AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone else has this problem. I have a new 5040. When ever I momentarily lose power, the 5040 remains endlessly in the "Please Wait" mode. I have tried warm booting and cold booting and waiting 10-15 minutes each time with no luck. However, I did find one remedy. If I disconnect the ethernet cable and then cold boot, it starts up quickly. Once the "please wait" screen is gone, I can plug the ethernet cable back in and everything works fine. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is a common problem when using DHCP, but I have the unit set for a static IP address. Does this problem sound familir to anyone?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok this is going to sound really stupid. But I had this problem and it has worked for me several times. When you get the "please wait" message for a long time, use the remote and change the channel up one channel. This is the most stupid thing I've ever seen but it has worked for me several times. No joke.

Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts
If it stays on "Please Wait" you should try a full, cold reboot. This requires unplugging the unit for at least 20 minutes. Any less than that will only result in the same effect as a warm reboot.

After it's been without power for 20 minutes, plug it back in and wait patiently - do not hit the power button or any other - it will cycle through the boot process and eventually power off. Then turn it on and you'll get the Replay splash screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes! I don't nearly have the patience to wait 20+ minutes for a reboot every time the lights flicker. I went out and bought a UPS for the Replay today just to avoid the problem. Lucky for me that Circuit City was giving them away ($20 with a $20 rebate).

The good news is that the past three times that I have hit this situation, unplugging the ethernet cable then doing a cold boot has worked immediately. It would seem to me that there is some sort of software problem relating to the network services. Based on trouble I had with DHCP when I first set up the unit, my hunch is that there is a step in the boot processed designed to detect DHCP even if the unit is set up for a static IP address. Not having any network connection seems to make the boot process skip this step, and if I plug it back in when the "please wait" goes away, the network connection functions properly.

I didn't see anyone else mention that they had this problem, so I suppose that it might just be my unit. I hope that is the case.

·
Registered
923 Posts
There is most likely some voltage on the Ethernet drop that keeps the board from going zero volts. I know that IP telophony phones get their power from the Ethernet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow....I need to try that 20 minute cold boot process. My reboot time (from daily crashes) is around the 30 minute-1 hour timeframe, and that's when it's successful........

Also have mine configured for static IP, and I have seen on other threads (and noticed it myself) that the unit still tries DHCP even if configured for static IP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Guys,

OK, so I got gutsy and decided to void my warranty, but I did a lot of snooping around on power on the box.

The box never gets power over ethernet (which is really good because that would have really concerned me). I also found that all of the voltages on the board get all the way down to ground after about 2 seconds (or so).

It also appears that when you have the please wait screen up, it has not begun booting off the drive. I am assuming that most of the software it needs is on the drive, so changing channels up and down should have no effect.

If you are finding that it makes a difference having the ethernet cable plugged in, I have had some issues with my router everyone in a while not properly releasing an IP address (not sure if this is the issue).

Also, I would be very concerned if the boxes are crashing every day. I beat my 4K unit up a lot and it does not crash often at all. The 5K is still fairly new and I have seen a few crashes, but it takes in the order of 5-10 minutes to boot.

I am using a NetGear router (4 port with wireless access) and have the replay connected directly to it.

I think if you are getting excessive crashes or having troubles booting, it might be a good idea to exchange the units or complain to tech support. I have called a couple of times and the tech support representative was pretty helpful and mentioned that in the past issues are upgraded in the field. They did a pretty good job with the 4K product when I complained about bugs and most got resolved withing about 2-3 months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I unplugged the unit (power and ethernet) last nite and let it sit unplugged until this morning. Plugged in power only, let it boot, then ethernet. Boot time dropped from 30 minutes to about 90 seconds. I can also now delete shows without a crash. Over the next 24 hours should know if this causes it to crash less.

Thanks for the info tho about the voltage. Looks like wake-on-LAN is not used by the unit from what you observed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.