AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bill got some valid points woven into plain propaganda, which is pretty standard for him im afraid.

"Meanwhile, on the Blu-ray side, Stan Glasgow (the president of Sony Electronics) has made recent press statements to the effect that the company's Blu-ray players could drop to as low as $299 by the holidays this year." dated February 2007

It would also be a pretty significant change of course from Glasgow's interview with CNET in January, where he said he didn't think Blu-ray players would hit $299 for another three years.

Stan Glasgow (in January): "If you go back to when DVDs came into play, it took about three years until they got into price points of $299 to $399. I suspect it's about the same thing here with Blu-ray. "

Wow, Stan Glasgow really changed his mind fast there didnt he? You got to be pretty uncritical to love that bs and even quote it.

This is just one example of Bill Hunt's amazingly uncritical unhealthy relationship with the BDA.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Wow his "endorsement" looks like it was written by the BDA. It had all the talking points covered.

Perhaps mspeed6 is now on Bill's staff

·
Registered
275 Posts
How can some of you disagree with this?

Quote:
We simply CANNOT and WILL NOT recommend to our readers that they adopt a format that only has the full support of just ONE major hardware manufacturer and ONLY A HANDFUL of the Hollywood studios - no matter how cheap the price - when a format of EQUAL quality and FAR GREATER studio and manufacturer support exists.

Sounds pretty logical to me.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Nuts, now I have to go out and buy some more HD DVDs! It is probably good news for HD DVD that Bill Hunt aways has and always will support BD (a little spin on this is what's expected, isn't it?). His endorsement has inspired me to support HD VD more than ever! I hate someone telling me what to do. His claims of being unbiased (at one point and coming on here and reaffirming that) were amusing. The cheaper HD DVD players are, the less risk for consumers, the more they buy and the more chance for more studio support. The real Bill Hunt has finally strood up - finally this guy is being completely honest about his long held (IMO) views. The charade is finally over. It must really gall this guy that this forum heavily supports HD DVD.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Please, guy is a an overblown fanyboy who simply wants BR to win, always has....he points to all the obvious angles that prove BR is winnng NOW, but simply refuses to acknowledge the fact that the coming cheap players will affect the war (you just saw a glimpse of it, with roughly 10x the players being sold in the blink of an eye - guess that put a bit of a scare into ol Bill), so much so that even BR will follow that print themselves (funai), in fact, he has the stones to suggest this will HURT HD-DVD, gimmie a break. He says no major manufacturers will want to join HD-DVD if cheap Chinese players hit...they seem to have no problems with it in the SD world. =/

This whole war thing reminds me of a fighter who is clearly winning a bout by the middle rounds but has no knockout power, never has, and cannot knockout his opponent, who he KNOWS has planned all along to take the fight to the later rounds...and here's the problem, the fighter (Sony) doesn't get to simply look over at the ref and say "I want to stop now, I'm winning, can't you stop this now, I don't want to go more rounds, where I know he's got a plan for me."

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but...

That rant sounds pretty defensive, especially at a time when Toshiba standalone sales are seeing nice boosts due to price reductions.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils /forum/post/0

Please, guy is a an overblown fanyboy who simply wants BR to win, always has....he points to all the obvious angles that prove BR is winnng NOW, but simply refuses to acknowledge the fact the the coming cheap players will affect the war, so much so that even BR will follow that print themselves (funai), in fact, he has the stones to suggest this will HURT HD-DVD, gimmie a break. =/

This whole war thing reminds me of a fighter who is clearly winning a bout by the middle rounds but has no knockout power, never has, and cannot knockout his opponent, who he KNOWS has planned all along to take the fight to the later rounds...and here's the problem, the fighter (Sony) doesn't get to simply look over at the ref and say "I want to stop now, I'm winning, can't you stop this now, I don't want to go more rounds, where I know he's got a plan for me."

And who are you? Consumers decide what to buy, you have to see just wait and see sometimes.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. /forum/post/0

And who are you? Consumers decide what to buy, you have to see just wait and see sometimes.

Thats my point - but Bill Hunt doesn't seem to want to wait now does he?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can any of you HD DVD fans counter any of Bill Hunt's points, or is the only thing you guys are going to do is just say how much of a fanboy he is and how HD DVD will certainly win the format war? Thus far, I've only seen HD DVD fanatics scream bloody murder over how someone could side with Blu Ray over HD DVD, but no one has actually countered the points he made in his editorial.

Quote:
We simply CANNOT and WILL NOT recommend to our readers that they adopt a format that only has the full support of just ONE major hardware manufacturer and ONLY A HANDFUL of the Hollywood studios - no matter how cheap the price - when a format of EQUAL quality and FAR GREATER studio and manufacturer support exists.

I ask again, can anyone counter this, and say how this is biased and irrational? Hell, he even calls Blu Ray equal quality with HD DVD. Is he lying when he says HD DVD has one major hardware manufacturer and a handful of studios? Is he lying when he says Blu Ray has far greater studio and manufacturer support?

Guys, he's really just spitting out facts. It's just a shame that so many of you guys are ragging on him for what basically amounts to a culmination of a bunch of objective facts to form a rational and sensible approach to the format war.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surfer Dude /forum/post/0

Can any of you HD DVD fans counter any of Bill Hunt's points, or is the only thing you guys are going to do is just say how much of a fanboy he is and how HD DVD will certainly win the format war? Thus far, I've only seen HD DVD fanatics scream bloody murder over how someone could side with Blu Ray over HD DVD, but no one has actually countered the points he made in his editorial.

I ask again, can anyone counter this, and say how this is biased and irrational? Hell, he even calls Blu Ray equal quality with HD DVD. Is he lying when he says HD DVD has one major hardware manufacturer and a handful of studios? Is he lying when he says Blu Ray has far greater studio and manufacturer support?

Guys, he's really just spitting out facts. It's just a shame that so many of you guys are ragging on him for what basically amounts to a culmination of a bunch of objective facts to form a rational and sensible approach to the format war.

Yes I can dispute it!

Buy both formats!!!

This is classic Bill. Toshiba has some good news, and an op ed appears.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.