AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in buying the LT150 for a long time now, but the prices here in the EU have been way to high on this unit (around 4000$). The prices on it's clones are however much lower, and I'm seriously thinking of buying the Sharp PG-M10X.

I'm now wondering about the differences between these clones, and will it affect the picture quality even if I use a HTPC? The spec. indicates that they are the same, but I remember reading something about the LT150 being the better one. Can anyone explain this to me?

//Patrick

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I've owned the Sharp 10S, the LT 85 and the LT150.

The NECs (LT85 and 150) are considerably better. The clones are good, but the NEC are worth the price difference.

However, I don't use an HTPC. This based on progressive scan DVD and an iScan.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Photos

Today's Equipment List

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Prepare to enter the "Vortex" !!!! Seriously NEC's proprietary, patented Vortex technology provides better color and image quality than its clone. It does this through firmware but I'm not sure exactly how. Come visit US (now may not be a good time due to all the terrorism) and buy from here and take it home in your carryon. It's only $2350 here.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sure is a hard decision to make! I was hoping to read that there wasn't any significant difference between the LT150 at it's clones; damn you guys! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I remember reading something about the clones a couple of months ago (can't find the thread now though), and someone claimed that the "vortex feature" didn't do any difference when using a HTPC. If anyone has tried a HTPC with any of the clones, please post the results!

I have another "clone question" which I'm hoping someone can help me with. I had the opportunity to try out the LP350 a couple of days ago, and thought to myself that this would be the right time to try to see some rainbows (never seen them before when trying DLP). The LP350 was connected to a video source, and at first I didn't see anything. After a while there was a scene with very high contrasts, and that's when I saw my first rainbow. I now started to see rainbows more frequently (guess there is no way back now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ), but must say that this wasn't a problem at all. Rather rainbows than screendoor/dead pixels!

I am now wondering if the clones have the same "rainbow frequency" as the LT150 (which I'm hoping is lower than of the LP350?), and how do they compare to the LP350? I was very impressed with the LP350 (even if the source was only video) and I'm starting to understand why so many prefer DLP instead of LCD.

-------------------

Patrick J.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@ patrick

The NEC LT 150 and the LT85 are both clones of the PLUS u3 Series!

The only thing that NEC changes (as far as I know) was the Video-circuit, the ability to click off the Clear Colorwheelsegment and the Flash-Card-Slot!

The whole Lithe Engine is he same on all PLUS U3 Clones!

Beside the Colorwheeleffect (White segment) the picture on all These Machines should look very similar by using a HTPC!

Also my information about the Vortex stuff is that this Vortex Technology is only for resizing lower res and shrinking higher res images!

------------------

- juras -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.