AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Love it! I have a support pole right in my to be theater area as well and don't even want to know the cost and labor to have it moved/removed.

3 M2's for LCR? Impressive!
I would check you might be surprised in a good way. I installed one in our last house had to cut a 3'x3' hole in the floor pour a footing, shore up up on both sides, put in the new beam, done. really didn't take that long. The worst part was the mess from cutting up the floor...oh and when it creaked as I removed the temp braces not gonna lie with two stories above me I about had an accident LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would check you might be surprised in a good way. I installed one in our last house had to cut a 3'x3' hole in the floor pour a footing, shore up up on both sides, put in the new beam, done. really didn't take that long. The worst part was the mess from cutting up the floor...oh and when it creaked as I removed the temp braces not gonna lie with two stories above me I about had an accident LOL
I'll be asking our GC tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Love it! I have a support pole right in my to be theater area as well and don't even want to know the cost and labor to have it moved/removed.

3 M2's for LCR? Impressive!
Thank you!

Like what was said, it’s actually not as bad as you might think. In my particular situation, the engineered plans and labor was $3,200 to remove the column and reinforce the existing I-beam. Well worth it, the room wouldn’t be anywhere NEAR as nice if that pole was in the middle.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Banged out most of the stage. The part behind the screen is done with 2x4s. My speakers are tall, I didn’t want to raise them too high.

1-1/2" floor drop over 10-12' a little frustrating to deal with . I like the shore up though. .. nothing's ever plumb, level, square.. make the best of it.. keep up the good work.

Have you used MLV before?.. I seriously considered it in my build, but could not source it. also had a questions as to using Quiet Rock vs 2-layers of 5/8" with Green Glue? or clips and channel. Does the room within a room help that much? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. thanx

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1-1/2" floor drop over 10-12' a little frustrating to deal with . I like the shore up though. .. nothing's ever plumb, level, square.. make the best of it.. keep up the good work.

Have you used MLV before?.. I seriously considered it in my build, but could not source it. also had a questions as to using Quiet Rock vs 2-layers of 5/8" with Green Glue? or clips and channel. Does the room within a room help that much? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. thanx
Especially down here, the slab is very crooked. I had to put 3/4" pieces of wood under the right side of the stage to make it level. Hoping the carpet hides that.

This is my first time using MLV or quiet rock. I've never tried building a soundproof room before, this is a first for me. With that being said, some rules here are broken. I didn't use channel or 2 layers of drywall because I didn't want to lose precious inches in the room, especially with the ceiling so I just used MLV and one layer of quietrock to reduce sound transmission. I'm sure channel and double sheetrock would help though, especially with the low frequencies. What I did certainly made a difference though. I can scream in the room and can barely be heard on the floor above. Prior to the build, you could clearly hear a quiet conversation. When the door is up, I expect that to improve even more.

I got the MLV from amazon. It was the best price when considering the shipping costs other websites charge. Spent over $2k on MLV but I feel like it was the most effective thing I've done for sound transmission. Once that was up, that's when I noticed the sound wasn't escaping the way it was.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you posted which components and speakers you will be using? I noticed the 3 M2's thats for sure.

Was it difficult finding a 3rd M2?

·
Registered
33 Posts
That should be an awesome front soundstage. What subs did you choose (and speakers)?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have you posted which components and speakers you will be using? I noticed the 3 M2's thats for sure.

Was it difficult finding a 3rd M2?
3 M2s, 2 JBL 5628 subs, 6 JBL SCL-4s for surrounds and 6 SCL-5s for atmos. The processor is ultimately gonna be an altitude 16. I have an Anthem AVM60. Blu-ray player is gonna be a Panasonic UB9000 and JVC RS2000/NX7 for a projector.

That should be an awesome front soundstage. What subs did you choose (and speakers)?
Subs are JBL 5628's. Friggin huge. Still in the box right now

Looks great so far!
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
11 foot wide 2.39:1 Seymour Center Stage XD screen. Distance to the MLP is slightly under 11 feet.
Very interesting. I'm about to begin my HT and looks like the MLP is somewhere around 11-13' and I am freaking out that its too close. Have a 127" 16:9 screen which would be nice to use again but it might be easier to get a new screen that is a bit smaller. Maybe 115-120 would help.

Three M2s will be incredible! I might get there someday but for now it may be 4722n, Cat 12 or JBL 708p. Upgrades can always wait..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Very interesting. I'm about to begin my HT and looks like the MLP is somewhere around 11-13' and I am freaking out that its too close. Have a 127" 16:9 screen which would be nice to use again but it might be easier to get a new screen that is a bit smaller. Maybe 115-120 would help.

Three M2s will be incredible! I might get there someday but for now it may be 4722n, Cat 12 or JBL 708p. Upgrades can always wait..
I don't think that would be too big at that distance. I was 9' away from a 110" 16:9 screen and it seemed perfect.

I can't wait for everything to be up and running. I hope everything works out acoustically.

I had the Cat 12C's before the M2s. They were fantastic! I have the 708is also and used them as mains until my M2s arrived. Those suckers sound SOOO good! I would go 708 unless you want/need more output.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Most of the crown molding is up.

What is the preferred way of cutting crown molding? I’ve been using the method of putting one piece straight to the wall and the other angle cut piece cut out with a coping saw. I’ve seen where people just cut both at an angle and have them meet. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either method?

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Most of the crown molding is up.

What is the preferred way of cutting crown molding? I’ve been using the method of putting one piece straight to the wall and the other angle cut piece cut out with a coping saw. I’ve seen where people just cut both at an angle and have them meet. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either method?
I find the coping method best for several reasons. You can cut both at an angle and have them meet - but residential walls are rarely square to each other and finding the right angles is more trouble than coping. Also, wood expands and contracts with weather changes which can cause even a tight miter to open up as the wood shrinks. Stick with coping.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I love the unusual shape of your room within a room and they way you have your projector and equipment in a room behind the theater. How did you come up with the shape of the room? What do you have planned for acoustic treatments?

And holy cow, Batman at the system you are putting together. You're sparing no expense, for sure. What projector and screen are you thinking?

My entire theater build cost about the same as your processor, but I am following your build and drooling the whole time.....it really looks fantastic.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I love the unusual shape of your room within a room and they way you have your projector and equipment in a room behind the theater. How did you come up with the shape of the room? What do you have planned for acoustic treatments?

And holy cow, Batman at the system you are putting together. You're sparing no expense, for sure. What projector and screen are you thinking?

My entire theater build cost about the same as your processor, but I am following your build and drooling the whole time.....it really looks fantastic.
Thank you! The shape of the room came from spending a lot of time down there, assessing where obstacles were, and trying to maximize space around those obstacles. I then made the design on AutoCAD and the more I played with it, the more it developed into what it is. As far as treatments, Gerry Lemay of Quest Acoustics took care of that. I sent him the CAD drawing and dimensions and he came up with a treatment plan with the proper products.

As far as the projector and screen, the projector is going be a JVC NX7/RS2000 and the screen is going to be an 11 foot wide 2.39:1 Seymour Center Stage XD screen.

I'm excited about the equipment and biting my nails at the same time. HUGE expense, but I want to one and done it. I already have the M2's and subs, I just need to get the supporting surrounds and atmos speakers (SCLs) and might as well get a processor on the same playing field as the rest of the gear.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Room came a long way since my last post. Quest panels are (mostly) in, paint is done, carpet is in. SCL-4's have arrived but not installed yet.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 73 Posts