Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just thought I'd share this with you in hopes of inspiring some of you folks in the pre-planning stages (or even later) of your HT's.

I've been flying without a net for the entire planning and construction phase of my HT and didn't realize how dangerous it's been. I say this because although I've done as much planning as I knew how to do and took into consideration as many things I had knowledge about, I just realized what a big mistake it was NOT to have a formal project plan in place.

Here I am thinking I'll have everything wrapped up by next week. I've been trying to keep track of all of the final steps of the plan in my head when it just got to be too much. So, being the anal retentive SOB that I usually am, I whip up a Microsoft Project Plan of the remaning items, you know, just so I can stay on top of who's doing what.

3 pages (PAGES!) and 102 tasks and sub-tasks later, I'm about to drop dead of a heart attack like that dragon-drawing artist did in Monty Python's Holy Grail flick. According to the dates I've got plugged in so far (and I don't even have them all tweaked yet), I'm looking at a finish date of 12/23.

Merry Christmas, I guess, eh?

So, in conclusion, for those of you that have access (no pun intended) to Microsoft Project or some other formal tracking tool, I'd strongly recommend you take a hard look at using it. It just may save you a call to 911 to have a meat wagon come and haul your butt away to the freezer in an over-sized zip lock bag.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ed,

I hear you. While I wasn't quite as anal retentative as you, I did draw up a plan of the tasks to be accomplished and the order in which they had to be done. I didn't want to miss anything or endup with drywall patching to do AFTER I had already painted. I turns out that planning is a good thing, however, since I am on schedule to be "finished" (can you ever really be finished?) on schedule for Christmas with maybe some time to spare!

Viking

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.