AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should probably have posted this last night, but was anyone else checking out The District?

This show is built for HDTV. Craig Nelson's character is always wearing colorful vests and ties. Last night's episode also blew me away with all the close-ups. The actress playing his daughter had amazing eyes. You really notice the difference in eye color among the various actors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I saw it last night. One of the first shows I ever watched in HDTV. Yes her eyes were very nice. I have never seen that actress before but she is nice to look at :p

·
Registered
411 Posts
Unlike some other shows the producers of The District have always had great lighting for everything that is important to the plot. That includes the actors.

In comparison the producers of Hack seem to feel that the dark of the night should not be bright, which challenges HD viewers that prefer otherwise. Just an opinion.

Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
I must agree. I think that the resolution and color processing used by the production company that does "The District" is the best on television. It seems the color film processing may be the key. They may push it one or two stops to get the finished product.

One of the best show that uses HD video is Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa, the original "Savvy Traveler". Its 1080i video of some of the most beautiful sites in Europe. If its on your local PBS station, take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hd-head
I must agree. I think that the resolution and color processing used by the production company that does "The District" is the best on television. It seems the color film processing may be the key. They may push it one or two stops to get the finished product.
The look of a show, and this one in particular, is 98% determined by how it is lit and shot. Film processing is a standard process that is maintained to very tight specifications by all labs in the industry. Push processing film means overdeveloping it, a technique that is usually used when there is not enough light to shoot at the stop the cinematographer wants, so by lengthening the development time, the image is brought out more. It also creates more contrast and grain, and it is not a technique that is used routinely, except for the reason I just mentioned or for a grainy look.

"The District" was originally shot by Chris Taylor, who took great interest in achieving a look that was complementary to what HD telecine could achieve. The current director of photography is Blake Evans, who was the camera operator under Chris and has wisely maintained the visual style Chris originally created. Chris, of course, is still a part of the show as a regular director - he directs about 4 episodes per season.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hd-head
... the original "Savvy Traveler". Its 1080i video of some of the most beautiful sites in Europe. If its on your local PBS station, take a look at it.
The Savvy Traveler shows shot on HDcam are great. Fortunately, they are available on satellite via HDnet. Otherwise I would never see them, since none of our PBS stations here are HD or even digital yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.