AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks I promised to post the news here when I got it. As you have seen my server has been getting hit hard for people seeking the news.

The news has nothing to do with HDTV at all...

Below is the respost of what I just posted at SatelliteGuys.

Enjoy.

Quote:
Ok a lot of folks have been wondering about the big news. I finally just heard from my contact who couldnt really talk, however he did tell me something that we have speculated on for a long time here at SatelliteGuys.

It appears that DirecTV is planning on rolling out "A DVR in Every Home" where all DirecTV customers will be upgraded to a DirecTV DVR. I was told that this DVR will not use TIVO, however it will use software from News Corp. I was told this DVR will have NO MONTHLY DVR FEES. I was also told that the users will have the option to upgrade to better TIVO based software for a monthly charge.

The new units will have additional hardware such as 8psk which would let DirecTV offer more channels with their existing bandwidth.

No word on if this upgrade will cost the customers anything.

I am not sure if this is the news that will make Charlie Head Spin, but there you have it.

More as I have it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it's true that theres no charge for making the upgrades (including the installation of a second line to each receiver), this is staggering news! I've always wanted a DVR w/o monthly fees :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
While this may not seem to help those of us that like to stay more closely to the cutting edge, it should help get D* more customers which would eventually be beneficial to the rest of us.

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK, but is it real? Why hasn't D* announced it? "Contacts" can say anything they want with no consequences.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
This sounds familiar. Wasn't this battered around during CES?
I read things similar to this before Murdoch got control of DirecTV.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
This sounds familiar. Wasn't this battered around during CES?
Yeah, it's been discussed a little bit here and there. There's one small thread about it here .

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Wasn't there just a press release the other day saying that Directv did not award the DVR contract to NDS, but to Tivo?? But the software will not be TIVO?

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
LOL... Here! Here! We had the SA DVR for a couple of months while we were in an apartment waiting for the house to be built. It even pissed off my wife it was so bad. She likes TiVo. She understands how it works and that pretty much settles it. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hmmm.

The details on this will be interesting, especially with respect to HDTV. Will there be a non-Tivo HD DVR available? The move to 8psk would free bandwidth for more HD, but only if they swap out the existing HD receivers, like my two RCA DTC100's.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

John C.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by whsbuss
Me too. Especially when the HD-DVR becomes available.
careful buying into technology that may not support any of the new features that Mr Murdoch is thinking about. At least wait to see what's just over the hill first aka wait for the DTV press release before you say I'm buying a HD-TiVo no matter what, You just maybe left behind.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was just talking about this with the wife. I was ready to jump on an HDTiVo and we just decided we needed to wait until D* decides what the hell they're doing.

WOnder if they just plan on using 8psk for LIL on the spot beams???

·
Banned
972 Posts
It better not make any noise with these new Tivos with the 8psk, if it does, i will be pissed.

likes it makes noise with Dishnetwork recievers.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I don't see 8PSK as a HUGE issue... it's been rumored that at least some of the current HD boxes are already quietly 8PSK compatible. And it's certainly not a HUGE difference bandwidth-wise. But if there is to be a major STB changeout, I'd certainly expect a LOT more to be done than just 8psk compatibility.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Why is 8psk so significant, what does it do ? A short answer would be just fine

thx

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
It provides more bandwidth out of a transponder. The gross difference is the difference between 60Mbps and 40Mbps, BUT, 8PSK is also more sensitive to noise and attenuation, so more error correction is needed, negating some of that benefit. The net usable difference is more like 40Mbps vs. 35Mbps. But that advantage will vary depending on the transmission power.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.