AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I'm still messing with this DirectTV thing. But I am...

I have a Oval dish I put up this afternoon - had 101 in the 90's in about two minutes. But - NO Signal at ALL on 119!. I have tried the following:

- Move the dish - rotate left right, up down, skew - No 119

- Swapped the lnb from 119 over to 101 and got the signal no problem.

- Threw a wrench at a tree

None of these tactics has helped. I suppose I could have bad switch (this is a RCA/Channel Master 4x4 6904IFD mounted to the back of the Dish). It has inputs for A and B - 2 each and four outputs.

Surely I should get some signal from 119 if I have 90-95 on 101, right?? This really is getting absurd - 5 dishes hanging off my garage and surrounding trees and still no HDNET.

Any ideas if my switch diagnosis sounds likely? Is it possible to get sucha strong signal on 101 and get 0 on 119?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Just to make sure:

-Is the tilt set correctly? (very important in getting both 101 and 119)

-Any major obsructions?

-Have you tried using a seperate dish for the 119 bird? (don't remember the site for coordinates)

-Also try different inputs on the multiswitch to see if its that.

hope this helps somewhat.

PS-make sure you have the right settings on the receiver for dish pointing.

------------------
Mitsubishi WS-55805

2 RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

Technics SA-DX940

Sony Playstation 2
s>

·
Registered
322 Posts
Make sure the mounting post is absolutely vertical. I couldn't get both satellites until I used a plumb bob (nut on a string tied to a popsicle stick) to get mine straight up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ragedogg,

I tried setting the tilt to the setting given in my DST-3000 and also tried the different one listed on the RCA site - no luck. I will try the different inputs...

Ken - I used a magnetic angle finder on three side of the post and it is as close as it gets. I don't think it is that.

DId you guys find that you could get a good signal on one sat and absolutely nothing on the other - due to skew or nonplumb post? Seems I would get some reading even if things were off a little...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Could be a number of things. I could write a book listing them all. My suggestion would be a search in the HD hardware archives and current threads. You are not alone. Hundreds of people have had the same problem.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Many people take the receiver, with a power cord and a small TV, up onto the roof. This can ease testing and also eliminate the lengthy cable to the inside from your testing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
Many people take the receiver, with a power cord and a small TV, up onto the roof. This can ease testing and also eliminate the lengthy cable to the inside from your testing.

I use a wireless phone in front of a speaker to transmit the tune-tone and my cell phone, with a head set, on the roof to listen to the tone while I move the antenna. If posible I have someone on the ground to go inside and switch satellite feeds with the remote control.

Man, I hate that roof. Some day, I hope, there'll be an automated way to do this...what am I saying...there is an automated way, it's called debit/credit card.

If I could, I'd put the dish next to the LazyBoy.

------------------

Tom Smith

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi!

I had the same problem. Turns out the 119 satellite is lower in the sky than the 101.

From where I live (Baltimore)the 119 Satellite is at an elevation of less than 30 degrees (25 I think) while the 101 satellite is at 38 degrees.

Perhaps the line of sight for the 119 satellite is obstructed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you suspect the multiswitch, remove the multiswitch and directly connect with the 101 satelite. Se sure you can get a channel on the 101 bird. Switch the working cable to the 119 connector and keep trying. If you can test the multiswitch out at a friends installation, it's can't hurt. Best of luck, it's worth it once you get the satellite.

BTW: This took me two hours one late evening. At least my roof is kind of flat.

-=-

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Asunc,

I know how you feel.

Did the same thing nearly falling off the roof.

Connecting 119 direct (no switch, barrel connector) is the first item.

Next, my problem was at one end of the house I was obstructed, the other end a few feet up I wasn't. Got 101 rock solid on each end, but if you can imagine it was bad for the person in Maryland, it's much worse in New England. Elevation makes a big difference.

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

If 119 is that low it could be my problem. I will first try a direct connection with the cable and then try to move the dish higher - I am shooting over some trees.

thanks again... I'll let everyone know what happens..

·
Registered
20 Posts
The best thing you can do is to scrap the oval dish. They do work, but very poorly! They were designed to offer a compact set-up and thus its has severe trade offs. When I used a oval set-up, I was only able to achieve a max of 79 on the 101 sat and a max of 58 on the 119 sat. If I tweaked and tweaked I could get 1 to go higher while the other one dropped lower and vice-versa. I left it this way for almost 6 months before I got tired of the rain, cloud, and wind fade. I put 2 separate 18" dishes up with a multi-switch that also included an antennae input for diplexing up. I now get 96 on the 101 sat and 86 on the 119 sat. It may not look as clean as the oval, but it out performs it. I painted both dishes and all the hardware except the white caps on the LNB's to match my home trim. Next I am going to pick up a 24" or 30" dish just for the 119 sat so I can pull more signal in for even less reception problems. I still get the "Searching for Sat signal" every so often on the HD channels. Best of luck with the oval dish as they are way over-priced and truly not worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
If properly installed, the oval dish works just fine. I get 92 on 101 and 87 on 119. I am receiving my signal through a tree. Use a level when installing the mast. It MUST be level on all sides. Then just set the dish to the assigned coordinates ON THE GROUND. Then mount the dish on the mast and tweak from there. If you do not do things exactly as instructed, you will have problems. This is not rocket science. You have to have some patience and make sure you are doing things the correct way. Read the instruction manual before doing anything. Then read it again. Then do your install.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
929 Posts
First let me echo everything that Kipp said above....I all has to straight and plumb. Be very careful about the cables that go from the LNB's to the switch. When I put mine up I thought that I had the same problem that you have and removed the LNB cable from the 101 and hooked it up to the received cable directly. I got 90+ signals. I then hooked up one of the 119 cables to the receiver and got 0. Just on a lark I took the other 119 cable (from the other port on the LNB) and hooked it up directly. I got a 85+! After looking at all of the connections I found that at the LNB end the center pin of the coaxial cable had bent over and was not in its hole on the connector. After I fixed this all was well. These RG59 cables that come with the dish are cheep and fragile. I had another connector back off. Best of luck.

Todd

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lisnup65:
The best thing you can do is to scrap the oval dish. They do work, but very poorly! They were designed to offer a compact set-up and thus its has severe trade offs.
I used to believe this but apparently their are people that have no problems signal-wize with the oval dish.

Check out my post: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/016746.html

------------------
Mitsubishi WS-55805

2 RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

Technics SA-DX940

Sony Playstation 2
s>

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just to offer some solidarity to the suffering brothers, hehe. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get this right the first time too.

Are you sure you are pointing at 101 not 110 or 119? You can tell by checking the working transponders (101 has transponders 1-32 on, 110 has 8,10, and 12, 119 has 22-32). Notice that you must check the transponders through the switch port for the 101 LNB. For example, if I point the 119 LNB at the 101 satellite, the receiver will only show active transponders on 22-32 because it already knows those are turned off on 101. this would explain your problem since it looks like you have a lock on 101 but you actually locked onto a different bird and now your 119 LNB is pointed in the wrong direction.

Also, most users here will tell you that you usually can get a better signal if you increase the elevation a bit over what your receiver suggests. From your location the 119 satellite is really low in the sky (like 23-25 degrees). So your elevation is going to have to be a little more precise than those of us that live further south.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Forgive me if someone has already suggested this, but here is a trick I discovered to test if your 4x4 is switching to the SatB LNB (119).

1) Align your dish to get a strong 101 signal

2) Unplug the 2 SatA LNB cables from the 4x4's SatA input

3) Plug the 2 SatA LNB cables into the SatB input on the 4x4

4) Check the receiver's 119 signal strength (be sure to check 22-32)

If you get a signal on transponders 22-32 it means that the 4x4 multiswitch is responding to the 22KHz signal.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Steve

[This message has been edited by Easley (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had the same problem and resorted to using two seperate dishes (At one time I had three on my house, my neighbors loved it!)

I am still having trouble and have not ready to give up. Here is my situation. I recently updgraded to a Sony Sat-HD100 sat receiver to get HD on the 119 Sat.

The installer was not able to get both signals from both sats at the same time. We had to use the existing round dish on the side of my house for the 101 signal. The ellip dish is mounted on the front side of the house at the top eve. At this current time I am receiving the 119 signal through my Sony. The installer told me that if I want to get the 101 Sat I needed to hookup a 2nd cable to my 101 dish LNB and run it into the switch input for the 101 sat. (I am still using the other side of the LNB for my old RCA receiver that runs my TIVO).

Here is the problem: When I connection the 101 Sat to the switch I get these screen messages: 199 - Call Customer Service for ordering information x721" 509 - "Program not available in your area." Now I get all of the programs that I am supposed to get on the 101 sat but not able to get the two HD channels. If I disconnect the 101 from the swtich everything works fine but I don't get the 101 channels.

I have replaced the switch and get different messages 199 & 509 - "Channel not available"

I called a different Sat installer and he told me that the problem is that I need to run both 101 leads to the switch and hook up the Sony receiver and the RCA receiver to the swtich??? - not sure why this would matter - I have not tried this since the cabling is attached to my house and would have to rewire everything with no guarantee it would work.

I have called numerous times to Tech support and they run all of these tests. No avail. I've spoken with programming and they have reset my card, taken all programming off and then reapplied it. NADA! They have no idea. All they can say is that they will have to send a tech out??

I want the 101 programming so that I can watch something else when it records and IT PISSES ME OFF WHEN I CAN'T FIX A PROBLEM!!!

If some of the experts can assist me in some ideas I would love it!

Thanks again in advance,

Brian L. Scott

1-800-681-2628

------------------

Denon 2801 Receiver

M&K 125 Speakers

Panasonic CT36HX40

Sony TIVO Receiver

Sony Sat-HD100

RCA Sat Receiver

Sony DVD Player

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Brian,

You can run a single reciever on a single 101 Dual LNB feed. You can even switch 101 & 119 from a single feed from each to a cheap ($19) 22 kHz switch.

However, if you want to run more than two receivers this way or more than two off a Dual LNB pointed at 101 you need to run both leads to the switch and both 119 leads to the same switch. This will give you 101 & 119 on each feed to receivers even if you are connecting to a non-Plus STB (it doesn't hurt anything to do that).

For as many receivers as you have this sounds like the solution, understand you'll need some rewiring. You could also get 101 on the elliptical (easiest for us here in the Northeast) and leave the other dish to existing receivers.

I may not be following that good without a diagram.

Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.