AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that when and if dish network and directv merge, they say they will replace all the equiptment out there at no cost to the consumers, within 24 months. My question is: If I go out today and buy an expensive directv, HDTV RECEIVER will they replace such an expensive receiver or are we all out of luck, and just get a standard replacement??

ANY THOUGHT ON THIS

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
They have not said they would replace the equipment within 24 months. They have said comparable equipment at no cost -- when or if it's needed.

I can't imagine why you'd buy an expensive DirecTV HD receiver when the DTC-100 does everything and can be had for much less.

But whatever you buy, you'll get a comparable replacement, whatever that means.

Mark

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vid53
will they replace such an expensive receiver or are we all out of luck, and just get a standard replacement??
Good question. But as for me and other Dish HD users, we're already going to get an HD receiver replacement or our current one will work. So, this potential merger has kept me from HD Net as I would have otherwise bought a Direct TV setup. Not that I haven't been tempted, in spite of it being a poor investment.

I am quite ambivalent, since I would love HD baseball this summer! But I could end up with two HD receivers for the same programming... Perhaps I could find use for them both...

-Tim

Thinking out loud...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Justification for this merger is bogus. Bandwidth is not a problem, as several satellite companies have been forced out of business.

If this goes through, the resulting company will be forced to sell most DirecTV assets, and lay off the slowest 50% of staff in both companies.

One provider of ANYTHING is NEVER better than two.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't want to EVER see this merger happen! IMHO the only reason that prices for satellite service are as low as they are is because of the competition between DISH and DirecTV. When the only competitor is the cable companies, what is to stop the satellite provider from cranking up prices to just stay competitive with the current cable rates. Cable companies in my area have never been bashful about raising rates on a frequent basis.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Come on you guys. Satellite is a direct competitor to cable right now. They price their service accordingly. Anybody that says bandwidth is not a problem for them just doesn't understand the current situation.

ron

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Oy vey, take this anti-merger babble elsewhere. Please.

Mark

·
Registered
824 Posts
While Charlie could change his mind, this is what he told analysts on 10/29/2001 about who would pay for new HDTV receivers:

"Having said all that you look at that and probably believe that that is in the neighborhood of a two billion dollar transition realizing that it probably cost you a little more than that but consumers will pay for PVR devices or high definition and there will be natural churn where people will roll off so while your cost is higher than that your net-net out of pocket is less than two billion. "

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Amazing that you took that out of context and distorted it's meaning. He is *not* saying if you own a PVR or HD receiver you will get screwed. He is saying that people who own regular, vanilla receivers will upgrade *on their own* to HD or PVR receivers. Therefore, Dish wouldn't have to replace their vanilla for free.

Again, please take this anti-merger babble and distorted propaganda elsewhere.

Mark

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Oy vey, take this anti-merger babble elsewhere. Please.

Mark
I'm sorry. I must have missed the announcement that revoked our freedom of speech.:rolleyes:

I could just as easily tell you to take your Charlie "love dribble" elsewhere. Not everyone here is in favor of this merger and if you think differently then you are in for a rude awakening.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Why don't you guys go meet in a parking lot some where and duke it out? ie not on our nice pleasant forum.

I always figured that if us HD receiver owners got screwed there would be a class action suit. In fact I kind of figured it would be a good way to get some free hardware in a couple of years....

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I was leaning toward supporting the merger but I have reconsidered. Charlie has added no new HD offerings since the merger was proposed. He keeps saying "We will be able to do this if the merger is approved" when in fact his new satelites will allow it. If this is the type of hardball he plays I think two DBS companies would be better.

Also with the new bit encoding and MPEG4 or improved MPEG2, their ability to add HD and other services will improve and it makes the merger not really necessary.

I feel that if most cities have cable plus two DBS providers there will be more real competition and the television industry will be better for it.

Just my opinion.

Rick R

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This forum is to discuss HDTV hardware. I don't love Charlie, by the way. I think he is arrogant, a burn-the-bridges negotiator, and a purveyor of a horrendous-quality signal. But the merger is logical and inevitable. And, much more important than my or your opinion, it is going to happen.

Take the anti-merger blather elsewhere, to a forum where its discussion is approrpiate. This is not that forum (maybe the DBS forum here if you want?).

Oh, and the notion that AVS Forum applies free speech as conceived in the U.S. Constitution is comical.

Mark

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
I was leaning toward supporting the merger but I have reconsidered. Charlie has added no new HD offerings since the merger was proposed.

Rick R
Which new channels are available that Charlie could have added? HDNet isn't available to Dish. I believe Charlie's real test will come in June when Discovery HD goes online. If he adds it on the day it starts, great. If not, well then Charlie should be flagellated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Jerry said:
Quote:
HDNet isn't available to Dish
Hasn't MC disputed this? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that he said he not locked into Direct.

One other thing (SD releated) Charlie could do is carry the YES network. Why can Direct can do it but Dish can't?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Quote:
Hasn't MC disputed this? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that he said he not locked into Direct.
The above may be out of context but here is what Jeff Cuban said at CES: I'm Paraphrasing because I did not stick a tape recorder in his face nor take shorthand when he told me this:

Mark is not locked into any exclusivity with DirecTV. He is negotiating with many other MSO's will be talking to Dish Network as well. Understand that DirecTV offers certain sports exclusives that HDNet can have and these will not be available through other carriers. Look for additional HDNet channels to come later this year. At this time Mark wants to wait and see what is going to happen with the merger before beginning discussion of any talks with Dish because if Dish acquires DirecTV Dish Network will be a done deal anyway. The other channels will be different than what you currently see on HDNet on 199 because of these DirecTV sports rights they have that other don't.

OK you can accept that or make up your own story to match what you think will happen but that is what Jeff told me. So far, everything he said seems to be slowly happening with announcements from Mark about the additional channels and working to get HDNet on cable throughout the country. Bottom line- DirecTV does not own Mark Cuban!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that Don. I couldn't remember the details surrounding the issue.

You'd think enough time has elapsed for the politicians to decide one way or the other. We need a political enema, to flush em' out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tillman
You'd think enough time has elapsed for the politicians to decide one way or the other.
At his last conference call with analysts, Charlie said that he expected a decision from the FCC by October and a decision by Justice before the FCC decision. He did not say anything about the threatened legal action by some states or what effect that might have on merger plans.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It was asked what additional HD is available to Dish?

Of the few cable companies that carry HD, most carry HBO and SHO east and west. Dish only carries HBO and SHO east. Both of these channels put their best movie of the day on at 8:00 PM and that is 5:00 PM here on the west coast and not convenient. Dish hasen't even bothered to put HBO and SHO west on their west coast 148 satellite. They are doing one of the better jobs in HD but they are NOT putting on all the HD available.

Rick R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.