1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Paint looks great! I would get some blackout cloth and blackout the window area behind the screen to eliminate the shadows on the floor from below the screen. This should also improve your picture at night as it will limit any light from below should that be an issue. I would also consider designing a piece of material covered in an ornate way to place on top of the screen to cover the top of the window should you wish to use the theater during the day (I would make it removable).

·
Registered
97 Posts
From an audio perspective, I would recommend that you move your front left and right speakers out of the corners. If the speakers are as black as they appear in the pictures, you may want to put them infront of the boarder of the screen. I am not sure exactly how wide your screen is, but if it is around 8 feet or more, that is plenty far apart. The same audio experts that would tell you to get your speakers of the side walls, (I don't pretend to be an audio experts. This is advice I've read over and over again, and have never heard it disputed.), would also say to move them off the back wall. I believe 2 or 3 feet is best. Usually the practical limit is determined by your spouse's tolerance. Just food for thought.

Carl

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice Hank and Carl!

I will work on both of your suggestions and report back what I do. The screen is easily removable now as it sits on the window ledge and has cabinet magnets on the top to hold it to the wall. I have always put my speakes in the corners because nobody ever told me different, but I am going to move them out and see how much difference it makes. I am going to have to try to get something to fill in the empty corners if they stay out of the corners...

Thank you!

Todd

·
Registered
533 Posts
Are the seats in the back row, second picture, located on a raised platform? I do not see any foot rest in front of those seats and I would like to inquire as to the comfort of such an arrangement since I have a space saving issue in my room.

Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it is elevated, but is a reclining sofa so it does not need footrests. It is really a comfortable setup for us. The elevation platform is made with 2"x12" 's and has bass shakers installed in both sides.

Todd

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I think the colour choice is very good and the matching of floor, sofas, and walls is excellent. Wish I had that artistic touch. Maybe I will let my wife do this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The room still seems pretty "alive". Any suggestions for decrorative/appropriate treatments to get the room accoustically more acceptable? The front speaker placement, as suggested earlier, worked well for sound quality. Thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very nice paint image. Makes me go "hmmmm".
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Schuitema

Yes, it is elevated, but is a reclining sofa so it does not need footrests. It is really a comfortable setup for us. The elevation platform is made with 2"x12" 's and has bass shakers installed in both sides.

Todd
Questions on the bass shakers -

Are you using the generic term, or are you refering to Aura Bass Shakers? How many? What's the amp for them? Are they effective enough in the platform (as opposed to inside the sofa)?

Why do I ask? I'm thinking about placing some Bass Shakers under the floor, either attached to the joists or directly to the bottom of the floor structure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Convert,

They are the inexpensive Aura Bass Shakers. The platform has 2 mounted to it. They do well in this configuration powered by the Aura amps that are up front with speaker cable connecting them. I have tried mounting below the floor in a previous install, and do not recommend it. They just are not powerful enough top go through floor, carpet, and finally into the seating area. I can only imagine what a Buttkicker must do with 500-750 watts of power! The Auras are plenty for me, I let my sub produce what I want to hear and the shakers produce what I want to feel.

Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.