AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The room is 10' 8" x 15' 6", that was as big as I could get with the existing basement layout. It works great but I don't think that I'd want it any smaller.

The top half of the walls is actually a bit darker than it appears with the flash. Reflection has been a non-issue. Besides I had to make some concessions to be allowed to have my black ceiling, which now she agrees is very "theateresque" and cool ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks good Jman, I like the black trim. I was thinking of a dark red or black trim, now I know what it looks like. One more thing for me to think about.

I'm only gonna warn ya once, every cat we ever had thought the bean bag chair was a litter box. We still have the cats and no bean bags. Check them carefuly before you sit in em.

Phil

·
Registered
481 Posts
Jman, congrats on your good looking HT. How do you find the soundproofing quality of your suspended ceiling? Does main floor hear a lot of mid and high frequency? I don't think ceiling tiles can stop too much of bass.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

Phil, no problems with the bean bag chair yet but thanks for the tip :)

Ken, the ceiling is black Armstrong 2'x2' tiles in Ceiling Max. After weeding through much of the debate regarding ceiling insulation I decided that the best bang for the buck was just filling the joist space with yellow fiberglass insulation. The joists are 2"x10" s so 8" thick insulation fit nicely. Cost ~ $75. It works great for highs, pretty good for mids, and just ok for lows which is about what I expected. I did use mineral wool insulation for the joist spaces directly adjacent to the neighbors (we are in a townhouse). We are friendly with the neigbors on one side and they said they can hear the bass a bit at times but barely and that it isn't a bother. So I consider it a success.

Schmidt, the screen is a 8' x 4.5' Glidden Misty Evening painted on wallboard. Very happy with the appearance and performance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks cool! The cat looks comfy!!! I like the black trim too.....I have done that in my theater too.

Have you considered painting/applying a black masking border around your screen? The contrast is visibly improved and IMHO makes the movie watching experience all that more involving. Alternatively, you could paint your whole front wall black except for the screen and it (if you are looking for that effect) will help to hide your speakers so there will be no distractions. . It's only paint.....you can always go back if you don't like it.

BTW, If your ceiling tiles ever rattle, just fill up some quart-size lunch baggies of sand and sit them on top of the tile in the ceiling. The weight will help the tile stay settled.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yea Double J!

Looks good - enjoy your theater!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.