John @Red Five, seems to like the response on this tall, shallow mini. He will probably finish up a design.

Chris
One one of the upcoming boxes is the Devastator version 7 at 48x30x20 and 18Hz tuned. I think that is the one that is being referred to.

I have not played with an actual Mini front yet in the BMD form factor. The hatch position gets a bit weird and gets in the way of the port. Doing it this way gets around that problem and even opens up the top hatch option.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
One one of the upcoming boxes is the Devastator version 7 at 48x30x20 and 18Hz tuned. I think that is the one that is being referred to.

I have not played with an actual Mini front yet in the BMD form factor. The hatch position gets a bit weird and gets in the way of the port. Doing it this way gets around that problem and even opens up the top hatch option.

Ahh, gotcha. Changing cabinets mid-topic got me.

Integration and output comment still stands.

Chris

1681 - 1700 of 1868 Posts