3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindizzle /forum/post/0

Discuss.

I'll pass... too easy.

·
Registered
867 Posts
shocking...(how many times has this happened so far? We should really have some sort of official count

When is the digital bits going to stop being a cheerleader and opinion poster and go back to doing what they are supposed to do? That would be making industry announcements, title release dates, and disc reviews?

It would be nice to read actual news reporting instead of biased opinions and soapbox moments once in a while. That's called journalism for those who don't realize that (ie Bill).

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
I've lost track of how many bash bill threads we've had, but a fresh one started today not long ago in the HD-DVD forum. Good amusement for reading all the double talk from HD-DVD fans though

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/0

I've lost track of how many bash bill threads we've had, but a fresh one started today not long ago in the HD-DVD forum. Good amusement for reading all the double talk from HD-DVD fans though

Heaven forfend the rantings of a shills be scrutinized

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bill's editorial is great. He's just laying out the facts, reasonably and accurately, and coming to the obvious conclusion. He's gone out on a limb and made a stand here, and I thank him for it.

HD DVD supporters need to face the unpleasant truth sooner or later, and sadly it seems most of them would rather face it later.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One /forum/post/0

Bill's editorial is great. He's just laying out the facts, reasonably and accurately, and coming to the obvious conclusion. He's gone out on a limb and made a stand here, and I thank him for it.

HD DVD supporters need to face the unpleasant truth sooner or later, and sadly it seems most of them would rather face it later.

It's a fact that one is going to win over the other? This forum seems to have thousands of posts over the last three-four years that seriously negate that as a fact. Do mods read these forums anymore?

Bill went on the defensive about something that he has claimed he, and his readers, should stay neutral on until one format was decided. What happened to that? As soon as someone with the same level of internet fanboy stroke finally picked HD-dvd to win Bill needs to post a defensive rant on his site and decides to back Blu-Ray?

·
Registered
212 Posts
After the drivel that appeared on AICN, someone needed to step up to the plate and publicly denounce Harry Knowles' idiotic ramblings - well done Bill!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX /forum/post/0

Bill went on the defensive about something that he has claimed he, and his readers, should stay neutral on until one format was decided. What happened to that? As soon as someone with the same level of internet fanboy stroke finally picked HD-dvd to win Bill needs to post a defensive rant on his site and decides to back Blu-Ray?

Just to be clear, I think it was months ago that Bill came out and said that he was backing Blu-ray. He even called for people to petition Universal to pretty much end the war. I believe that he is telling the truth when he says that what he wants is what he has pretty much wanted all along, one format and no war, and it seems pretty clear that he believes backing Blu-ray is the way the achieve that desire. Whether he is right or wrong is another matter, but I believe that is what has gotten him to back Blu-ray so strongly.

--Darin

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0

Just to be clear, I think it was months ago that Bill came out and said that he was backing Blu-ray. He even called for people to petition Universal to pretty much end the war. I believe that he is telling the truth when he says that what he wants is what he has pretty much wanted all along, one format and no war, and it seems pretty clear that he believes backing Blu-ray is the way the achieve that desire. Whether he is right or wrong is another matter, but I believe that is what has gotten him to back Blu-ray so strongly.

--Darin

I hope for his sake that if HD-dvd starts selling more units, once again, he decides to petition Fox, Disney, Sony and LG to support HD-dvd. Sadly I have a feeling he would never do so.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:

I hope for his sake that if HD-dvd starts selling more units, once again, he decides to petition Fox, Disney, Sony and LG to support HD-dvd. Sadly I have a feeling he would never do so.

He probably knows that it will take a lot to get Sony to go neutral. If Fox, Disney, and LG went neutral and HD DVD was selling significantly better, I would expect Bill to start petitioning Sony to go neutral if he thought it was the quickest way to one format having all the major studios. Basically, it seems to me that it has been clear for a while that Bill really wants one format. He has railed against the whole format war and called for one format a long time ago, from what I recall.

In all seriousness, do you think that a petition of those 4 studios that include Sony (who is banking on Blu-ray and would probably fire multiple people if they had to go neutral) would be nearly as likely to work as a petition of Universal to go neutral? If so, do you think Universal has nearly the stake in this game that Sony does? Asking Sony to go neutral is like asking Toshiba to go neutral. Bill was petitioning Universal and I didn't see him petitioning Toshiba. Probably because he was enough of a realist to know that petitioning Toshiba to go neutral would be worthless, just as we should be realistic enough to know that petitioning Sony to go neutral at this point would be worthless.

--Darin

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:

It's a fact that one is going to win over the other? This forum seems to have thousands of posts over the last three-four years that seriously negate that as a fact. Do mods read these forums anymore?

Wow, what's this? Are you seriously calling the mods on me? Geez, way to overreact there. Unbelievable.

Blu-ray winning is the conclusion Bill reached, not a fact in itself. The facts I referred to from Bill's editorial are inarguable things like Blu-ray having much more studio support, more manufacturer support, better sales, etc.

Also, are you seriously saying that whether a format wins or loses can be determined by the number of forum posts it receives?

Quote:

darinp2 responded nicely to this, so I'll just say that I agree with him.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The HDDVD format is running out of "Friends" No thanks to the plants they have here if I may add.

Time to throw in the towel...It's sad when your opponent doesn't even aknowledge you are in the ring with them.

They should start talks with the BDA to try and get some time of inclusion into the BD spec for like recordable media or something so they can save face, kinda like how years after diVx died, you started seeing it pop up on DVD players as a codec it could read.

This time next year it will be HD-D who?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Bill has concluded that 0) both formats are technically acceptable, 1) the format war needs to end to increase adoption and content, and 2) HD DVD cannot win but can cause a stalemate.

I pretty much agree with him.

HD DVD is putting on a big push right now with lower prices and lots of Universal catalog titles. If the BDA responds, they will still win. If the BDA does not, then we may have a stalemate. It is conceivable but not likely that HD DVD can pull it out.

Bill's biggest fear is that both formats lose out to downloading. I used to think this was absurd but am beginning to think otherwise. The studios seem to secretly want hard media to go away and are really intrigued by downloading.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/0

Bill's biggest fear is that both formats lose out to downloading. I used to think this was absurd but am beginning to think otherwise. The studios seem to secretly want hard media to go away and are really intrigued by downloading.

The studios were also enamored with DIVX, we all saw how that turned out.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0

They should start talks with the BDA to try and get some time of inclusion into the BD spec for like recordable media or something so they can save face, kinda like how years after diVx died, you started seeing it pop up on DVD players as a codec it could read.

This time next year it will be HD-D who?

DIVX and Divx have absolutely nothing to do with each other besides common spelling.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/0

DIVX and Divx have absolutely nothing to do with each other besides common spelling.

hmm my portable dvd player plays the codec,

also in the settings under divx i see an area where you put in an access code,

I never personally played with DIVX Always thought that it was one in the same.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0

hmm my portable dvd player plays the codec,

also in the settings under divx i see an area where you put in an access code,

I never personally played with DIVX Always thought that it was one in the same.

DIVX (note the all caps) was the DVD style format that Circuit city came up with.

Divx is a compression codec like VC-1 and AVC. It's based off of Mpeg-4. Divx
was the original codec that was a hacked version of microsoft's Mpeg-4 and then Divx (no winking smiley) came out of that and created a legal version. It's the compression codec that so many re-encoded dvd's are put into to create 700 meg to 1.4 gig video files.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.