AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured it would be a good time to start a build thread. New home has a decent sized space in the basement for a nice home theater, but of course, the basement wasn't without it's obstacles, that I spent a lot of time trying to overcome. The biggest obstacle was a lally column, directly in the center of the room, in the worst imaginable place. That actually turned out to be a blessing, because if it wasn't so horribly in the way, I wouldn't of looked into having it removed. I ended up having one removed and another moved and had the horizontal I-beam reinforced. Now the theater room will be column free!

The other obstacle was the low ceiling. The ceiling is right at 7 feet (the minimum required by code). I looked into having the basement dug out, but it turns out that was WAY more expensive than previously assumed. Especially since underpinning is basically required where I am (no contractor would dare mess with benching and all where against it). So the 7 foot ceiling height will remain, unfortunately.

After spending some time in the basement contemplating what do and a long phone call with @adidino, I came up with the design in the picture below. The Room is a nice size, length and width wise. Should be pretty nice when done. There's gonna be a lot of good gear shoehorned into this room! Equipment closet located in the rear of the room, which will also have the projector in it, so all equipment will be in a separate room. Speakers and subs will be behind the A/T screen, in the walls and ceiling, so nothing should be visible in the room.

Disregard the mess in some pictures. They're older pictures and all I have left of the room in that state. The last pictures is where I'm at now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Finished framing today for the most part. A few little things hear and there perhaps, but the bulk of it is done. Electrician should be coming next week to put in the outlets and get the subpanel for the theater equipment going in.

The front wall where the windows are is where the false wall and the screen are going. That's why you don't see framing there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Everything looks clean and level for framing. What type of recessed can lighting are you using?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything looks clean and level for framing. What type of recessed can lighting are you using?
Not completely sure what can lights are in place, they were there when I bought the house, they were just repositioned and spaced appropriately. I’ll check and report back. I want to add sconces as well.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The can lighting I have up there now is huge. I'm gonna replace them all with can-less recessed lighting so I can fit more soundproofing insulation between the joists and behind the lights. I may add a bunch as well, probably will have about 12 high hats and 6 sconces.

Nice design, you have a lot of space to play with, so it makes sense to get adventurous with the walls like you did. This is going to turn out to be a really nice one, I have a feeling.
Thank you, I hope so! I'm gonna do my best! It's the finishing stuff I'm not very creative with. I've been looking at pictures to try and get ideas on how I can make the space nice looking AND functional.

On a separate note, is there any difference between these 2 types of insulation from Rockwool? I'm gonna use this combined with mass loaded vinyl to attempt to dampen the sound that escapes and enters the room. The room won't be sound proof (can't afford to lose any vertical real estate) but using rockwool and mass loaded vinyl should definitely help and be better than regular ol' insulation.

Here are the 2 I'm referring to. One I can easily grab at my local home depot and the other it looks like I'd have to order online and pay over $1,000 to ship! :eek:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ROCKWOOL-Safe-n-Sound-3-in-x-15-1-4-in-x-47-in-Soundproofing-Stone-Wool-Insulation-12-Bags-RXSS31525/205972532

https://www.buyinsulationproductstore.com/4-thick-4-mineral-wool-acoustical-board/

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
The can lighting I have up there now is huge. I'm gonna replace them all with can-less recessed lighting so I can fit more soundproofing insulation between the joists and behind the lights. I may add a bunch as well, probably will have about 12 high hats and 6 sconces.
I thought they looked huge - thanks!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any concerns about doing Atmos with the 7' ceiling?
I did have some, yes. I’m just gonna get the widest dispersion in ceilings I can get that will keep up with the rest of my system, place them as optimally as possible for the MLP. Not too much else I can do with the low ceiling.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven’t posted progress in a while. MLV was put up, quietrock Sheetrock and started mudding. Had to make a secret door on the front left of the room, behind the screen wall. So many annoying things in basements that you just might need access to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once the spackling is done, gonna build the riser, stage, columns put up some molding with LED accent lighting, paint etc. I have an acoustical treatment planned put together by Gerry Lemay of QuestAI as well. Looking forward to implementing that and hearing how my M2's sound in this room!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Riser is done. Now the stage, colums, moulding, paint, Quest treatments and carpet. The riser has the wiring in place for the LED strips around the lip and step lip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Framed out the columns. Trying to decide if I should go with MDF or birch for the columns. With the color scheme I’m most likely going with, the columns are going to be black.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love it! I have a support pole right in my to be theater area as well and don't even want to know the cost and labor to have it moved/removed.

3 M2's for LCR? Impressive!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts